Anyone here old enough to remember the JFK assassination?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Anyone here old enough to remember the JFK assassination?
I am. I was Caroline Kennedy's age and my father was the same age as Jack Kennedy. Even though I was quite young I do remember this event. What I remember mostly is adults standing in the streets sobbing. The other thing I remember is Jackie Kennedy walking behind the catafalque and that incredible drum beat that was almost mesmerizing. Funny how an event like that stays with you for these many years.

Don't know if this is the right place for this thread.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 03:11 PM
RE: Anyone here old enough to remember the JFK assassination?
I was 14 when it happened.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
22-11-2013, 03:40 PM
I have snippets of recollection. I remember the murder of Oswald; that seemed shocking to my parents but that's the only way it "effected" me. I certainly remember the funeral on tv - it's one of the fist times I watched tv with any kind of focus. I do have an odd recollection of seeing John Jr standing there and I remember my Mom telling me that his Daddy had just died and this is his funeral. I remember looking at him on tv and thinking, 'That boy is like me so maybe he doesn't know what is happening.' John Jr and I were roughly the same age.

I am ambivalent about all the hoopla 50 years on. I guess I have sort of a detached attachment to the whole incident. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-11-2013, 03:51 PM
(22-11-2013 03:11 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I was 14 when it happened.

I didn't realize you were an old fart. Consider

I was 13. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2013, 04:12 PM
The assassination is the first news event that I remember. I was six years old. My father was in college at the time (late start due to military service) so he and my mother were of that younger generation that were really getting interested in politics. I recall so many grownups being upset by what was going on and being so young, I just knew that it was something big though I really didn't understand it all.

I went to Dealey Plaza and the 6th Floor several years ago when I was here in Dallas for a conference. I went with a coworker that is much younger. It was interesting the way he looked at things as historical while I was looking at them more like filling in the blanks between the things I remembered.

I live and work in the Dallas Metroplex now, it's a huge story here and there have been a lot of interesting interviews with people from here that are remembering the events of the day.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
22-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:I didn't realize you were an old fart. Consider

I never thought I tried to hide it.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
23-11-2013, 12:37 AM
It was before my time, but I am shocked, just shocked....that someone here is older than Chas.

I assumed that it was the anniversary of his death due to the amount of programs on History, H2, and NatGeo today. I watched a few of them. Although it can be hard for us young folks to understand its full effect, I found it easier to understand with one of the programs in particular which painted a picture of what all happened in broad strokes.

I also think his sudden and tragic death probably made him more well remembered than he deserved. I really think the biggest harm that came from his death was it allowed Johnson to become president, which would never have happened in any other circumstance. Not that I think JFK was a bad president as far as presidents go...

It also makes me think, I may be talking about 9/11 in a similar way if I'm still alive in 40 or 50 years.

23-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I was a Junior in HS....how young is THAT!!

Had a huge impact on me tho.....

Jackie was considered - IMHO - to be HOT!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
23-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Jackie was beautiful and classy.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
23-11-2013, 12:32 PM
I was a senior in high school, 16 years old, and sitting in physics class when they announced that Kennedy had been shot. A few minutes later the principal announced that he was dead and that school was closing.