Anyone have an opinion on Rome being a secular Empire?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Anyone have an opinion on Rome being a secular Empire?
Anyone have anything to say on how the Roman's were pretty dare 'secular' for their time? They probably had the most inclusive empire historically, prior to the reformation. Honestly, they did not ban worship of other deities, or place restrictions on worship as most people think. As long as it was on your 'own time' and not detrimental to Rome it was OK. They seem to be actually more tolerant than other prior and contemporary societies than most people normally think. Having such a overwhelming slave populace was probably the first reason. But is there any thoughts on this I may have missed?

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2014, 09:30 PM
RE: Anyone have an opinion on Rome being a secular Empire?
Some of their contemporary and earlier Chinese empires were more secular in their manners. There was a similar "religious" devotion to some ideals and leaders but not the same.

I don't know the details, but of what I've seen/read, I don't think they were as tolerant of opposition.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-11-2014, 09:33 PM
They had to be more tolerant, the area they conquered was just too big (for the time) for them to forcefully instill Roman everything on everyone they conquer.

[Image: oscar.png]
16-11-2014, 10:19 PM
(16-11-2014 09:06 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  Anyone have anything to say on how the Roman's were pretty dare 'secular' for their time? They probably had the most inclusive empire historically, prior to the reformation. Honestly, they did not ban worship of other deities, or place restrictions on worship as most people think. As long as it was on your 'own time' and not detrimental to Rome it was OK. They seem to be actually more tolerant than other prior and contemporary societies than most people normally think. Having such a overwhelming slave populace was probably the first reason. But is there any thoughts on this I may have missed?

The Romans, well at least the Roman Republic and early Empire were relatively lenient on their subjects in terms of religious freedoms, but I don't recall hearing of them being all that inclusive, given the practise of Romanization.

I'm not sure they can be called 'secular', at least not in the sense that we would use the word today since their myriad of deities were of considerable importance culturally and politically.

Personally, if there was any truly secular Empire, it was that of the Mongols: they had one of the most religiously open and diverse systems of the time; hell they were probably more religiously open than most of the world today. As far as I can tell, they seemed to have lacked an actual official religion in the Empire, unlike the Romans and Greeks.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
16-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Historically, empires have tended to be more secular in nature out of necessity. Fundamentalism applied to too diverse a group off people just leads to internal conflict. Forced culture, religion included, is better suited to obtaining the fanatical support of a relatively small group of people.

'Murican Canadian