Anyone ever stop to think...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 04:31 AM
RE: Anyone ever stop to think...
Eh, the Mason's alright IMO... let's not be burnin' witches ourselves yeah? Point of discussion is exploring ideas. Atheism isn't undermined by questioning it. At the most this becomes an opportunity to clear up misconceptions.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
30-05-2014, 04:33 AM
Oh did I make an unfounded assumption about a person I don't know????

That is the point. Facepalm

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
30-05-2014, 04:57 AM
(30-05-2014 04:33 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Oh did I make an unfounded assumption about a person I don't know????

Rolleyes Carry on then.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-05-2014, 05:04 AM
(30-05-2014 04:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 04:33 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Oh did I make an unfounded assumption about a person I don't know????

Rolleyes Carry on then.

Thank you. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
30-05-2014, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2014 08:04 AM by BlackMason.)
(29-05-2014 09:19 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Are you currently going through some turmoil in your life? Did a close friend or relative die? Did you and your girlfriend/boyfriend break up recently? What's really going on in your life?

You don't have to answer that here. That is the question which first came to mind for me, because it just seems that most of your remarks are a projection of your own feelings, attitudes and perceptions. So, please don't use a broad brush. I don't fit the mold of what you said. Sorry.

I'll revisit this later.....

I'm not going through anything that would fall under the category turmoil or break up. However, you are right about this being a reflection of how I feel.

(29-05-2014 10:17 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I agree with Charis.

Me too. But she failed to address the issues in my post.

(29-05-2014 10:17 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Although I am not active as an outspoken activist for atheism, I do have a long history of it. My reasons were not, I believe, based in arrogance or superiority. Rather, I have been motivated by history.

Atheism is a word based in insult. Atheism has always been a negative term and atheists have been seen as harmful to the society in which they lived. All based in fear of the gods. Remember, Socrates was killed because he questioned the existence of gods.

How does this affect us today? Well an atheist is prohibitted by society from becoming US President.

In some countries atheists are still put to death or gaoled.

One should not become too comfortable. History has a nasty habbit of repeating. In a modern society that has always been a leader in science and technology, America, is currently suffering from the right wing religious movement to enforce "Christian values", i.e. control, upon the population at large.

I became aware in the early 80's and motivated by Voltaire and Nietszche, I spoke out.

Is this the justification for the air of supremacy?

(29-05-2014 10:17 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What kind of world is better for you, atheist. A world hostile to your existence, or a more tolerant world.

We all make our choices.

To achieve a state where atheists are tolerated, we need to patronise theists? Is your justification "Be loud and proud so you can be noticed?"

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
30-05-2014, 08:09 AM
(29-05-2014 11:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't have to tithe and I can sleep late on Sundays, so there's that. Shy

This I like. But does it justify the attitudes we see atheists portray online?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
30-05-2014, 08:21 AM
(30-05-2014 12:29 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  WRONG! It is the atheistic life that brims with true purpose, REAL purpose, meaningful purpose, rewarding purpose, fulfilling purpose; purpose that transcends the individual and embraces the whole of reality. The only "purpose" theism aspires to is base demeaning obeisance to an irrational phantom tyrant. Not much reward or fulfillment in THAT low kind of purpose.

You didn't say an awful lot here especially for the atheist side. You just said purpose with a whole slew of adjectives preceding. On the theist side you said something of substance.

(30-05-2014 12:29 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 12:10 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  ... the idea that you're alone and no one gives a damn about what you're going through is damn shitty ...

Yeah. So slip the shackles of church and get out into the real world and participate in and partake of all the fruits of society and you'll discover a whole wide world to give a damn about, and wide acquaintanceship founded on diverse interests that gives a damn about you that doesn't depend on your toeing a narrow conformist line. Church is a great place to get lonely in - it's a lot harder to stay lonely outside its walls than in.

My mentioning of that line was so I can link to a sub topic in this thread. Things like depression could possibly be resisted longer with the idea that some guy is in the sky voting for you. It anaesthetises the mind but it could help. Think of a pain killer. That's what god can be for theists.

30-05-2014, 08:23 AM
(30-05-2014 08:21 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Things like depression could possibly be resisted longer with the idea that some guy is in the sky voting for you. It anaesthetises the mind but it could help. Think of a pain killer. That's what god can be for theists.

God certainly didn't help me with my depression...

Truth seeker.
[+] 2 users Like diddo97's post
30-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Nope...

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
30-05-2014, 09:49 AM
I can think and walk at the same time....don't have to stop. Tongue