Anyone ever stop to think...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2014 07:52 AM by BlackMason.)
Anyone ever stop to think...
So I've been doing a little thinking about all this stuff. I got to a point of thinking what's the point? What's the point of this whole atheism/theism thing. As atheists, most of us carry an air of arrogance like you see in the matrix. The ones that know what's going on that is.

It seems all rather theoretical. I don't see any real life advantage being an atheist. We're not much better off than theists. All we do as atheists is argue. Shit. Is that it?

Is it really so bad being a theist? You believe in god, big deal so what? I'm talking mainly about those that were not abused in the name of religion. But as compared to the "regular" theist, what advantage do we have? Does this "advantage" warrant the attitude that we treat theists with?

Yeah I get that theists pose a threat to the education system to some degree. So as atheists we gotta fight to preserve the integrity of education. The average theist eats, sleeps and shits the same way we do. So what if they say a prayer before that meal or when they sleep? They're just as capable as any atheist.

*EDIT*
It seems necessary for me to add the following for clarity:

I'm talking about the attitude that atheists typically convey online.

I'm talking about the AVERAGE THEIST and not the fundie types Christian or otherwise.

Since I'm taking about the average theist, please don't post about them trying to change laws and shit. I doubt the average theist even cares bout that shit.

Finally, I'm questioning whether the attitude online is justified by anything observable.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
29-05-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Anyone ever stop to think...
The good thing with us is we live our lives using empirical evidence or at least plausible principles. If religion is under a court of law in a suit, their arguments cannot win - regardless how many theist lawyers they hire.
29-05-2014, 02:09 PM
(29-05-2014 01:55 PM)sanmayl Wrote:  The good thing with us is we live our lives using empirical evidence or at least plausible principles. If religion is under a court of law in a suit, their arguments cannot win - regardless how many theist lawyers they hire.

What? So THIS is why we act like bullet dodgers? I'm not surprised you took to the court example. Anyway the regular theist also uses empirical evidence and plausible principles. They just don't apply the same standard of evaluation to their beliefs. This is compartmentalisation. Perhaps we should all become lawyers?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
29-05-2014, 02:15 PM
I don't think there's much point. Religion irritates me, I feel like venting, I do so. No need to worry about whether it has utility. Arrogance? Well... whatevs. They don't have to talk to me.

But you are correct, it hardly makes a material difference. I mostly get on with the theists I am in contact with in real life and they are highly skilled and competent people. I don't discuss religion with them though. Where it makes a material difference I believe is in attitude and approach to life - when things are going pear shaped I don't waste my time wondering if some supernatural power is gonna save me, I make a fucken plan, and get my ass into gear Drinking Beverage

I also loathe the groupthink kinda vibe of theism. Some twit says loudly some pious shit about God and you're all expected to kinda look respectful... it grates me. Mostly I shut my trap, but now and then if someone says something egregiously silly I like to point it out Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
29-05-2014, 02:22 PM
We throw our hands in the air saying "I don't know the answer" when we cannot answer a particular question. Theists, especially the fundamentalists among them don't, they have answers to every question. They have the answers on their mind and their book prior to asking the question.

Prof. Lawrence Krauss point is very valid, he repeatedly said: don't assume the answer before even asking the question.
[+] 1 user Likes sanmayl's post
29-05-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm with ya there, BlackMason. Shy

Many people have trouble just realizing their atheism and once they do, they often obsess about it... it's natural to celebrate such freedom.

I think, once people get past all that, they find out that they can just move on as a secular person.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for militant atheism. I don't know if the militant atheist accomplishes any more or less than the quiet atheist who simply treads water. But loud people ... are usually not ignored. Good or bad thing? Who knows? Wink

Yea, I stop and think about this all the time. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
29-05-2014, 02:28 PM
(29-05-2014 02:22 PM)sanmayl Wrote:  We throw our hands in the air saying "I don't know the answer" when we cannot answer a particular question. Theists, especially the fundamentalists among them don't, they have answers to every question. They have the answers on their mind and their book prior to asking the question.

Prof. Lawrence Krauss point is very valid, he repeatedly said: don't assume the answer before even asking the question.

But I don't quite see the advantage of not doing all this. Don't get me wrong, I know how theists behave. I just wanna know if it's really worth all the fuss.

Even if they think a head ache comes from a demon, they'll still go get a pill.

29-05-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm not a militant myself, I'm just a random person just expressing my world views in an Internet board.Wink

The bottom line for me, as long as churches (of whatever religion) continue to mal-influence (is there such a wordTongue) the secular gov't in enacting laws of the land, while enjoying tax-free policy and continuing this to the next generation via installation of dogma to kids --- I'll always have problem with religious organizations.
[+] 4 users Like sanmayl's post
29-05-2014, 02:31 PM
(29-05-2014 02:28 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 02:22 PM)sanmayl Wrote:  We throw our hands in the air saying "I don't know the answer" when we cannot answer a particular question. Theists, especially the fundamentalists among them don't, they have answers to every question. They have the answers on their mind and their book prior to asking the question.

But I don't quite see the advantage of not doing all this. Don't get me wrong, I know how theists behave. I just wanna know if it's really worth all the fuss.

Because this thread of yours said that we are arogant.... Which is very wrong.

The most arogant of all are people that have a dogmatic answer to all questions, they know everything - and claim absolutism. We don't know the answers to all questions, and we are humble to admit it.
29-05-2014, 02:34 PM
I can't relate to the atheist you just described.

I don't express my atheism actively and I don't consider theists incompetent or anything.

I dislike and react to militant theists as much as I do to extremists of any kind, fascists, racists, you name it.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 8 users Like undergroundp's post