Anyone here an environmentalist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2016, 02:43 PM
RE: Anyone here an environmentalist?
All great things! I enjoy hearing from people who are aware of their impact on the earth. Smile

Another vegetarian, we drive low emission cars, recycle everything we can, grow/eat organic, we have converted much of our yard to a bee garden, clover in place of grass, we live in a smaller house, etc.

Then little things like picking up trash every time we are at the beach, educating people when I can, volunteering for cleanups...

I try not to be one of 'those' environmentalists, but I do think there needs to be more a discussion about what humans are doing to the planet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2016, 02:57 PM
I just do those small things. Re-use stuff, use a backpack instead of buying plastic bags all the time. I cycle to work and back whenever I can (which is almost always). I don't own a car or motorcycle. I tend to keep and reuse certain types of containers that food comes in (ice cream boxes, jam glasses, etc)...
Nothing big, nothing that will really make a change, but at least I am not completely wasteful and I guess that is something

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
30-09-2016, 05:03 PM
(30-09-2016 12:55 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I've downsized my V8 vehicle from a 6.2L to a 5.4L.

By decreasing my fuel consumption to 14MPG at least I'm doing my little bit.

You deserve a medal and a statue in your honor. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Damn hippies.
30-09-2016, 07:19 PM
(30-09-2016 05:08 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Damn hippies.

Damn skippy!
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
30-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Gosh you folks, didn't you know global warming is a hoax made up by the Chinese??? Litter all you want!
30-09-2016, 07:29 PM
I am in favor of environmentalism, but I am too poor to put it into practice. Does it count that I don't drive a car, even if it's simply because I can't afford one?
[+] 2 users Like Jesster's post
30-09-2016, 07:38 PM
(30-09-2016 07:21 PM)ViolexTV Wrote:  Gosh you folks, didn't you know global warming is a hoax made up by and for the Chinese??? Litter all you want!

Bolded addition is mine. That's what Trump said in the first debate. #FuckingTrump
You just can't make that shit up, and don't need to. Trump will make it up for us.
30-09-2016, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 08:21 PM by Fireball.)
I know that this may piss off a few people, but here are two things that are not green-

1. Tesla cars. Being "electric" only means that the electricity generated for your car's battery was made in another state with lower emission controls, from a coal-fired plant. Dodgy Putting a sign (I've seen 'em) in your back window that says, "If you use gasoline, you support wars and exploitation of foreign countries" is fucking stupid, and makes you a credulous numpty. Notwithstanding the fact that the tires and the lubricants of said vehicle are made from oil. Laughat

2. The batteries in the Tesla and hybrid cars use rare earth metals, which, when it comes time to replace/recycle them, the rare earth metals are essentially inseparable from the rest of the battery. Facepalm

Some people here may know that I have an OLD truck (1970 Chevy), which I have mentioned gets dismal mileage. I will say that I only use it to go camping (which in the 7 years we've had it, we haven't done). I drive it as little as possible. If I had to replace it, I'd spend about $80k USD for an equivalent, and then add in the strain on the environment due to that vehicle's manufacture, which is non-trivial. Said replacement vehicle would use less fuel, but would never (well, in some number of decades, yes, but not in my lifetime) pay off the difference in reduced fuel usage and emissions. I keep it in tune, and it exceeds the emissions requirements in California (where I live). "Exceeds" in this case means it emits less pollutants than allowed...even though it is "exempt" from biennial testing.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
30-09-2016, 10:01 PM
I go around killing invasive species and eating them.

I say invasive because they didn’t evolve in this environment and are the product of human action but one could make the point that every living thing has been an invasive species at one point in time as it expanded its range.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce