Anyone here geocache?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2015, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015 04:14 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
RE: Anyone here geocache?
we enjoy it, kids like hiking and finding treasures.

DLJ - not all who wander are lost. Its a game of hide n seek. Geocaching is using GPS satellites to find boxes of treasures (trinkets for kids). Some are micro sized, some are huge. I have found one that was basically a modified pen cap with artificial grass in the woods, to one that was literally a bench, when you lifted the lid it had baseballs, barbie cars, nerf guns, etc in it. Some are earth caches that take you to a unique place to learn about a neat feature of the earth. They can be underwater, anywhere. The search is part of the game. Some are easy, some are hard.

I have got (and given) $10 gift card to the first person to find it. Met lots of fun people, explored many places we may not have.

And there are travel bugs, numbered trinkets that travel the world going from person to person, being picked up in one cache and moved to another. we have one that has gone round the world, its sitting in NZ now, been going for about 3 years with about 42,000 miles.

just another hobby, but makes hiking trails fun.....but they are hidden in cities too. Wink

put your address in at geocaching.com to find some near you.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
14-01-2015, 03:31 PM
(14-01-2015 03:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  we enjoy it, kids like hiking and finding treasures.

DLJ - not all who wander all lost. Its a game of hide n seek. Geocaching is using GPS satellites to find boxes of treasures (trinkets for kids). Some are micro sized, some are huge. I have found one that was basically a modified pen cap with artificial grass in the woods, to one that was literally a bench, when you lifted the lid it had baseballs, barbie cars, nerf guns, etc in it. Some are earth caches that take you to a unique place to learn about a neat feature of the earth. They can be underwater, anywhere. The search is part of the game. Some are easy, some are hard.

I have got (and given) $10 gift card to the first person to find it. Met lots of fun people, explored many places we may not have.

And there are travel bugs, numbered trinkets that travel the world going from person to person, being picked up in one cache and moved to another. we have one that has gone round the world, its sitting in NZ now, been going for about 3 years with about 42,000 miles.

just another hobby, but makes hiking trails fun.....but they are hidden in cities too. Wink

put your address in at geocaching.com to find some near you.

The "looking" was more fun than finding in my case.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-01-2015, 03:37 PM
I have (out of 4 started at the same time) one active travel bug that has been going since June of 2005, although it was last reported found in 2013. Over 16,000 logged miles, including two trips over the Atlantic.

Haven't cached in awhile, I should get out and go again.
[+] 1 user Likes Cthulhu Dreaming's post
14-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Yes! I used to GeoCache with my buddy all the time. On a camping trip we found a geocache in a quarry, and took the prize out, but didnt have anything to leave behind, so we left a toy capsule full of cicadas.

I was retelling that story a year later in college and my instructor gave me the death glare.

I shit you not, it was her GeoCache.

EDIT: The prize was an old doorbell, btw.
[+] 2 users Like Jasozz's post
14-01-2015, 04:11 PM
I was really into it for quite a while. It was great - I especially liked the multiples and the ones with historical markers and landmarks. Some of them were pretty damned elaborate and complex. I still sometimes do it although, usually only when I hang out with others who are really into it. I've got an acquaintance who has logged up in the thousands.

> LadyJane ... one of the very first caches I went after was entitled "Boo Radley".
After searching and rechecking coordinates in a public park... I swear, in all my life ... I never felt so much like Scout than I did the moment I notice the hole in a tree. I was transported to the age of 9. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
14-01-2015, 04:14 PM
(14-01-2015 03:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  we enjoy it, kids like hiking and finding treasures.

DLJ - not all who wander all lost.
we have one that has gone round the world, its sitting in NZ now, been going for about 3 years with about 42,000 miles.

It sounds like, from the others' experiences, that All that glisters is not gold

That one sounds positively unhygienic.

Consider

14-01-2015, 04:24 PM
(14-01-2015 04:14 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

DLJ - not all who wander all lost.
we have one that has gone round the world, its sitting in NZ now, been going for about 3 years with about 42,000 miles.

It sounds like, from the others' experiences, that All that glisters is not gold

That one sounds positively unhygienic.

Consider

Here's a photo of it. You purchase the metal tag, the reverse has a code number that the finder logs it with to mark where it is. The rest is whatever you want. There is a race that I join everyone enters a hot wheels car at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year there is a party to see which one has travelled the farthest...

[img][Image: imagejpg1_zps1e9a880b.jpg][/img]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-01-2015, 04:39 PM
I actually started collecting small containers when I learned about this. It became a habit, and now I have dozens of small canisters, Altoids tins, and tiny bottles. I'll definitely be more active after my move to the coast. Geocaching is pretty popular on Vancouver Island.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
14-01-2015, 04:45 PM
(14-01-2015 04:39 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I actually started collecting small containers when I learned about this. It became a habit, and now I have dozens of small canisters, Altoids tins, and tiny bottles. I'll definitely be more active after my move to the coast. Geocaching is pretty popular on Vancouver Island.

Pick up a cache before you move and take it with you. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
14-01-2015, 05:08 PM
(14-01-2015 04:45 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 04:39 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I actually started collecting small containers when I learned about this. It became a habit, and now I have dozens of small canisters, Altoids tins, and tiny bottles. I'll definitely be more active after my move to the coast. Geocaching is pretty popular on Vancouver Island.

Pick up a cache before you move and take it with you. Thumbsup

For sure. I'm going to leave a few behind as well. One of them from my last trip out west in fact.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post