Anyone know what exactly did brachycephalic dogs evolved from? How?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Anyone know what exactly did brachycephalic dogs evolved from? How?
Well, I use to thought that all dogs share the common ancestors with the wolves. However its clearly not the case anymore since some dogs were belived to have evolved from other canine species like fox.

So, what did brachycephalic dogs exactly evolved from? Clearly that thing dont share the same ancestors as wolves since the skeleton structure is so diffrient. Perhaps a canine specie thats extinct? or did their ancestor had some mutation and caused major diffrentiation in their skeletons?

So, pls enlight me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2012, 01:05 PM
RE: Anyone know what exactly did brachycephalic dogs evolved from? How?
(18-08-2012 01:03 PM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  Well, I use to thought that all dogs share the common ancestors with the wolves. However its clearly not the case anymore since some dogs were belived to have evolved from other canine species like fox.

So, what did brachycephalic exactly evolved from? Clearly that thing dont share the same ancestors as wolves since the skeleton structure is so diffrient. Perhaps a canine specie thats already extinct? or did their ancestor had some mutation and caused major diffrentiation in their skeletons?

So, pls enlight me.

As far as I know, all domestic dogs descend from the gray wolf, probably from one locale in Asia.
Do you have a reference otherwise?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Just to be clear, we ALL share the same ancestors. Our skeletons are very different than, say, a salmons skeleton, but we are still related. We share with all other living things a common ancestor.

From what I know, all existing canines have evolved from a single original "canine ancestor". That ancestor is most similar to a wolf. Hence all canines descended from a "wolf-like" animal.

I think I have that right, but there's some far more edumicated folks on here than me.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
18-08-2012, 01:11 PM
[Image: canid_phylogeny.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
18-08-2012, 01:43 PM
(18-08-2012 01:11 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  [Image: canid_phylogeny.jpg]

wow...chinh is related to fox... i did not know that....

well, ye my question is kinda too board... i jst want know what caused the mutation in brachycephalic dog which diffriented themselves from other dog species. So, what advantage does this feature provide anyway apart from been cute.....
18-08-2012, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2012 02:00 PM by Red Celt.)
(18-08-2012 01:43 PM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  well, ye my question is kinda too board... i jst want know what caused the mutation in brachycephalic dog which diffriented themselves from other dog species. So, what advantage does this feature provide anyway apart from been cute.....

All dogs are descended from a common ancestor, shared with the grey wolf.

From a chihuahua to a great dane... they're all of the same species and (as such) can all breed with each other. Although the chihuahua would need a step-ladder.

The "mutations" that you speak of involve an accelerated form of natural selection... where humans have chosen those paths. Someone, at some point, took a breed of dog and decided that the feature they liked the most is [insert desired feature]. They then selectively bred that dog, selectively parenting the appropriate male and female so that the offspring looked more "ideal" than the parents, discarding those offspring that didn't. Rinse/wash/repeat.

The selection process is human taste, rather than survivability or (in-species) sexual attraction.

[Image: chihuahua-and-great-dane.jpg]
18-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I have two Cavalier King Charles spaniels and have read different articles that say they are so far removed from the wolf that usual "puppy tests" don't work on them...they don't have the instincts that many other dog breeds have that are similar to that of a wolf.

Based on Chopper's love of comfy furniture and air conditioning, I have to agree...not terribly wolf-like.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
18-08-2012, 03:06 PM
(18-08-2012 02:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have two Cavalier King Charles spaniels and have read different articles that say they are so far removed from the wolf that usual "puppy tests" don't work on them...they don't have the instincts that many other dog breeds have that are similar to that of a wolf.

Based on Chopper's love of comfy furniture and air conditioning, I have to agree...not terribly wolf-like.

But they can mate with wolves and produce fertile offspring. Those cute little dogs are still wolves.

Be very careful.Dodgy

18-08-2012, 03:16 PM
What I love about dogs... is that they were the first animal that was domesticated by man. They have evolved with us, in a form of symbiosis. There is communication between man and beast as there is with no other animal.

You know when they're happy. They know when you're happy. I smile at Ben and he wags his tail. How many animals (that you know of) actually look at people in the face... and actually understand the emotion that is being portrayed?

Dogs are just awesome... to our hunter-gatherer ancestors and to our couch-loving contemporaries.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
18-08-2012, 03:22 PM
(18-08-2012 03:16 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  What I love about dogs... is that they were the first animal that was domesticated by man. They have evolved with us, in a form of symbiosis. There is communication between man and beast as there is with no other animal.

You know when they're happy. They know when you're happy. I smile at Ben and he wags his tail. How many animals (that you know of) actually look at people in the face... and actually understand the emotion that is being portrayed?

Dogs are just awesome... to our hunter-gatherer ancestors and to our couch-loving contemporaries.

Yes, the co-evolution of dogs and humans is remarkable. There have been a couple of Nova and Nature episodes exploring this.

There really don't seem to be any other species that have the ability to understand humans to the degree dogs do. Words, gestures, facial expressions, body language; dogs have developed the capacity to not just understand them, but even mimic them in context.