Anyone here want to own a website?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Anyone here want to own a website?
The forum I used to post on, TalkFreethought, which used to be Internet Infidels, is probably going to shut down if no one steps up: https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.p...reethought

I cannot run the website for reasons. Anyone interested?

Full text:
Quote:Hello All,

About a year and a half ago, RayJ approached me and asked if I would be interested in taking over the ownership of this site. I had enjoyed helping run the IIDB back in the early 2000's and I thought I might enjoy running a board again. This site is rather self sufficient and really didn't need much of an owner/admin presence, so I never really had to do all that much. That is part of the problem. I have tried from time to time to dig in, but I just am not interested like I was back with IIDB. I guess I just have moved on from that time of my life.

So, we are left with what to do with this board. I have been very unfair to RayJ as well. He hoped by "selling" the board to me he could ride off into the sunset. Instead all that has happened is now the bills come to me. RayJ still does a lot behind the scenes to keep this place working and he no longer has the time to do so.

I am looking to see if anyone wants to take this place on. Here's the caveat though. We are running a highly hacked version of vBulletin 4. We are licensed for vBulletin 5, but cannot run on it with all the hacks. If we transfer ownership then we would need to move the forum to a stock Vbulletin 5 so that it can be supported by vbulletin. Right now it takes someone of RayJ's caliber to keep all the hacks running and we get very limited support from Vbulletin because of the hacks. The best bet would be to move to hosting by vBulletin (which requires stock v5).

If no-one comes forward then we will likely need to shutter the forums. I have a couple of months of funds from last year's drive (plus my contribution) in my Paypal account. We will need to figure out what we are doing before those funds run dry. For the new prospective owner - you should be able to fundraise to cover most if not all operating costs.

The Archives are not part of the deal. RayJ owns them and will decide their fate separately..

If anyone is interested feel free to contact me.

Scott

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2017, 01:51 AM
RE: Anyone here want to own a website?
Out of interest: what is entailed in running the site? what bills are there, how much are they etc. Is the site formally very active?

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
23-08-2017, 07:08 AM
(23-08-2017 01:51 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Out of interest: what is entailed in running the site? what bills are there, how much are they etc. Is the site formally very active?

Unfortunately it looks like they haven't mentioned any of that so far.

23-08-2017, 07:16 AM
(23-08-2017 07:08 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 01:51 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Out of interest: what is entailed in running the site? what bills are there, how much are they etc. Is the site formally very active?

Unfortunately it looks like they haven't mentioned any of that so far.
Ok, if you can get that information, I might be interested.

If the site isn't active and is costing money, then it's not really worth it [for me at least] in all honesty. If the "bills" are essentially a hosting fee or something like that, then let me know what that is, and as long as it's not something mental, again I might be interested.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
23-08-2017, 07:20 AM
If it has a lot of hacks and you move it to the next level platform it will crash. It would be a huge amount of work to preserve content on a proper platform. If it can be done at all.

Never use hacks on message board programs. It's disastrous!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
23-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Oh boy..

Pay money to put up with a bunch of bullshit.

If I needed that kind of action, I'd still be married....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Since the archive isn't part of the site, why not archive it, ditch the old site completely, require people to reregister and set up a completely clean new site using the latest vBulletin?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-08-2017, 07:31 AM
(23-08-2017 07:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  Since the archive isn't part of the site, why not archive it, ditch the old site completely, require people to reregister and set up a completely clean new site using the latest vBulletin?
A fair few sites I visit/have visited recently have done this, seems a lot easier in the long run.

Set it up again, no hacks, and get people to re-register.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
23-08-2017, 07:47 AM
(23-08-2017 07:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  Since the archive isn't part of the site, why not archive it, ditch the old site completely, require people to reregister and set up a completely clean new site using the latest vBulletin?

Because you will disappear from the search engines. The value of the site lays in it's indexed content.

Without the content all you have is the name - a bit of a value since it is aged but.... no content, no search engines, no new blood, not good at all.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-08-2017, 07:57 AM
It should really just have the server cost once running, and you could easily offset that with amazon ads for atheist books etc.

If I were charged with bringing the site into current functionality I would go to the vbulletin forums and recruit one of the people writing hacks there to move it to the new platform. That would cost some money, no idea how much but it shouldn't be astronomical.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post