Anyone here read NAILED?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Anyone here read NAILED?
Seems interesting. I read the reviews on amazon. I'm curious to know what people here think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2013, 09:41 PM
RE: Anyone here read NAILED?
This is the book talked about in the latest podcast, by David Fitzgerald?

It seems super interesting. I really like the author's approach in how he discovered what he lays out. He explains that he was just asking questions and trying to figure out the truth (of who Jesus was), this is what lead me out of religion- I just wanted the truth, too, and the more I searched and referenced the more I discovered it was all a lie.

I haven't read the book, I'd be interested to know how the author reveals his thoughts and the facts.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
06-06-2013, 12:09 PM
From a review on Amazon:

This is one of a number of self-published books along these lines that have appeared in recent years and one of several that has been written by a hobbyist who is also an atheist activist. While the idea that Jesus may not have existed is a perfectly valid one, there is a reason this position does not have any serious academic traction - it is very difficult to sustain without resorting to a lot of supposition and some highly contrived arguments. Unfortunately this writer's anti-religious agenda gets in the way of his objectivity, and I'm saying that as an atheist myself. The result is a work of clumsy amateurish polemic where the author's rhetoric far outruns his argument or even his grasp of the relevant material This book is a object lesson in the dangers of starting with an ideologically-based conclusion and working backwards to your argument.
06-06-2013, 01:58 PM
"While the idea that Jesus may not have existed is a perfectly valid one, there is a reason this position does not have any serious academic traction - it is very difficult to sustain without resorting to a lot of supposition and some highly contrived arguments."

But please take a book written during the bronze age to be flawlessly accurate and totally truthful.

Drinking Beverage

No serious acedemic merit? Says the random person leaving a review on amazon.com.

Uh huh.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-06-2013, 02:19 PM
(06-06-2013 01:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  "While the idea that Jesus may not have existed is a perfectly valid one, there is a reason this position does not have any serious academic traction - it is very difficult to sustain without resorting to a lot of supposition and some highly contrived arguments."

But please take a book written during the bronze age to be flawlessly accurate and totally truthful.

Drinking Beverage

No serious acedemic merit? Says the random person leaving a review on amazon.com.

Uh huh.

The question of the existence of a physical inspiration for "Jesus of Nazareth" is hard on both sides simply because he appears in almost no records outside of the gospels. Most scholars (and I tend to agree with them on this) believe that there was a rabbi that inspired the original base for the legend. As has been laid out elsewhere Yeshua ben Joseph is the prime candidate more because he fits with the story and is the actual brother of James (half) and cousin of John the Baptist (not sure on degree here probably 2nd or further). Now there are others it could have been and it may have been an amalgam of multiple sources (some real, some fanciful) but at this point it is like saying that Alfred the Great was the real life King Arthur. While he may have been the original inspiration so much was tacked on later that they bear almost no resemblance.

Had they gone with the Nazarene gospels and not added Paul of Tarsus' bullshit then we would know a good bit more. However to do that would have removed the preeminence of Rome and that was never going to happen. I find the history of the formation of the Bible fascinating cause you can trace the very real temporal powers that had a hand in it and see just why we got what we got (for the most part still not sure why they included Revelation at the last second)

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-06-2013, 02:20 PM

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-06-2013, 03:16 PM
(06-06-2013 02:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 01:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  "While the idea that Jesus may not have existed is a perfectly valid one, there is a reason this position does not have any serious academic traction - it is very difficult to sustain without resorting to a lot of supposition and some highly contrived arguments."

Drinking Beverage

Uh huh.

The question of the existence of a physical inspiration for "Jesus of Nazareth" is hard on both sides simply because he appears in almost no records outside of the gospels. Most scholars (and I tend to agree with them on this) believe that there was a rabbi that inspired the original base for the legend. As has been laid out elsewhere Yeshua ben Joseph is the prime candidate more because he fits with the story and is the actual brother of James (half) and cousin of John the Baptist (not sure on degree here probably 2nd or further). Now there are others it could have been and it may have been an amalgam of multiple sources (some real, some fanciful) but at this point it is like saying that Alfred the Great was the real life King Arthur. While he may have been the original inspiration so much was tacked on later that they bear almost no resemblance.

Had they gone with the Nazarene gospels and not added Paul of Tarsus' bullshit then we would know a good bit more. However to do that would have removed the preeminence of Rome and that was never going to happen. I find the history of the formation of the Bible fascinating cause you can trace the very real temporal powers that had a hand in it and see just why we got what we got (for the most part still not sure why they included Revelation at the last second)

There were also many myths that predate him that were obviously woven into the story. In any event there isn't any evidence to support a supernatural birth -- that even at times Mary herself seems to forget. A supernatural death, including the dead rising from graves etc., we can't even begin to suggest is true.

If he existed at all, he was in fact most likely a heretic, and completely mortal (possibly deluded).

I read somewhere the 'old testament' was rewritten at some point to better suit the new.

I also read once there wasn't really a "city of Nazareth" until early Christians made it.

It does give credence to the idea that a nazarene, wasn't a person who came from nazareth, as I was taught but rather a follower of a specific dogma.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
(06-06-2013 03:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 02:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The question of the existence of a physical inspiration for "Jesus of Nazareth" is hard on both sides simply because he appears in almost no records outside of the gospels. Most scholars (and I tend to agree with them on this) believe that there was a rabbi that inspired the original base for the legend. As has been laid out elsewhere Yeshua ben Joseph is the prime candidate more because he fits with the story and is the actual brother of James (half) and cousin of John the Baptist (not sure on degree here probably 2nd or further). Now there are others it could have been and it may have been an amalgam of multiple sources (some real, some fanciful) but at this point it is like saying that Alfred the Great was the real life King Arthur. While he may have been the original inspiration so much was tacked on later that they bear almost no resemblance.

There were also many myths that predate him that were obviously woven into the story. In any event there isn't any evidence to support a supernatural birth -- that even at times Mary herself seems to forget. A supernatural death, including the dead rising from graves etc., we can't even begin to suggest is true.

If he existed at all, he was in fact most likely a heretic, and completely mortal (possibly deluded).

I read somewhere the 'old testament' was rewritten at some point to better suit the new.

I also read once there wasn't really a "city of Nazareth" until early Christians made it.

It does give credence to the idea that a nazarene, wasn't a person who came from nazareth, as I was taught but rather a follower of a specific dogma.

Nazarene was a sect of Coptic Jews, and yes there was no city of Nazareth until like 50CE.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
(06-06-2013 12:09 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  From a review on Amazon:

This is one of a number of self-published books along these lines that have appeared in recent years and one of several that has been written by a hobbyist who is also an atheist activist. While the idea that Jesus may not have existed is a perfectly valid one, there is a reason this position does not have any serious academic traction - it is very difficult to sustain without resorting to a lot of supposition and some highly contrived arguments. Unfortunately this writer's anti-religious agenda gets in the way of his objectivity, and I'm saying that as an atheist myself. The result is a work of clumsy amateurish polemic where the author's rhetoric far outruns his argument or even his grasp of the relevant material This book is a object lesson in the dangers of starting with an ideologically-based conclusion and working backwards to your argument.
46 4-star reviews and 8 4-star reviews as I'm writing this and PleaseJesus went straight to the 7 1-stars to quote one. Rolleyes

But he didn't even put it in quotes to acknowledge someone else's work. Rolleyes

On the flip-side he made himself look like he said he's an atheist. Laughat

Anyway, I haven't read the book myself, but it looks quite interesting. I wish it was on kindle though. It looks like they may be intending to add it so I may wait to see.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
06-06-2013, 04:42 PM
It's on my Kindle, just have not gotten to it yet.
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post