Anyone ever stop to think...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 12:30 AM
RE: Anyone ever stop to think...
(30-05-2014 11:33 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 11:07 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  "Tack" in the context here is originally a sailing term, meaning the alignment of a sailing vessel with respect to the current wind direction. It has a couple of different definitions within that parameter, but "taking a tack", or "taking a different tack", means turning the vessel (and matching the configuration of the sails) in a different direction with respect to the wind. There is "port tack" (wind hitting the port or left side of the sails) and "starboard tack", and the act of "tacking" means changing between the two, usually when sailing into the wind (with the wind behind the vessel it is called "gybing" (rhymes with "thriving")). There might be some confusion or conflation with the word "tactic", as a guess, as in "taking [up] another tactic". This is not the case, though. "Taking [another/a different] tack" means "changing one's direction or approach/ taking a different approach".

Thank you.

That is indeed not the word I intended to use.

World English Dictionary
tact (tækt)

— n
1. a sense of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others, so as to avoid giving offence or to win good will; discretion
2. skill or judgment in handling difficult or delicate situations; diplomacy

A much better word to describe dealing with or handling those of an opposing view. I emphatically stand by my word choice.

What you said, in context, was this:

"If you strike up a conversation about your beliefs, I, for one, probably won't say anything, and will probably try and exit that conversation as soon as possible. If you ask for my opinion, or if you, say, post on a web forum, you are going to get my honest, unfiltered opinion. That is hardly a christian persecution or white genocide. That is the tact nearly all atheists I have met take. "

It seems that you might be trying to emphasize or enunciate that atheists you have met "use tact", or "try to be tactful", and those phrases are totally appropriate, but the word "tact" isn't employed in the sense of "taking a tact".

But look, don't take my word for it; just do what I would have done and you should have done, if/when confronted with a word or phrase that someone questioned your use of -- Google "taking a tack" and find out for yourself.

Don't feel bad about it; for just one example I once was called on my having mistaken/misused the phrase " at a logarithmic rate" when I meant, and should have said, "at an exponential rate". Google set me free, I made the correction, and all was well.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-05-2014, 12:35 AM
I'm getting more tipsy at an algorithmic rate.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
31-05-2014, 12:40 AM
(31-05-2014 12:30 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 11:33 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Thank you.

That is indeed not the word I intended to use.

World English Dictionary
tact (tækt)

— n
1. a sense of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others, so as to avoid giving offence or to win good will; discretion
2. skill or judgment in handling difficult or delicate situations; diplomacy

A much better word to describe dealing with or handling those of an opposing view. I emphatically stand by my word choice.

What you said, in context, was this:

"If you strike up a conversation about your beliefs, I, for one, probably won't say anything, and will probably try and exit that conversation as soon as possible. If you ask for my opinion, or if you, say, post on a web forum, you are going to get my honest, unfiltered opinion. That is hardly a christian persecution or white genocide. That is the tact nearly all atheists I have met take. "

It seems that you might be trying to emphasize or enunciate that atheists you have met "use tact", or "try to be tactful", and those phrases are totally appropriate, but the word "tact" isn't employed in the sense of "taking a tact".

But look, don't take my word for it; just do what I would have done and you should have done, if/when confronted with a word or phrase that someone questioned your use of -- Google "taking a tack" and find out for yourself.

Don't feel bad about it; for just one example I once was called on my having mistaken/misused the phrase " at a logarithmic rate" when I meant, and should have said, "at an exponential rate". Google set me free, I made the correction, and all was well.

I had to google it. I have never heard that expression before Undecided . Very confusing for me! I had no idea what this tack business was about.

So I will take it. I was wrong.
[+] 5 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
31-05-2014, 12:44 AM
(31-05-2014 12:40 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:30 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  What you said, in context, was this:

I had to google it. I have never heard that expression before Undecided . Very confusing for me! I had no idea what this tack business was about.

*snuggles Michael*

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
31-05-2014, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 01:19 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(31-05-2014 12:44 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:40 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I had to google it. I have never heard that expression before Undecided . Very confusing for me! I had no idea what this tack business was about.

*snuggles Michael*

----FUCK, THAT made the whole learning-experience thing soooooooo worth it, didn't it?

....looks around for something to be publicly stupid and corrected about.....

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-05-2014, 01:18 AM
(31-05-2014 12:35 AM)Charis Wrote:  I'm getting more tipsy at an algorithmic rate.

<passes Charis the Launch Box with some nice comfy home-grown in it......Mmmmmmmmmmmm....

[Image: NightTerror_ss.jpg]

31-05-2014, 01:45 AM
(31-05-2014 01:18 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:35 AM)Charis Wrote:  I'm getting more tipsy at an algorithmic rate.

<passes Charis the Launch Box with some nice comfy home-grown in it......Mmmmmmmmmmmm....

*gasp!*

FLUFFY!!!Hug

31-05-2014, 02:22 AM
(31-05-2014 01:45 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 01:18 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  <passes Charis the Launch Box with some nice comfy home-grown in it......Mmmmmmmmmmmm....

*gasp!*

FLUFFY!!!Hug

I am SOOOO taking this to the SBT....

31-05-2014, 02:45 AM
(30-05-2014 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  The sentence is ungrammatical and semanticly incoherent.
*semantically

[Image: 0t82Piy.png]

Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
31-05-2014, 03:00 AM
I think I posted on this thread, but I am too lazy to check.

So did this guy lighten up or what?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.