Anyone in the microbiology or biotech fields?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2016, 11:54 PM
Anyone in the microbiology or biotech fields?
Hi everyone.

I'm currently pursuing a career in these areas since I find it fascinating and there seems to be a good degree of overlap between them. I'm almost positive I will like the work because I've been doing lab work as part of my education.

What I'm curious to know is if any of you have any insights or suggestions you would like to give your younger self? Maybe a source of cheap trade magazines or online resources. Do any of you currently work in these fields? How do you feel about what you do?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2016, 08:45 AM
RE: Anyone in the microbiology or biotech fields?
Ok, guess not. Undecided

Thanks for your time guys.
21-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Sort of in the biotech fields. Was employed as a software engineer. I'm actually a computer scientist. Currently doing Bioinformatics but don't really know much about what I am working on not being a biologist. Job is coming to an end soon though so will probably end up working as a software engineer again.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
24-10-2016, 10:10 AM
(21-09-2016 08:45 AM)Grimm Wrote:  Ok, guess not. Undecided

Thanks for your time guys.

Grimm, is it grim? Smartass

Please tell me, are there the discussion forums about your profession? Perhaps the ResearchGate is good? But I am disappointed by RG.

Your area has the secrets, so if you would like to become good scientist,
please, be less public on the professional topics: let them not notice you.

Best regards,
Dmitri.
24-10-2016, 07:09 PM
My brother is a microbiologist working in cancer research. I work as a medical transcriptionist and have also done some of the behind-the-scenes grunt work to assist people writing papers for publication -- Running to the library to fetch journal articles, editing manuscripts to merge corrections, that sort of thing.

I think it would be beneficial to assist as much as you can on professors' research projects and get exposure to many different aspects of the field. As you move towards graduate level, if you make yourself a valuable asset to the lead investigator on a research project you may even get acknowledgement in the final paper, which could be a boon as you launch your own career.

As for online resources, there are publishers and subscription services like PubMed , Elsevier, Springer and others. Your university may have some sort of license whereby you can get full-text articles (as opposed to just the abstracts) online. Make inquiries -- Almost certainly, someone you're working with will know how to access to the papers you need.

Best advice I can give -- and this holds true for all fields, not just microbiology -- work neatly, document thoroughly, and make yourself available when there's a big deadline or other crisis.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user