Anyone "famous" in your family tree?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2014, 07:31 PM
RE: Anyone "famous" in your family tree?
(05-08-2014 04:08 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 04:07 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  infamous but not famous

Do tell Yes
A lot of people and all the police in Kalispell know who I am. My mom is a well known Doctor In kalispell MT who has somewhat of a following but a lot of people strongly dislike her. No , we are not famous. Infamous in a small city in nw montana though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 08:17 PM
No famous people in my ancestry (that I know of), but since some people are talking about just knowing or meeting famous people, I do have two of those:

(1) In 6th grade, our baseball team was no-hit by a guy named Shane Rawley. I believe I struck out every time up. He also beat us again a year or two later. And then he was in my gym class in high school. He ended up pitching in the major leagues for a number of years (I think he won 17 games for the Phillies one year).

(2) One of my summer jobs in my grade school/high school years was caddying at the local country club, and I caddied for Don Hutson once -- yes, the same Don Hutson who was the best wide receiver in the NFL in the 1930s/1940s, and still holds a bunch of NFL records. He was an old man when I caddied for him, but still able to golf in the 70s.

Those are my only close encounters with famous people. I've gotten autographs from Peter Kreeft and Hilary Hahn (and had a chance to get one from Bart Starr, but didn't want to stand in line), but that kind of thing isn't really the same as the two mentioned above.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
05-08-2014, 09:21 PM
William Tecumseh Sherman

[Image: General_sherman.jpg]

He was my great great grandfathers cousin. My dad looked just like him except he combed his hair, was clean shaven and didn't stick his hand inside his lower lapel.

Just a side note. My husband is from South Carolina, we live in Oregon though. He has forgiven me for my heritage and actually thinks it's kinda fun. Some of his more conservative family members in the South aren't too thrilled that one of their native sons married a Sherman. Gasp

When I first went back east to meet his family my future husband took me all around Columbia, SC to some of the places that Sherman burned and areas where he and his army and encamped.

and I'm also related to....

Roger Sherman who is the only one of the Founding Fathers who signed all four of documents. The Articles of Association, Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation, and the United States Constitution.

[Image: RogerSherman.png]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 11 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-08-2014, 09:29 PM
(05-08-2014 09:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  William Tecumseh Sherman

He was my great great grandfathers cousin. My dad looked just like him except he combed his hair, was clean shaven and didn't stick his hand inside his lower lapel.

Just a side note. My husband is from South Carolina, we live in Oregon though. He has forgiven me for my heritage and actually thinks it's kinda fun. Some of his more conservative family members in the South aren't too thrilled that one of their native sons married a Sherman. Gasp

When I first went back east to meet his family my future husband took me all around Columbia, SC to some of the places that Sherman burned and areas where he and his army and encamped.

Roger Sherman who is the only one of the Founding Fathers who signed all four of documents. The Articles of Association, Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation, and the United States Constitution.

Wow! That's very cool! Thumbsup
05-08-2014, 09:46 PM
(05-08-2014 09:29 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 09:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  William Tecumseh Sherman

Wow! That's very cool! Thumbsup

The first time I mentioned my relationship to General Sherman at one of my husbands family gatherings in South Carolina I would have heard a pin drop except for the sound of jaws dropping to the floor.

It was fun.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-08-2014, 09:51 PM
No one is up in our trees that I know of. They'd get arrested if they were, and the dogs would be barking.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Anyone "famous" in your family tree?
My mother, who has done extensive genealogy research, insists we are descended from William Wallace (historical figure played by Mel Gibson in Braveheart). I haven't confirmed this separately, and I have to say my mother's exuberance and insistence on repeating it so often makes it seem dubious (yes, I listen to my mother...most of the time). I'll have to confirm, but considering she's been doing this research for nigh upon 15 year now it may be as she says.

But, I'm told my father's family name comes from County Cork, Ireland. No famous people to my knowledge on that side.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 3 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
06-08-2014, 02:08 AM
Although he's not in my family tree, he alsmot was. My aunt was actually engaged to Tom Savini, before their relationship fell apart.

[Image: ick1.jpeg]

In addition to being the special effects guru for John Romero's zombie movies, he's been a regular staple of Tarantino and Rodriguez. Yes, he was Sex Machine in 'From Dusk Till Dawn'.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-08-2014, 02:17 AM
(05-08-2014 10:14 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  My mother, who has done extensive genealogy research, insists we are descended from William Wallace (historical figure played by Mel Gibson in Braveheart). I haven't confirmed this separately, and I have to say my mother's exuberance and insistence on repeating it so often makes it seem dubious (yes, I listen to my mother...most of the time). I'll have to confirm, but considering she's been doing this research for nigh upon 15 year now it may be as she says.

My husband is descended from Lord Pitsligo who fought on the losing side at the Battle of Culloden.

I don't personally have any claim to fame, but then I don't really know too much about my own family history. Keeping in contact with family members has never been a strong point of any of my relatives or ancestors.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
06-08-2014, 02:53 AM
(06-08-2014 02:17 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I don't personally have any claim to fame, but then I don't really know too much about my own family history. Keeping in contact with family members has never been a strong point of any of my relatives or ancestors.

Well. Actually that's not true.
Just being Mathilda, is a claim to fame in these parts. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post