Anyone ever stop to think...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 09:55 PM
RE: Anyone ever stop to think...
I can understand your query.

Here's my response.

Whenever we join a community of any kind, we know that there is at least one thing that all or most of the members there are interested in talking about. If it's a fishing community, we'll be doing a lot of discussion on fishing and improving our own knowledge and techniques in doing so. We can talk about fishing all day everyday here, because that's what the fishing community is about. We can't talk about fishing at just any given time in many places, because not everyone around us shares that same interest. Plus, when people start talking badly about fishermen around us, we can find refuge in the fishing community. We don't have to be active in the community 24/7, but that community is available 24/7 for whenever we feel we do need it. Not a requirement, but always an option.

Same with an atheist community.

As far as the point in being an atheist... well, I'm not sure if there's a "point" to being an atheist, so much as a cause for it (evidence). Being an atheist is simply not believing in god(s). It doesn't have a point. It just is. If anything, theism is what has the point to make.

I'm wondering... do you mean "what is the point of being an activist?" Activism comes in all shapes and sizes and varies in degree as well. Atheism may not have a point per se, but any form of activism (however mild or outspoken) would. One point of activism would be in making atheism not seen as "evil" by certain laaaarge portions of the religious circles in the world. Yes, that alone would be a start.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Charis's post
29-05-2014, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2014 10:20 PM by Banjo.)
I agree with Charis.

Although I am not active as an outspoken activist for atheism, I do have a long history of it. My reasons were not, I believe, based in arrogance or superiority. Rather, I have been motivated by history.

Atheism is a word based in insult. Atheism has always been a negative term and atheists have been seen as harmful to the society in which they lived. All based in fear of the gods. Remember, Socrates was killed because he questioned the existence of gods.

How does this affect us today? Well an atheist is prohibitted by society from becoming US President.

In some countries atheists are still put to death or gaoled.

One should not become too comfortable. History has a nasty habbit of repeating. In a modern society that has always been a leader in science and technology, America, is currently suffering from the right wing religious movement to enforce "Christian values", i.e. control, upon the population at large.

I became aware in the early 80's and motivated by Voltaire and Nietszche, I spoke out.

What kind of world is better for you, atheist. A world hostile to your existence, or a more tolerant world.

We all make our choices.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 8 users Like Banjo's post
29-05-2014, 10:52 PM
(29-05-2014 03:12 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  All I do is inject myself with dopamine and oxytocin all day long.
(Only neurochemists or people familiar with neuroscience will get this.)

Yea well... masturbation will only get one just so far in life. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-05-2014, 11:39 PM
(29-05-2014 10:52 PM)kim Wrote:  ...
Yea well... masturbation will only get one just so far in life. Dodgy

And you'll most likely come to a sticky end.

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
29-05-2014, 11:41 PM
(29-05-2014 01:48 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  It seems all rather theoretical. I don't see any real life advantage being an atheist.
I don't have to tithe and I can sleep late on Sundays, so there's that. Shy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
29-05-2014, 11:42 PM
These two videos from Hobbitgirl sum up the issue excellently. The religious frame of mind is unique: it has no basis in reality, and having no basis in reality, disengages such a mind from reality checks. The mayhem that results is cataclysmic, and devastates lives by the thousands daily. There is no such thing as harmless belief in the unreal (click the green arrow to reach Hobbitgirl's post with the videos):

(25-05-2014 10:07 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  

[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
30-05-2014, 12:10 AM
(29-05-2014 02:45 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Hopefully we have the advantage of not being delusional. I think not being delusional is a good thing to be.

Last night I was working on a post that deals with the delusional aspects of theism. Then my phone battery died. I'll try draw on my memory to respond.

We know that theism brings about a delusional state of mind. But I'd love to see a study being done on which group is happier. Theists or those who profess no religion. Life is tough. It gets the best of us when we least expect it. Is it at least feasible to think that theists are better suited to endure the rigors of life? The idea that you've got a sky daddy backing you in your corner of the ring can encourage perseverance. It can make someone go the extra mile. The belief that god is making me go through this trial because he wants me to be better adds a sense of purpose and direction. False as it may be, could these things make theists less prone to the pangs of depression? I ask this because from an atheistic world view there is no purpose. Life is finite and the idea that you're alone and no one gives a damn about what you're going through is damn shitty. We all see delusion as a weakness but does it also serve the inflicted mind?

(29-05-2014 02:45 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  The problem with theists is that they have to sacrifice reason to believe what they believe. History shows that when men don't use reason they always eventually end up using their fists and clubs.

This makes a lot of sense. Good point.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
30-05-2014, 12:14 AM
(29-05-2014 02:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  Seriously dude? Ever read a history book or a newspaper?

I'm sorry, Chas, you're gonna have to spell it out for me.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
30-05-2014, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2014 12:29 AM by BlackMason.)
(29-05-2014 03:02 PM)sanmayl Wrote:  The unacceptable thing that theist fundamentalist do is that they permanently marked/labelled atheist as evil. Anyone that opposes their view is evil in their eyes, which doesn't make any sense.

I seriously doubt fundamentalists can be described as "the average theist".

(29-05-2014 03:04 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Not sure what you are raising an objection too. Believe whatever you want, just leave me out of it.

I'm raising an objection to the sense of superiority that most atheists have. Are we really THAT much better?

(29-05-2014 03:04 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  If you strike up a conversation about your beliefs, I, for one, probably won't say anything, and will probably try and exit that conversation as soon as possible. If you ask for my opinion, or if you, say, post on a web forum, you are going to get my honest, unfiltered opinion. That is hardly a christian persecution or white genocide. That is the tact nearly all atheists I have met take.

I'm trying to adopt this approach less the unfiltered opinion business in real life. Unless I'm talking to a peer. But you seem to not get impetus in my opening post. It's the attitude that I'm questioning.

(29-05-2014 03:04 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  The "who gives a shit" point goes both ways. You don't have to read our books, and you don't have to watch our youtube channels. To my knowledge nobody is shoving atheism and skepticism down anybodies throats.

This seems out of place but true nonetheless. I'm not talking about militant atheism and shoving anything down anyone's throat.

30-05-2014, 12:29 AM
(30-05-2014 12:10 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  ... from an atheistic world view there is no purpose ...

WRONG! It is the atheistic life that brims with true purpose, REAL purpose, meaningful purpose, rewarding purpose, fulfilling purpose; purpose that transcends the individual and embraces the whole of reality. The only "purpose" theism aspires to is base demeaning obeisance to an irrational phantom tyrant. Not much reward or fulfillment in THAT low kind of purpose.

(30-05-2014 12:10 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  ... the idea that you're alone and no one gives a damn about what you're going through is damn shitty ...

Yeah. So slip the shackles of church and get out into the real world and participate in and partake of all the fruits of society and you'll discover a whole wide world to give a damn about, and wide acquaintanceship founded on diverse interests that gives a damn about you that doesn't depend on your toeing a narrow conformist line. Church is a great place to get lonely in - it's a lot harder to stay lonely outside its walls than in.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post