Anyone ever stop to think...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 12:40 AM
RE: Anyone ever stop to think...
The average theist probably gets ahead in life, IMO, because they ignore 99% of what their pastor tells them, and apply rational thinking in most areas of their lives. To me there's no real difference between such people and me anyway, just that occasionally they say something super dumb involving woo.

Where it might become a problem for them is if they are at a vulnerable point in their lives - they lose their job or something goes wrong - and they're predisposed to listen to some nutter instead of fixing the problem - then they might go deeper into woo land and start being *irrational*.

That's why I consider even token obeisance to religion as probably harmful.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
30-05-2014, 12:41 AM
(30-05-2014 12:16 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  ...
I seriously doubt fundamentalists can be described as "the average theist".

Not so sure about that.

See post #10 from Monster Riffs:

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-05-2014, 12:42 AM
(30-05-2014 12:16 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  I'm raising an objection to the sense of superiority that most atheists have.
How do you know what "most" atheists do or don't have? It sounds like you're just talking out of your ass here.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
30-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Not sure about a sense of superiority of "most" atheists. Certainly not above and beyond the sanctimonious piety that many Christians exude.

It's just people. We're conceited. Most animals are.

Now pardon me. I must go preen.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
30-05-2014, 02:51 AM
(29-05-2014 04:30 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 01:48 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  So I've been doing a little thinking about all this stuff. I got to a point of thinking what's the point? What's the point of this whole atheism/theism thing.

Not having superstitions shoved down our throats and those of our children is pretty high up there.

I hate it when people break up posts like this and respond in piecemeal fashion. You've taken what I've said out of context as a result. Consequently your response doesn't fit. Your entire post is like this. I don't have the stamina to respond to posts like this as I'm sure you understand.

(29-05-2014 04:30 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
Quote:The average theist eats, sleeps and shits the same way we do. So what if they say a prayer before that meal or when they sleep? They're just as capable as any atheist.

Non Sequitur.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble with the logic I'm making here.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
30-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Logic???

You just claimed to know what most atheists think!!

This atheist is beginning to think you are a theist posing as an atheist.
Consider

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
30-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Ok, I was going to be nice until I read this sentence specifically:

(29-05-2014 02:28 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  I just wanna know if it's really worth all the fuss.

You know what, dude? FUCK YOU.

Religion does real harm.

If you were an 11 year old girl who was the victim of genital mutilation, you would consider it "worth all the fuss." If you were a Jew in the 1940s you would consider it "worth all the fuss." If you got burned alive because your town thought you were a witch, you would consider it "worth all the fuss."

Don't you dare try to tell me shit like this doesn't still happen. Don't dare.

If you can seriously sit there behind your screen and be perfectly ok with literal, actual crimes against humanity then you're just a whiney ass hole who needs to get off the internet and go experience the real fucking world. Seriously. The only way you could possibly think that all atheists do is argue is if you're a social outcast who lives in your mom's basement.

Just go ahead and fucking leave for all I care. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 5 users Like Cephalotus's post
30-05-2014, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2014 03:49 AM by BlackMason.)
(29-05-2014 05:06 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I don't think of theists as being any different than me, other than the obvious difference when it comes to religion. You're stereotyping all atheists as having this attitude, yet I have never come across an atheist that thinks of theists as being any different than an atheist in their everyday life.

The assumption that all atheists "carry an air of arrogance" is a stereotype in itself. You're slagging atheists with the claim that all of us go around stereotyping all theists, then turning around and doing the same thing to atheists. I find that to be pretty hypocritical.

Ok you do have a point but it is was not my intension stereotype all atheists. My views are moulded by my experience on atheist websites and seeing videos by them too. I'm confident that my explanation isn't a far cry from what I've said. But you and others are right. Not all atheists are what I describe. A lot do fit this description which was my point. Perhaps atheists act differently in real life than what appears to be apparent online?

(29-05-2014 05:06 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  The whole premise of religion ("I was brought up to believe in the RIGHT religion, and all the people of other faiths are believing in the WRONG religion!") is incredibly arrogant. It assumes that they are the special ones, and all others who do not share their faith are expendables. I have seen a lot of heartless bullshit come out of the mouths of religious people, especially when tragic events happen. I can't count the number of times that I have seen religious people use horrific events like the tsunami that hit Indonesia, Hurricane Katrina, and the Sandy Hook school massacre as opportunities to tell people that these events are occurring due to people not following their religious beliefs. I've never seen an atheist say "See how all those people got killed! They're being punished because they aren't atheists!"

Yes! Theists can be arrogant too. We're not here to question that.

(29-05-2014 05:06 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  We do need to stand up to religion when it infringes on the rights of people. I'm not going to sit there and allow theists to deny the right of marriage to gays, or to have government condoning them pushing their beliefs on everybody else in our society.

I thought my inclusion about needing to stand up to things like the preservation of educational integrity would eliminate responses like this. Again, we're not here to talk about that. Please try to respect the parameters of the discussion.

(29-05-2014 05:06 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  You come across as saying that theists should be free of criticism from atheists, because atheists that do criticize religion are being mean. Theists eat, drink and sleep like the rest of us. They have the right to voice their opinions like the rest of us. However, their opinions are also equally open to criticism, JUST LIKE THE REST OF US! They DO NOT get a free pass!

You completely don't understand. Undecided

(29-05-2014 06:35 PM)Gaest Wrote:  Personally I think a debate centred around tolerance and intolerance would be much more interesting, and in the end much more fruitful in terms of coming together and actually solving issues. Because let's face it, neither atheists nor theists are going to suddenly disappear in the near future.

This is exactly what this post is trying to achieve!!! You sir/madam, are a fucking legend!!! Wow could it be? Am I dreaming? Someone who actually gets it.

Great job! Thumbsup

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
30-05-2014, 04:03 AM
(30-05-2014 03:34 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Ok, I was going to be nice until I read this sentence specifically:

(29-05-2014 02:28 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  I just wanna know if it's really worth all the fuss.

You know what, dude? FUCK YOU.

Religion does real harm.

If you were an 11 year old girl who was the victim of genital mutilation, you would consider it "worth all the fuss." If you were a Jew in the 1940s you would consider it "worth all the fuss." If you got burned alive because your town thought you were a witch, you would consider it "worth all the fuss."

Don't you dare try to tell me shit like this doesn't still happen. Don't dare.

If you can seriously sit there behind your screen and be perfectly ok with literal, actual crimes against humanity then you're just a whiney ass hole who needs to get off the internet and go experience the real fucking world. Seriously. The only way you could possibly think that all atheists do is argue is if you're a social outcast who lives in your mom's basement.

Just go ahead and fucking leave for all I care. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Best comment in the whole thread

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
30-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Agreed. Black mason is full of it. Why come to The Thinking Atheist site and attempt to undermine confidence in atheism, if one does not have an agenda.

Go back to your Xian website Black mason. Your crap wont work here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.