Anyone ever stop to think...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 02:45 PM
RE: Anyone ever stop to think...
(29-05-2014 01:48 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  So I've been doing a little thinking about all this stuff. I got to a point of thinking what's the point? What's the point of this whole atheism/theism thing. As atheists, most of us carry an air of arrogance like you see in the matrix. The ones that know what's going on that is.

It seems all rather theoretical. I don't see any real life advantage being an atheist. We're not much better off than theists. All we do as atheists is argue. Shit. Is that it?

Is it really so bad being a theist? You believe in god, big deal so what? I'm talking mainly about those that were not abused in the name of religion. But as compared to the "regular" theist, what advantage do we have? Does this "advantage" warrant the attitude that we treat theists with?

Yeah I get that theists pose a threat to the education system to some degree. So as atheists we gotta fight to preserve the integrity of education. The average theist eats, sleeps and shits the same way we do. So what if they say a prayer before that meal or when they sleep? They're just as capable as any atheist.

Hopefully we have the advantage of not being delusional. I think not being delusional is a good thing to be.

The problem with theists is that they have to sacrifice reason to believe what they believe. History shows that when men don't use reason they always eventually end up using their fists and clubs.

I agree with you for the most part that religion in America is relatively harmless... for now.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
29-05-2014, 02:59 PM
(29-05-2014 01:48 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  So I've been doing a little thinking about all this stuff. I got to a point of thinking what's the point? What's the point of this whole atheism/theism thing. As atheists, most of us carry an air of arrogance like you see in the matrix. The ones that know what's going on that is.

It seems all rather theoretical. I don't see any real life advantage being an atheist. We're not much better off than theists. All we do as atheists is argue. Shit. Is that it?

Is it really so bad being a theist? You believe in god, big deal so what? I'm talking mainly about those that were not abused in the name of religion. But as compared to the "regular" theist, what advantage do we have? Does this "advantage" warrant the attitude that we treat theists with?

Yeah I get that theists pose a threat to the education system to some degree. So as atheists we gotta fight to preserve the integrity of education. The average theist eats, sleeps and shits the same way we do. So what if they say a prayer before that meal or when they sleep? They're just as capable as any atheist.

Seriously dude? Ever read a history book or a newspaper?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-05-2014, 03:02 PM
The unacceptable thing that theist fundamentalist do is that they permanently marked/labelled atheist as evil. Anyone that opposes their view is evil in their eyes, which doesn't make any sense.
[+] 2 users Like sanmayl's post
29-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Not sure what you are raising an objection too. Believe whatever you want, just leave me out of it.

If you strike up a conversation about your beliefs, I, for one, probably won't say anything, and will probably try and exit that conversation as soon as possible. If you ask for my opinion, or if you, say, post on a web forum, you are going to get my honest, unfiltered opinion. That is hardly a christian persecution or white genocide. That is the tact nearly all atheists I have met take.

The "who gives a shit" point goes both ways. You don't have to read our books, and you don't have to watch our youtube channels. To my knowledge nobody is shoving atheism and skepticism down anybodies throats.
[+] 5 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
29-05-2014, 03:06 PM
I could care less about religion. Creationism on the other hand I hate with a passion, and I want it to end(and if you knew me would know that statement is a hypocritical one.)

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-05-2014, 03:09 PM
(29-05-2014 03:04 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  To my knowledge nobody is shoving atheism and skepticism down anybodies throats.

I cannot recall a scenario, not even once when a "missionary atheist" knocks a strangers door to unconvert the master of the household.Tongue
[+] 2 users Like sanmayl's post
29-05-2014, 03:12 PM
All I do is inject myself with dopamine and oxytocin all day long.
(Only neurochemists or people familiar with neuroscience will get this.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
29-05-2014, 03:57 PM

"...like you see in the Matrix." Consider

Are you comparing religion to the Matrix?

It's time for some DarkMatter:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
29-05-2014, 04:22 PM
When you start seeing sharia courts in the US with a pregnant woman murdered by her own family by hitting her with bricks right outside the court house, then you might see a glimmer of what we rail against. On this forum we mostly talk about christianity, but theism does include all of the others. In the US and elsewhere its safe to have a disagreement about religion. In some countries that conversation ends with you dead.

So when you ask "What's the point ?"
I would say "Dig your head out of the sand"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
29-05-2014, 04:30 PM
(29-05-2014 01:48 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  So I've been doing a little thinking about all this stuff. I got to a point of thinking what's the point? What's the point of this whole atheism/theism thing.

Not having superstitions shoved down our throats and those of our children is pretty high up there.

Quote:As atheists, most of us carry an air of arrogance like you see in the matrix. The ones that know what's going on that is.

Really? Buy into theist strawmen much?

Quote:It seems all rather theoretical. I don't see any real life advantage being an atheist. We're not much better off than theists. All we do as atheists is argue. Shit. Is that it?

GROSS oversimplification. And no, that's not "it".

Quote:Is it really so bad being a theist?

Why, are you a theist now...?

Quote:You believe in god, big deal so what?

That's perfectly fine, as long as you aren't trying to shove it down my throat and my kids'.

Quote:I'm talking mainly about those that were not abused in the name of religion. But as compared to the "regular" theist, what advantage do we have? Does this "advantage" warrant the attitude that we treat theists with?

The ability to not believe in fairy tales, and not legislate them and the false moralities they espouse is pretty high on the list.

Quote:Yeah I get that theists pose a threat to the education system to some degree.
To a HUGE degree. But that doesn't even scratch the surface. Did you miss the discussion here about the "Wedge Document"?

Quote:So as atheists we gotta fight to preserve the integrity of education.

...and to stop the Wedge Bullshit, and the war on women, and the war on gays, and the many attempts at every level of government to impose their batshit immoral "moralities" on all of us.

Quote:The average theist eats, sleeps and shits the same way we do. So what if they say a prayer before that meal or when they sleep? They're just as capable as any atheist.

Non Sequitur.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post