Anyone here an environmentalist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2016, 10:06 PM
RE: Anyone here an environmentalist?
we recycle what we can. Use reusable grocery bags. Drive a pair of diesel Beetles that average 45 MPG for the work commutes. Only drive the truck when it is needed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
30-09-2016, 10:13 PM
(30-09-2016 10:48 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I eat people, which both removes them as a source of carbon footprints and reduces my reliance on harmful factory food production. So yeah, I'm an environmentalist.

[Image: pixel_flambe_by_steeljoe-d97akel.gif]

Been waiting ages to use that gif. Tongue

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
01-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Hi,

Walking down our road yesterday I saw a small snail on the side walk, heading out into suicide by tyres territory. I had my 'God' moment and picked him up (was it a he?). Anyway, he was all dried out on the underside and that's bad news for a snail.

I lifted him gently into a neighbours garden and put him on a juicy, damp, leaf. He was born again. Angel

D.
01-10-2016, 08:42 PM
I recycle because it's cheaper not because it's better for the environment.
Other than that I don't go out of my way to do anything simply because it's better for the environment.

Quote:Hi,

Walking down our road yesterday I saw a small snail on the side walk, heading out into suicide by tyres territory. I had my 'God' moment and picked him up (was it a he?). Anyway, he was all dried out on the underside and that's bad news for a snail.

I lifted him gently into a neighbours garden and put him on a juicy, damp, leaf. He was born again. Angel

D.

Snails eat plants. People don't like snails eating their plants. People use poisonous chemicals to kill snails.
Instead of a quick painless death by tyre you have subjected that snail to a slow agonizing death by poison. That a bird will eat that poisoned snail and become sick. The bird will take the snail back to its chicks, throw up into the chicks mouths who will get poisoned and die.

So good one, not only did you kill that person's plants but you killed the snail and killed at leats 3 baby birds.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-10-2016, 03:54 AM
(01-10-2016 08:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  .. good one...

Thanks. Smile

D.
02-10-2016, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 10:16 AM by Gloucester.)
I deliberately chose a car that almost runs on petrol fumes and with a lowosh carbon output - the Toyota Aygo which I use sparingly. That and careful choice of efficient lighting, heating, electric cooking devices and washing machine plus adequate roof insulation and double glazing also helps keep my bills down

I recycle everything the recyclers will take and use suitable boxes, instead of plastic bins, for storage.

I once tried to work out how many years a wind turbine has to work to "pay back" the carbon emitted from accessing and processing the raw materials, all transport, manufacturing, supporting industries, maintenance etc etc. Think it never did.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
02-10-2016, 08:50 AM
I try to minimize my footprint if I can. My car is fairly fuel efficient, and I don't drive if I don't need to. I try to buy my food and stuffs from brands that are sustainable and environmentally conscious. I planted 10 new (native) trees this year, a bunch of native flowers, and I didn't use any pesticides on my garden, either. Seeing a lot more bees around our house now, and the spiders have been doing great at protecting the garden Smile

I also rescued a snapping turtle from the middle of the road. Bastard wasn't thankful in the least.

It's not much I know, but once I move out I plan to do much more.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
02-10-2016, 11:18 AM
In the sense that I'm somewhat concious of some of my decisions but I have not taken steps to be a "complete" environmentalist yet.

02-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Thinking about the environment: it seems that in addition to those plastic nano-particles from all that plastic waste dumped in the oceans there is another plastic hazard for sea life.

Every time you wash your "synthetic" clothing tiny fibres shed and are flushed away. These have now been found in the guts of mid-ocean sea-bed dwellers.

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/news/micropla...-deep-seas

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
02-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Saw yet another article today on the devastating effects of wind turbines on local bat populations. We can't win Tongue

'Murican Canadian