Anyone here raised in a multifaith household?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2014, 12:38 PM
RE: Anyone here raised in a multifaith household?
(10-07-2014 12:50 AM)Draxironos Wrote:  Has anyone else been raised this way?

No, although my daughters are being raised in one (my wife is Christian).

Technically, with my parents divorced and remarried, I lived in a Lutheran household, and went to visit an increasingly fundamentalist non-denominational household every other weekend. They were both Christian, but it certainly was different in many ways.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2014, 01:35 PM
My father was an atheist and an anti-religionist.
My mother made us go to church until age 16, then we could decide for ourselves.

She seemed to believe it was somehow a good thing, socially acceptable, civilizing, or some such.

It turned out that she was an agnostic atheist the whole time. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-07-2014, 01:45 PM
(10-07-2014 01:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  My father was an atheist and an anti-religionist.
My mother made us go to church until age 16, then we could decide for ourselves.

She seemed to believe it was somehow a good thing, socially acceptable, civilizing, or some such.

Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
10-07-2014, 01:58 PM
(10-07-2014 01:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  My father was an atheist and an anti-religionist.

Maybe she knew that first-hand exposure to the idiocy of religion was the surest way to make an atheist of you.

Big Grin
11-07-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 06:16 PM by rampant.a.i..)
Catholic and Protestant. If that counts.

Mom is a San Fransisco Berkeley-attending Hippy, Dad is a wrong-side-of-the-tracks Catholic who went from freaking out over taking the Lord's name in vain, to vocally Gnostic Atheist, way more than I was ever comfortable being. Just from being exposed to material I saw in grade school, high school, and college, that had previously been kept from him because of his parent's religious beliefs.

They're both part of the reason I hate parental ignorance in education so much. Dad is a certifiable genius who grew up thinking he was mentally retarded for being born Dyslexic in the 50's, and a savant-level structural engineer who retired and went on to rebuild industrial and residental homes to code, has major construction companies where he made friends with the higher-ups to the point that they'd call him out on difficult jobs for his opinion, and went on to pay for his Contractor's license so he could legally work on an industrial project beyond casual suggestions. Local inspectors see his name and sign off on a project, knowing it will be done to code.

I still have an ongoing argument with Dad that makes absolutely no sense to me. He's beaten prostate cancer 3 times, and *knows* in his gut there is no afterlife, and that God is a fairytale. Yet he still gets upset when I disparage other people's religious beliefs.

I don't understand it. I tell him I don't care what other people believe, but I want them to seek the truth; because the truth is far more important than offending someone temporarily, and making them think. He still doesn't agree with me. I have no idea why.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes