Anyone here an environmentalist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Anyone here an environmentalist?
What do you do to help the environment? It can be anything - in your house, or locally, or more widespread.

and how do you deal with the pesticide sprayers, huge SUV drivers, tree cutters and other people who simply don't give a shit, but you still have to deal with on a day-to-day basis? I need advice. lol

Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2016, 10:48 AM
RE: Anyone here an environmentalist?
I eat people, which both removes them as a source of carbon footprints and reduces my reliance on harmful factory food production. So yeah, I'm an environmentalist.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
30-09-2016, 11:05 AM
(30-09-2016 10:48 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I eat people, which both removes them as a source of carbon footprints and reduces my reliance on harmful factory food production. So yeah, I'm an environmentalist.

only counts if you cook them using solar power.
[+] 7 users Like ShadowProject's post
30-09-2016, 11:15 AM
(30-09-2016 11:05 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 10:48 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I eat people, which both removes them as a source of carbon footprints and reduces my reliance on harmful factory food production. So yeah, I'm an environmentalist.

Solar panels are a petroleum product. I just use the flames from their burning village.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 12 users Like yakherder's post
30-09-2016, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 07:40 PM by Fireball.)
(30-09-2016 11:05 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  

Who says he cooks them? He could just hang the strips of meat out and make jerky, as well.

BoT, we use water sparingly. When the water company institutes cut backs, we have to tell them how many people are living in our house, because we don't have any to cut back. When we cook something in water, we take that out of the pot and dump the hot water on weeds, like in the sidewalk cracks. The heat kills the plants and sterilizes the soil, so no more plants grow in those cracks.
30-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Reading Yak's post immediately reminded me of this very short scene on the environment.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
30-09-2016, 12:33 PM
I could also consider myself an environmentalist as I try to do my best not to damage the environment.
In my daily life, it just means for instance that I do a compost for anything that is compostable, I will try to recycle anything that can be recycled. I'm vegetarian, I never use weedkilling in the garden, I don't buy a lot of things (for instance, I only changed my cellphone because I broke the previous one). Honestly, I know that's not much and other environmentalists would say it's far from enough : but what is the limit ? You can always do more. I used to be uncomfortable with that, but you have to define your own limits, so I defined mines : more would mean life would be more difficult (like yes, I could live without a car, but it would definitely be a pain). I found an article of few months ago from an environmentalist that had the same problem, I thought it explained it well (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...ng-ideas).

If I discuss about environment issues with people who never considered the question (or who simply don't really care about the environment), I'll just explain why I prefer to do this or that, but I'll never criticize their actions, first because I probably did the same before, but especially because I don't like when environmentalists try to moralize people by trying to make them feel guilty about their behaviour, I think it's often more damaging. For instance, I have seen a lot of vegetarian be very aggressive towards people who eat meat : that's ridiculous, why be aggressive ? There are now a lot of people who can't stand vegetarian because of those kind of aggressive behaviour. So, if I need to discuss the matter with people who don't care about the environment, I'll always do that in a friendly way : if people think some of my arguments are good and are ready to change a bit their habit, I'm very glad, if not, if they disagree or don't think environment is an important matter, I'm not gonna fight with them, and we can still be friend !
30-09-2016, 12:39 PM
I minimize my driving. Living out in the country, I have to go into town for anything, and that's fifteen miles away. So I bundle errands to minimize fuel consumption. Before my hip went south, I'd ride around 100 miles a week.

I'm careful about electricity use.I keep my thermostat at 78F in the summer and 65F in the winter.

I recycle cans, and the occasional bottle (back when I was a drinker, I generated an awful lot of bottles.)
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-09-2016, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 12:53 PM by yakherder.)
In all seriousness, I'm middle of the road. I have habits I developed from back when I gave a shit, and others I developed due to being a survivalist wannabe that happen to be somewhat more environmentally friendly than the mainstream alternatives.

I have an SUV, but ride my bike as much as I can get away with. I don't go out of my way to buy environmentally friendly foods, but my girlfriend is a vegetarian and we grow a significant portion of our summer produce in our back yard and I take my son foraging regularly. If I were single I'd probably be including foraged insects with my meals, but until my girlfriend gets rid of me I mostly keep it to roots, berries, mushrooms, leaves I can use for tea, stuff like that.

I have a compost pile which is both for the garden in our yard and for the landscaping / forest garden still in the planning phase at our backwoods property. And though I haven't actually eaten anyone, that's only because it's impractical due to laws that unfairly discriminate against cannibals. But I'm not beyond removing people from the carbon footprint making process if the situation calls for it.

'Murican Canadian
30-09-2016, 12:55 PM
I've downsized my V8 vehicle from a 6.2L to a 5.4L.

By decreasing my fuel consumption to 14MPG at least I'm doing my little bit.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post