Anyone into meditation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2011, 06:24 PM
RE: Anyone into meditation?
I realised that I derailed this thread... Sorry about that!

Back to meditation, I heard about binaural beats. Apparently its supposed to help with meditation and it can help the mind relax and get into a meditative state.

I don't know what science is behind it that supports it's claims.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2012, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2012 05:37 PM by Luminon.)
For some years I do Transmission Meditation.

The myth or legend or claim behind this meditation or however you want to call it is, that it is about people lending their chakras and the rest of subtle body. For the purpose of cosmic energies to transform them on lower potency better usable for us. People basically serve as voluntary convertors of voltage, but the process also works as an advanced form of Laya yoga.

Theory aside, this meditation is some powerful stuff. Most of people feel the energy working through them. Some immediately, even if they never meditated before. Some start feeling it after several years of meditation. No kidding. I of course felt it all along, though not perfectly.
Basically, it feels like... Hell, I don't know if normal people do ever have such feelings. From what I heard, only when they're high.
But, the point between eyebrows feels like a hole deep into your head, pulsating, swirling and electrified. Something is flowing through it, under pressure. On top of your head, the feeling is different. It's like a slow, hot, electrically charged liquid would drip into your brain, irritating your nerve endings (which aren't there) in almost pleasurable way. A little deeper it all swirls and hisses in a typical high-pitched sound. And it all drips down into the spine and neck and heart, where it's slowly radiating out.
The energies of course change. There come periods when the energy feels less, impossible to say if it's more subtle or weaker. Sometimes it feels strong and intense, sometimes it's sheer pleasure, like your hypophysis would squeeze out honey full of endorphins. The parts of your brain that are not even supposed to feel anything feel almost like being given a sensual Thai massage.

But most of the time, it's just work. Sitting there, not moving, keeping your attention high. The true art is to somehow hook up in such a state of consciousness, that the sense of time disappears. (i.e. it goes faster and you don't have to sit there all the hours) Or the second best thing, to hit such a high, sweet spot in your brain that feels so well it keeps your attention. (don't know, how to describe it otherwise) Anyway, the less thoughts and dreaming, the better.

I can definitely recommend this meditation to anyone interested in meditation. It's so powerful that even beginners can get good results. And it helps your usual kind of meditation, whatever it is. Plus it's a wonderful opportunity to fight armchair skepticism and encourage skeptical tourism. If you think there are no stones in the sky... I mean, no subtle energies, find a nearest group of Transmission Meditation, join in and see what happens. They're very popular in Japan, but also in USA and Europe.

Anyway, I think it helps me to feel better and be more active in the ensuing days. Maybe I underwent some good changes of character thanks to that too.
(16-10-2011 06:24 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I realised that I derailed this thread... Sorry about that!

Back to meditation, I heard about binaural beats. Apparently its supposed to help with meditation and it can help the mind relax and get into a meditative state.

I don't know what science is behind it that supports it's claims.
There should be no controversy behind binaural beats.
Apparently, if you put on headphones and put a slightly different frequency into each ear, the brain waves will assume a frequency of one minus the other. In this way brain waves and concsiousness can be manipulated.
Hell, I remember seeing photos of an Inca clay flute with two (slightly different) resonance chambers, probably working in a similar way.

The technique was used in modern times by the engineer and astral traveller Robert Allan Monroe, but now it's taught all around the world by some Russian guys. My mother went through their course. Basically, they let you listen to these frequencies and announce them as they change. With a little training you learn to recognize the states of mind and switch between them voluntarily.

You can use this skill to get into the right state of mind if you need to meditate. Needless to say, my mom is very good at meditation, better than anyone I know.

07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh, never mind, I thought it said medication.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Meditation, (just like singing, chanting, running, humming, "praying", etc), releases circulating beta-endorphins. That's why it "relaxes" one, and is useful. No magic involved. It's well documented.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-01-2012, 01:49 AM
(07-01-2012 08:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Meditation, (just like singing, chanting, running, humming, "praying", etc), releases circulating beta-endorphins. That's why it "relaxes" one, and is useful. No magic involved. It's well documented.

I've found that it has a synergistic effect with medication. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-03-2012, 11:04 PM
(23-01-2011 03:44 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Also , theDoctor - could you please provide some "Idiot's guide to meditation" ? Please ?
I highly recommend Jon Kabat-Zinn's books - he's non-dogmatic, gives simple, clear instructions and tips, and he's also got a healthy scientific pedigree, for the wary out there (founder of the Stress Reduction Clinic and teacher of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction at the University of Massachusetts Medical School). I like to dip into "Where Ever You Go, There You Are" when I'm feeling overwhelmed, also "Full Catastrophe Living" is supposed to be a very practical resource.

Another tip: mine the Shambala Publications website. I also get Chogyam Trungpa's quotes in my inbox every week from them, as well as the quotes from Snow Lion Publications. Fantastic, couldn't recommend it more. Yeah there are some theologically Buddhist quotes that come through (i.e., say this chant this many times, etc.) but on the whole a lot of the quotes are practical snippets of wonderful wisdom.
29-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Meditation is really nice for calming the mind and sleeping much better. I have a hard time focusing, so I do guided meditation. There are some really nice audio files for free here -
http://www.fragrantheart.com/

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
29-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm into Asian culture and martial arts, but I have never seriously meditated. I know meditation is not meant to be race-specific, but I've seen way too many sinophiles and nipponophiles do it just because they wanted to "live" the Asian lifestyle. I guess this is what keeps me from doing it. I usually relax by taking a cat nap, reading, or, occasionally, drawing.

One of the books on evolutionary psychology that I am reading mentioned an experiment where they did a series of brain scans on accomplished meditators. They found that meditation deprived a certain part of the brain of oxygen, which caused it to release endorphins. The endorphins are what cause the sense of calm and well-being.
29-03-2012, 06:27 PM
(17-01-2011 07:36 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(16-01-2011 02:15 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Doctors have shown that meditation can lower metabolism up to 65%.

Surely that's a bad thing in the long run?

I think he meant resting heart rate. Meditation, (almost any way you do it), releases beta-endorphins. I like to run. Kills two birds.

Does anyone know what the tone of the musical scale is, that the monks chant when they do the "oooommm" thing ? (up in the Himalayan monasteries). Is it an a-flat, (g-sharp) ? (They say it's the "sound of the universe").

(08-01-2012 01:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-01-2012 08:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Meditation, (just like singing, chanting, running, humming, "praying", etc), releases circulating beta-endorphins. That's why it "relaxes" one, and is useful. No magic involved. It's well documented.

I've found that it has a synergistic effect with medication. Big Grin

That's cuz it's like a jolt of Morphine Sulfate, and why it's addicting. The chemical composition of endorphins is a lot like Morphine.

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
29-03-2012, 09:37 PM
(16-01-2011 12:22 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I'm not a Buddist, or a Sam Harris fanboy (at least I don't want to admit it) Tongue But I'd be interested in trying out some form of TM or other meditation to relax and clear my mind.

Anyone have any good online resources or tips?
Sometimes I wake up, and just kind of lay in my bed for a hours doing nothing. That is pretty close to meditation I suppose.