Anyone here raised in a multifaith household?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Anyone here raised in a multifaith household?
Out of all the people I know only one has been raised in a family with multiple faiths and brought up to believe one or the other. In this case it was Judaism/Roman Catholicism. I myself was raised in such a household (Hinduism/Islam if anyone's curious) and each of my parents attempted to raise me by their respective religions. Needless to say, the massive contradictions between the two confused me and I became an atheist at a young age (15 actually). The person I mentioned earlier is actually ignostic now. From what I can tell, being raised to accept more than one religion is conducive to rejecting religion outright.Has anyone else been raised this way?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Draxironos's post
10-07-2014, 01:18 AM
RE: Anyone here raised in a multifaith household?
(10-07-2014 12:50 AM)Draxironos Wrote:  Out of all the people I know only one has been raised in a family with multiple faiths and brought up to believe one or the other.

HI,

Mum was Catholic but became C of E when she got married! Then she went looking for a new church so she went from Mormon, JW, Welsh Baptist, and final back to JW.
Dad went from C of E to church of wales and then agnostic. However, I think he was a quiet atheist!

My brother and I was taken to each manifestation of religious fever that each one was undergoing at the time!

We also have a large family my dad was one of ten kids and each one traveled the world. each-one would talk about what they had experienced and some of it was the religion of the places they had been at!

My road out was not based on knowing of all the gods of past and present but the fact that they would not stop people from fighting!

That was from the age of 8 to 10. Then I considered myself to be an atheist at 10 but I did not call myself an atheist until I was 12.

So yes a mixed house was a factor but it was not the driving force for myself!

Thanks for asking a good question! And welcome to the Forum!!

K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
[+] 1 user Likes JONES's post
10-07-2014, 05:04 AM
(10-07-2014 12:50 AM)Draxironos Wrote:  Out of all the people I know only one has been raised in a family with multiple faiths and brought up to believe one or the other. In this case it was Judaism/Roman Catholicism. I myself was raised in such a household (Hinduism/Islam if anyone's curious) and each of my parents attempted to raise me by their respective religions. Needless to say, the massive contradictions between the two confused me and I became an atheist at a young age (15 actually). The person I mentioned earlier is actually ignostic now. From what I can tell, being raised to accept more than one religion is conducive to rejecting religion outright.Has anyone else been raised this way?

I'm curious how your parents now view your atheism - do they blame the other for sending you the wrong way?
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
10-07-2014, 05:33 AM
My Mom was catholic and my Dad hated catholics. Does that count?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
10-07-2014, 05:36 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 10:48 AM by Anjele.)
My dad was Catholic and mom was raised Methodist. Mom hated everything Catholic - even us kids, it would seem.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-07-2014, 07:12 AM
I lived in the same household as both parents, grandparents also lived with us as well as two sets of aunts and uncles.

My mom was a Christian
Dad is a Islam
Granddaddy believed in all that Taoist stuff as well as feng shui stuff
My memaw was a wiccan
Auntie Jen was a Jew and Uncle bob was a Old Earth, old testament Creationist who also claimed he was a Mormon and then later converted to the Shinto faith a few years before I moved out.

I ended up as a militant atheist and my brother and sister somehow became a hindu and a buddist.

the worst part of all of this is that everyone in our household was fiercely militant and fundamentalists in all of our categories.

....I...have....NIGHTMARES of every holiday season.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
10-07-2014, 07:36 AM
(10-07-2014 07:12 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I lived in the same household as both parents, grandparents also lived with us as well as two sets of aunts and uncles.

My mom was a Christian
Dad is a Islam
Granddaddy believed in all that Taoist stuff as well as feng shui stuff
My memaw was a wiccan
Auntie Jen was a Jew and Uncle bob was a Old Earth, old testament Creationist who also claimed he was a Mormon and then later converted to the Shinto faith a few years before I moved out.

I ended up as a militant atheist and my brother and sister somehow became a hindu and a buddist.

the worst part of all of this is that everyone in our household was fiercely militant and fundamentalists in all of our categories.

....I...have....NIGHTMARES of every holiday season.
My question is simple whos holiday are you getting together on! After all if you add them all up you will never be in work! :-) K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
[+] 1 user Likes JONES's post
10-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Do Catholic-atheist and Presbyterian-atheist parents count as multi-faith?
Tongue

... this is my signature!
10-07-2014, 10:07 AM
(10-07-2014 09:44 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Do Catholic-atheist and Presbyterian-atheist parents count as multi-faith?
Tongue
I'm thinking that would be multi-lack-of-faith. Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
10-07-2014, 10:10 AM
I grew up in a Wiccan household. I was a baptist for a bit in highschool. If that counts.