[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2011, 03:44 AM
RE: Anyone into meditation?
Nope - low metabolism , low resource use.
You breathe slower , lower blood pressure , lower brain activity - I think it's almost a form of controlled hibernation.
Also , theDoctor - could you please provide some "Idiot's guide to meditation" ? Please ?
My skull is legendarily thick and I may want to take this up to deal with stress but I have no clue where to start.
23-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Massachusetts General Hospital study has shown meditation changes the structure of the mind. Your learning centers grow and much more resistant too stress.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcas...a-11-01-22

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2011, 06:17 PM
(16-01-2011 12:22 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I'm not a Buddist, or a Sam Harris fanboy (at least I don't want to admit it) Tongue But I'd be interested in trying out some form of TM or other meditation to relax and clear my mind.

Anyone have any good online resources or tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vefh5e05d7A

....is an interesting video to say the least, the more science looks at this the more we learn so much more about ourselves.

Ive been meditating off and on for a couple of years.......what I will say is after some patience, where you get to the stage where you can simply "turn off everything" (you dont actually turn thoughts off, you simply acknowledge them and let them go if they arise......until eventually you are left with nothing)........just this moment of being ......simply existing......is so liberating that words are lost in its silence.

The benefits are many......The advice people give "sleep on it" is so true, however when I come out of a good meditation my mind is once again fresh and alive and I see things with fresh eyes again......much like waking up the next day feeling different about something.

It costs nothing to do and you can do it anywhere.

My advice for what methods.......sometimes I listen to music and nature sounds, these help me to "turn off" my thoughts........however I allways strived to use nothing except concentrating on my breath (in, out) and it is this way that I got the better results for myself.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
(16-01-2011 12:22 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I'm not a Buddist, or a Sam Harris fanboy (at least I don't want to admit it) Tongue But I'd be interested in trying out some form of TM or other meditation to relax and clear my mind.

Anyone have any good online resources or tips?
Ok this is kind of cheating but whatever. I have an app on my ipod I use with headphones. It's this thing called binaural entrainment. It's diff tones in each ear & your brain combines them to tempt your brain waves into the state you want. Sleep, meditation, whatever. I did a 20 min meditation when I first downloaded it & laid there drifting thru the most vivid memories of years past, it was trippy! Since then I have used the power nap & other med settings. Very nice on a long plane trip or when you're the passenger on a long car ride. Really zones you out to pass the time. There is a fade/alarm feature so you can keep it to a tidy schedule. Works for me. http://www.teslasoftware.com/

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
04-10-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm not a Buddhist but I stole zazen from them some three decades ago. It's what prayer is supposed to be.

This is not my signature.
07-10-2011, 12:34 PM

I sit zazen. Not religiously (hehe) but when I feel I need it. I also like doing yoga. I "learned" how to meditate at a zen center, but I would argue that there's no real Right Way to meditate. I know some people who think more clearly after running 4 miles and who would go absolutely mental if you asked them to sit quietly for 10 minutes.

Personally I shy away from TM. My best friends cousins are TMers. They live in the TM capital of the US; Fairfield, Iowa. I understand that the basic class is pretty cheap but past that point it gets very expensive. The Fixed Donation structure and the carefully controlled information from those not at The Top reminds me far too much of Scientology for my comfort.

Example; each person has a mantra that they are supposed to repeat. They say the great Mahareshi found a formula to discover the perfect mantra for each individual person. As it turns out, these mantras are not as individualized as adherents are lead to believe. The mantras correlate to your age, and sometimes to your actual birth year/month. That's it. Nothing special. Certainly not a formula worth thousands of dollars. But sense they aren't allowed to share their mantra with other members, and since they are taught not to listen to outsiders on the matter, they are kept in the dark.

Sure, the introductory class is benign and as skeptics we'd be the least likely people to take it any farther than that, but I'd recommend free instruction from a Buddhist center (or better yet, the interwebs!) than to pay even a small penance in support of a hierarchy that systematically oppresses its adherents.

If you are still interested check out the free-TM blogs and read this crash course:
http://www.caic.org.au/eastern/sydda/free-tm.htm

==Soap box over. Please resume your regularly scheduled posting.==
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't meditate, in the Buddhist sense. But I do meditate on the idea of death regularly. Five minutes a day keeps the depression away.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm pretty sure that I meditate on a usual basis. I really don't enjoy it though as I get REALLY out of it. If I stay in the tance like state long enough my heart skips beats....not fun.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
14-10-2011, 04:28 AM
(22-01-2011 02:49 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Ya o-o

Any meditations to speed up metabolism? xD

1 teaspoon of hot mustard will increase your bodies energy expenditure roughly 20% for up to 6 hrs.

15 mins or more of cardio will increase metabolism for the rest of the day. There is a law of diminishing returns after about 1hr/day of cardio. Exercise Intensity factors into that equation.

Amphetamines will reduce appetite but aren't a long term solution, they might suppress your appetite short term but once you stop taking it you will probably pack it all on again. Also it's not very healthy.

Gaining muscle is a good idea. Do squats or anything that trains the largest muscle groups in the body. Muscles burn energy even when you aren't using them. The more the better!

Make sure you have some healthy fats in your diet and that you eat less carbohydates/sugars than you would burn in a day. Your body always prioritizes burning sugar/carbs before it gets started on fat stores. By reducing carbs it gently pushes your body into burning fat - something that takes the body a while before it learns to adapt.

And once again I'd like to mention cardio - if you can that is the best way to lose weight. http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/Afterburn...ay-Fat.htm

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss