Anyone here an environmentalist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2016, 12:16 PM
RE: Anyone here an environmentalist?
Our house is all electric. I hang the clothes outside when I can, and hang them in our spare bathroom when we are in the heating season. I have a 50 pint dehumidifier in there. Every bit of energy usage of a dehumidifier is gained back in heat. IF you heat directly with electricity it is a wash, pardon the pun. I regulate the humidity and temperature in that room and the house by varying the door opening.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2016, 01:29 PM
(02-10-2016 12:16 PM)skyking Wrote:  Our house is all electric. I hang the clothes outside when I can, and hang them in our spare bathroom when we are in the heating season. I have a 50 pint dehumidifier in there. Every bit of energy usage of a dehumidifier is gained back in heat. IF you heat directly with electricity it is a wash, pardon the pun. I regulate the humidity and temperature in that room and the house by varying the door opening.

I also have to use a dehumidifier. I have a glorified bed sitter with a small bathroom on the North side, it never gets any sunlight and suffers badly from black mould - despite extra insulation and an extraction fan.

Being on the second (American style) floor I have nowhere outside to dry stuff. I have to time my laundry carefully with my bathing so that I can load the dryer and lines after and use the dehumidifier to get rid of as much moisture overnight as possible.

During the day the window has to stay open, or the extractor on, all the time. Then I have to heat the bathroom again, there is no central heating. Or, if the heater is in the living room area I close the window and leave the bathroom door open. I cannot sleep in a room that is at my comfortable "daytime" temp, too warm.

Age induced poor circulation does not help, I will be breaking out the winter slippers and leg warmers soon!

With the fridge freezer and gas instant water heater the kitchen is sometimes warmer!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
02-10-2016, 01:44 PM
(01-10-2016 05:33 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

Walking down our road yesterday I saw a small snail on the side walk, heading out into suicide by tyres territory. I had my 'God' moment and picked him up (was it a he?). Anyway, he was all dried out on the underside and that's bad news for a snail.

I lifted him gently into a neighbours garden and put him on a juicy, damp, leaf. He was born again. Angel

D.

We have a zillion slugs around here and they eat my strawberries and all kinds of vegetables..... so I kill them. Evil_monster They also stick to my cat's fur and she brings them in the house. Ick! Ick! Ick!

Believe it or not but snail slime is put in skin care products to soften skin. I'm not kidding!

[Image: ht_mizon_snail_repair_cream_mt_141016_4x3_992.jpg]

Apparently, people who handle snails a lot (I'm guessing it's French chefs cooking escargot) noticed they had very soft hands from the slime and someone thought, "hey, let's put this stuff in skin cream!" So that's what they did. Rolleyes

Oh yeah, I forgot about the subject of the thread. Um, I recycle and ride my bike a lot.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-10-2016, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 03:36 PM by Dworkin.)
(02-10-2016 01:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We have a zillion slugs around here and they eat my strawberries and all kinds of vegetables..... so I kill them. Evil_monster They also stick to my cat's fur and she brings them in the house. Ick! Ick! Ick!

Believe it or not but snail slime is put in skin care products to soften skin. I'm not kidding!

Apparently, people who handle snails a lot (I'm guessing it's French chefs cooking escargot) noticed they had very soft hands from the slime and someone thought, "hey, let's put this stuff in skin cream!" So that's what they did. Rolleyes

Oh yeah, I forgot about the subject of the thread. Um, I recycle and ride my bike a lot.

dft,

My wife's the same. She has declared war on all garden pests, particularly slugs and snails. I once photographed her shouting at them!

I suppose if you shouted long enough a snail might go away, but it seems like a lot of effort. Confused

D.

PS - She recycles too. If I were on my own I wouldn't have the first idea what to do with the kitchen waste? I'd have to eat out all the time.

PPS - For some reason I do like snails more than slugs. I think it is the shell that makes them seem more human.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
02-10-2016, 04:00 PM
(02-10-2016 03:31 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 01:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We have a zillion slugs around here and they eat my strawberries and all kinds of vegetables..... so I kill them. Evil_monster They also stick to my cat's fur and she brings them in the house. Ick! Ick! Ick!

dft,

My wife's the same. She has declared war on all garden pests, particularly slugs and snails. I once photographed her shouting at them!

I suppose if you shouted long enough a snail might go away, but it seems like a lot of effort. Confused

D.

PS - She recycles too. If I were on my own I wouldn't have the first idea what to do with the kitchen waste? I'd have to eat out all the time.

PPS - For some reason I do like snails more than slugs. I think it is the shell that makes them seem more human.

(02-10-2016 03:31 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  I once photographed her shouting at them!
Laugh out load OMG. Laugh out load I'd love to see that photo. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Tongue RE: Anyone here an environmentalist?
(30-09-2016 10:32 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  What do you do to help the environment? It can be anything - in your house, or locally, or more widespread.

and how do you deal with the pesticide sprayers, huge SUV drivers, tree cutters and other people who simply don't give a shit, but you still have to deal with on a day-to-day basis? I need advice. lol

Smile

I am a recycling maniac. I use mostly organic products. I do not know what to about those people, but I give them dirty looks.

Lighthouses are more helpful than churches. — Benjamin Franklin
02-10-2016, 06:39 PM
(02-10-2016 12:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Saw yet another article today on the devastating effects of wind turbines on local bat populations. We can't win Tongue

And birds. Birds fly with the wind, and those turbines are situated in bird flyways for that reason. Dodgy

Another thing I do is collect the water that comes from the spout for my shower (which would otherwise go down the drain), until it gets warm enough for a shower. I can flush the toilet twice with that water, every day. If I get up at night to urinate (as is the case, being an old man), I don't always flush.
03-10-2016, 03:04 AM
(02-10-2016 01:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(01-10-2016 05:33 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

Walking down our road yesterday I saw a small snail on the side walk, heading out into suicide by tyres territory. I had my 'God' moment and picked him up (was it a he?). Anyway, he was all dried out on the underside and that's bad news for a snail.

I lifted him gently into a neighbours garden and put him on a juicy, damp, leaf. He was born again. Angel

D.

We have a zillion slugs around here and they eat my strawberries and all kinds of vegetables..... so I kill them. Evil_monster They also stick to my cat's fur and she brings them in the house. Ick! Ick! Ick!

[Image: ht_mizon_snail_repair_cream_mt_141016_4x3_992.jpg]

Oops, when I saw the picture, without reading the words under it, I wondered why anyone would want to repair broken snails...

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
03-10-2016, 12:26 PM
(02-10-2016 06:39 PM)Fireball Wrote:  And birds. Birds fly with the wind, and those turbines are situated in bird flyways for that reason. Dodgy

Fireball,

A slight digression. Last year a dozy wood pigeon fell down our chimney, and this is a three story house.

Then there was the crazy flapping around and mucking up our nice lounge, me with a towel and then a quick flurry to cover it and get it out of the window unhurt.

Snails are easier. Yes

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
03-10-2016, 01:07 PM
evetything that's supposed to be good for the environment carries a consequence.

I do drive a Prius, not for the environment but for the gas mileage. People love to inform me that my carbon footprint is no lower because of it. i really don't care.

I do try to recycle what I can, but the "rules" for recycling are beyond fucked up. Most people don't realize more than a third of what they "recycle" isn't recycled at all.

I do try to limit plastic use. I don't buy plastic wraps or bags -- I use my own bags when shopping that are made from cloth. I don't buy a lot of canned goods. I reuse glass jars when possible.

I have a glass jar that I use for honey. I buy it in bulk at Whole Foods once every few months. They weigh the glass container before it's filled.

I do the same thing for other bulk items, carry my own glass containers. My man thought that's stupid until he saw how much we saved.

I don't use the plastic bags for veggies.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces