Anyone here geocache?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2015, 05:38 PM
RE: Anyone here geocache?
if you know someone who will maintain it, you can do an adoption to change the cache owner, then you can leave them in place.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2015, 05:41 PM
(14-01-2015 03:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  we enjoy it, kids like hiking and finding treasures.

DLJ - not all who wander are lost. Its a game of hide n seek. Geocaching is using GPS satellites to find boxes of treasures (trinkets for kids). Some are micro sized, some are huge. I have found one that was basically a modified pen cap with artificial grass in the woods, to one that was literally a bench, when you lifted the lid it had baseballs, barbie cars, nerf guns, etc in it. Some are earth caches that take you to a unique place to learn about a neat feature of the earth. They can be underwater, anywhere. The search is part of the game. Some are easy, some are hard.

I have got (and given) $10 gift card to the first person to find it. Met lots of fun people, explored many places we may not have.

And there are travel bugs, numbered trinkets that travel the world going from person to person, being picked up in one cache and moved to another. we have one that has gone round the world, its sitting in NZ now, been going for about 3 years with about 42,000 miles.

just another hobby, but makes hiking trails fun.....but they are hidden in cities too. Wink

put your address in at geocaching.com to find some near you.

Where abouts in NZ?
14-01-2015, 05:44 PM
The few I've found were mostly just little scrolls you signed, along with a couple that were trinkets (we swapped them for other trinkets. I kept a toy car that I plan to leave here on the prairies)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
14-01-2015, 05:52 PM
(14-01-2015 05:41 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 03:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  we enjoy it, kids like hiking and finding treasures.

DLJ - not all who wander are lost. Its a game of hide n seek. Geocaching is using GPS satellites to find boxes of treasures (trinkets for kids). Some are micro sized, some are huge. I have found one that was basically a modified pen cap with artificial grass in the woods, to one that was literally a bench, when you lifted the lid it had baseballs, barbie cars, nerf guns, etc in it. Some are earth caches that take you to a unique place to learn about a neat feature of the earth. They can be underwater, anywhere. The search is part of the game. Some are easy, some are hard.

I have got (and given) $10 gift card to the first person to find it. Met lots of fun people, explored many places we may not have.

And there are travel bugs, numbered trinkets that travel the world going from person to person, being picked up in one cache and moved to another. we have one that has gone round the world, its sitting in NZ now, been going for about 3 years with about 42,000 miles.

just another hobby, but makes hiking trails fun.....but they are hidden in cities too. Wink

put your address in at geocaching.com to find some near you.

Where abouts in NZ?

north of Auckland, in a town called Whangaparaoa. Looks like near Shakesphere park?

know it?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-01-2015, 07:26 PM
I looked it up, I haven't heard of that park but the island just off it, Tiritiri Matangi, I've been too.
Pity it wasn't closer (as in within 5minutes walking distance), I wont be that far North.. probably ever, or at least not in the near future.