Anyone know about Binaural Beats and theta waves?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Anyone know about Binaural Beats and theta waves?
I'm looking for a way to relax more and came across binaural beats. Here is one at 7 Hz which is supposed to be in the theta wave range. I donno. It all sounds like a bunch of new age bunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66tq9xji0xA

Is this more placebo effect than real? Although placebo effect isn't bad in and of itself as long as you aren't trying to cure cancer. Thoughts? Opinions?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2013, 06:53 PM
RE: Anyone know about Binaural Beats and theta waves?
(08-09-2013 06:50 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm looking for a way to relax more and came across binaural beats. Here is one at 7 Hz which is supposed to be in the theta wave range. I donno. It all sounds like a bunch of new age bunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66tq9xji0xA

Is this more placebo effect than real? Although placebo effect isn't bad in and of itself as long as you aren't trying to cure cancer. Thoughts? Opinions?

Either my speakers can't produce that frequency or I can no longer hear it.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Ridethespiral,duh,human hearing range is around 20-20k hertz

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
08-09-2013, 07:03 PM
http://jetcityorange.com/binaural-beats/

they have 3 theta wave samples(10 min each). Go check 'm if they are placebo.

More info about binaural beats here

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

my experience? You can hear some mumbo jumbo beating they claim you will hear(doesnt work if you just put 1 bud in your ear,you have to use stereo headphones/earbuds). Does it relax me? No,i dont see what the fuzz is about. The comercial ones claim that because the track is too short,you dont feel effects,but i think that any effect that you get are from the ambient sound that most tracks have. So just get ambient soundtracks IMO

08-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Oh it's on the low side, then these speakers definitely can't produce it. laptops = worst bass ever.

If my office wasn't totally strewn with PC parts and boxes I would try to play it through my bass amp got great low response and I could crank that sucker up to like 800W and tell you if my shoulder stopped hurting or something like that...What is this sound supposed to do to me?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Droning sounds can be an effective meditative aid. Any further claims are a big ol' pile of hot, steamy bull plop.

Brain activity is electromagnetic (well - electrochemical!). So loosely speaking it has frequencies associated with it. EEG observation does register ~4-8 Hz signals among others (the theta band); it does very weakly seem to correspond with a relaxed but conscious state (though of course, they're pretty much all present at all times - except for Fry on Futurama...). There endeth the real science. There's no proposed mechanism of interaction to substantiate any further claims. Just some bizarre conflation of 'all waves are waves therefore they interact (?)'; which doesn't even make sense. Audio vibrations in the ear canal aren't going to have any sort of direct causative effect on neurochemistry... So any result is self-induced placebo. Not non-existent, but totally placebo.

Actually 'cause it's binaural that just means the beat frequency is ~7 Hz (ie they're out of tune); the actual frequencies in dancefortwo's link are ~100 Hz (so that's where your problem is, Spiral).

... this is my signature!
08-09-2013, 07:31 PM
(08-09-2013 07:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Droning sounds can be an effective meditative aid. Any further claims are a big ol' pile of hot, steamy bull plop.

Brain activity is electromagnetic (well - electrochemical!). So loosely speaking it has frequencies associated with it. EEG observation does register ~4-8 Hz signals among others (the theta band); it does very weakly seem to correspond with a relaxed but conscious state (though of course, they're pretty much all present at all times - except for Fry on Futurama...). There endeth the real science. There's no proposed mechanism of interaction to substantiate any further claims. Just some bizarre conflation of 'all waves are waves therefore they interact (?)'; which doesn't even make sense. Audio vibrations in the ear canal aren't going to have any sort of direct causative effect on neurochemistry... So any result is self-induced placebo. Not non-existent, but totally placebo.

Actually 'cause it's binaural that just means the beat frequency is ~7 Hz (ie they're out of tune); the actual frequencies in dancefortwo's link are ~100 Hz (so that's where your problem is, Spiral).

I listened to it for about 15 minutes and, yeah, it relaxed me but I think it's more like white noise, like an electric fan going in the background.

I had a friend who loved to sit on top of the clothes dryer when it was on because of the humming noise and the warmth. He would go to sleep on top of the damn dryer. Funny but true.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
08-09-2013, 07:41 PM
(08-09-2013 07:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I listened to it for about 15 minutes and, yeah, it relaxed me but I think it's more like white noise, like an electric fan going in the background.

I had a friend who loved to sit on top of the clothes dryer when it was on because of the humming noise and the warmth. He would go to sleep on top of the damn dryer. Funny but true.

Well, as I said, it can be a calming influence. Technically it's different from your normal 'white noise' because it isn't random; it's a differential (usually pure) frequency in each ear creating a low beat frequency between them (and really technically it's not actually a beat frequency either, because it's not physical interference that's causing it but signal processing in the brain).

... this is my signature!
08-09-2013, 08:38 PM
(08-09-2013 07:08 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Oh it's on the low side, then these speakers definitely can't produce it. laptops = worst bass ever.

If my office wasn't totally strewn with PC parts and boxes I would try to play it through my bass amp got great low response and I could crank that sucker up to like 800W and tell you if my shoulder stopped hurting or something like that...What is this sound supposed to do to me?

it doesnt worl like that. It works like this:
speaker a produces a 260 hz tone
speaker b produces a 267 hz tone
your head interprets both tones,and results in confusing your head that a 7 hz tone is produced

and that 7 hz tone is supposed to stimulate some regions of your brain(last part is BS imo)

thats why speakers dont work and earbuds/headphones do

[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post