Anyone "famous" in your family tree?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2014, 09:14 AM
RE: Anyone "famous" in your family tree?
(04-08-2014 08:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Yes, and a Nobel Peace Prize winner at that. I don't feel comfortable sharing my last name online, though.

Well, since you're German...

Which was it? Brandt, or Stresemann?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Buddy Holly (Holley) was my grandmother's cousin

Obviously I'm not a direct descendant of the headless Anne Bolyn, but her aunt of the same name is in my line. (If the records on ancestry.com are to be believed).
My step family claims Robert E. Lee.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
05-08-2014, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 11:37 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(05-08-2014 04:55 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  My Uncle who died in .88 used to pilot for Pan Am also prior flew for Air Force 2. He is in the background in the famous photo where Jackie O is standing next to LBJ being sworn in.

cool! My grandfather, whom I adored, worked his way up from working in the mail room at Pan Am, to regional manager 30 years later, he retired from Pan Am when it was the aviation place to be. Sadly they went bankrupt years later and he lost the vast majority of his retainer due to he had everything through Pan Am, retirement, stocks etc...3 months later he was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and dug pretty hard into his savings to pay for the treatments out of pocket. Miss him Thumbsup

(05-08-2014 05:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My dad killed Glenn Miller.

Does that count?

Did he build the carburetor for the plane? Smile

(05-08-2014 06:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't know of a single famous or even remotely noteworthy person in my family tree... As far as I know, my family tree is as boring as I am.

My father has in the past claimed that I had some relation to somebody (eternally unnamed) who worked on the Manhattan Project, but I've never seen the claim substantiated.

I know who it is...YOU! you're that Atheist guy on TTA! You are the famous one Smile

(05-08-2014 11:22 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Buddy Holly (Holley) was my grandmother's cousin

Obviously I'm not a direct descendant of the headless Anne Bolyn, but her aunt of the same name is in my line. (If the records on ancestry.com are to be believed).
My step family claims Robert E. Lee.

Buddy Holly would be cool, Anne Bolyn is a really interesting back story for the family I bet, and I think every southern family claims a link to Robert E Lee Smile Not that I am discounting your step family's claim on any level hehe

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
05-08-2014, 11:34 AM
(05-08-2014 08:55 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 07:08 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So, do any of you have a cool member of the family tree somewhere? I thought this could be a neat thread....anyone kin to the jesse james gang members, or william shakespeare, or.......

come on...share Big Grin

Shakespeare has no living descendents; his grandchildren died childless.

Facepalm well, now I feel dumb Blush

Drooling

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
05-08-2014, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 03:28 PM by Free Thought.)
(05-08-2014 08:53 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 06:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't know of a single famous or even remotely noteworthy person in my family tree... As far as I know, my family tree is as boring as I am.

My father has in the past claimed that I had some relation to somebody (eternally unnamed) who worked on the Manhattan Project, but I've never seen the claim substantiated.

You're just not going back far enough. You're Australian, and I don't recall your particular background so I'll assume you're probably mostly of British ancestry. Literally everyone British is related to royalty given enough generations.

It's the magic of statistics!

Far as I know, most of my ancestors were British, with some French and German in the mix if tales are to be believed.

That being said; the idea of me having a relation to a royal is nothing but disheartening...

(05-08-2014 11:30 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  

I know who it is...YOU! you're that Atheist guy on TTA! You are the famous one Smile

I think there is a bit of a difference between being famous and just being consistently around enough to gain minor notice. Consider

If I was famous anywhere, it'd be at school for being a renowned PE bludger.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-08-2014, 03:52 PM

Does that count?

Say what?!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-08-2014, 04:05 PM
(05-08-2014 03:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Does that count?

Say what?!

exactly, that stopped me in my tracks...please expound DLJ, I would love to hear that story Yes

I looked him up (didnt know who he was tbh Blush ) and it said he died in a plane accident due to a faulty carb....which is why I asked if your dad had built the carb in that plane Smartass

05-08-2014, 04:07 PM
infamous but not famous
05-08-2014, 04:08 PM
(05-08-2014 04:07 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  infamous but not famous

Do tell Yes

05-08-2014, 04:10 PM
(05-08-2014 04:05 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 03:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Say what?!

exactly, that stopped me in my tracks...please expound DLJ, I would love to hear that story Yes

I looked him up (didnt know who he was tbh Blush ) and it said he died in a plane accident due to a faulty carb....which is why I asked if your dad had built the carb in that plane Smartass

I actually like his music.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces