Anyone know what exactly did brachycephalic dogs evolved from? How?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2012, 03:37 PM
(18-08-2012 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 03:16 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  What I love about dogs... is that they were the first animal that was domesticated by man. They have evolved with us, in a form of symbiosis. There is communication between man and beast as there is with no other animal.

You know when they're happy. They know when you're happy. I smile at Ben and he wags his tail. How many animals (that you know of) actually look at people in the face... and actually understand the emotion that is being portrayed?

Dogs are just awesome... to our hunter-gatherer ancestors and to our couch-loving contemporaries.

Yes, the co-evolution of dogs and humans is remarkable. There have been a couple of Nova and Nature episodes exploring this.

There really don't seem to be any other species that have the ability to understand humans to the degree dogs do. Words, gestures, facial expressions, body language; dogs have developed the capacity to not just understand them, but even mimic them in context.

I've had quite a few thoughts about this. How does my dog seem to know how to make her expression extra super cute when she's begging for food or after she's done something wrong?

And why do dogs always seem to look embarrassed when they're taking a dump?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2012, 03:51 PM
RE: Anyone know what exactly did brachycephalic dogs evolved from? How?
(18-08-2012 03:37 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, the co-evolution of dogs and humans is remarkable. There have been a couple of Nova and Nature episodes exploring this.

There really don't seem to be any other species that have the ability to understand humans to the degree dogs do. Words, gestures, facial expressions, body language; dogs have developed the capacity to not just understand them, but even mimic them in context.

I've had quite a few thoughts about this. How does my dog seem to know how to make her expression extra super cute when she's begging for food or after she's done something wrong?

Probably just copying you. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2012, 03:54 PM
(18-08-2012 02:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have two Cavalier King Charles spaniels and have read different articles that say they are so far removed from the wolf that usual "puppy tests" don't work on them...they don't have the instincts that many other dog breeds have that are similar to that of a wolf.

Based on Chopper's love of comfy furniture and air conditioning, I have to agree...not terribly wolf-like.

I'd have to say that Chopper is simply a wolf with very refined tastes.Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-08-2012, 04:48 PM
(18-08-2012 03:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 02:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have two Cavalier King Charles spaniels and have read different articles that say they are so far removed from the wolf that usual "puppy tests" don't work on them...they don't have the instincts that many other dog breeds have that are similar to that of a wolf.

Based on Chopper's love of comfy furniture and air conditioning, I have to agree...not terribly wolf-like.

But they can mate with wolves and produce fertile offspring. Those cute little dogs are still wolves.

Be very careful.Dodgy

Since his...uummm...operation in June, Chop won't be successfully mating with anything. Tongue

But I will beware...Karma may kill me with happiness...and she doesn't just wag her tail, she wags her whole body.

She is as happy as Chop is grumpy...but I love 'em both.

And Lady too...although nervous and twitchy and of dubious lineage, she is the one most wolf-like in this pack.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
18-08-2012, 05:05 PM
(18-08-2012 04:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 03:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  But they can mate with wolves and produce fertile offspring. Those cute little dogs are still wolves.

Be very careful.Dodgy

Since his...uummm...operation in June, Chop won't be successfully mating with anything. Tongue

But I will beware...Karma may kill me with happiness...and she doesn't just wag her tail, she wags her whole body.

And Lady too...although nervous and twitchy and of dubious lineage, she is the one most wolf-like in this pack.

Poor Chopper got chopped. Weeping No wonder he's grumpy.Consider

Lady's dubious lineage undoubtedly makes her more wolf-like. Those spaniels had their killer instincts bred right out of 'em. Mostly.

18-08-2012, 06:27 PM
(18-08-2012 01:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just to be clear, we ALL share the same ancestors.

Looks like a goddam drunken pen-tailed tree shrew is responsible for this mess. No surprise there.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-08-2012, 08:34 PM
(18-08-2012 03:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 03:37 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I've had quite a few thoughts about this. How does my dog seem to know how to make her expression extra super cute when she's begging for food or after she's done something wrong?

Probably just copying you. Yes

Confused Uh, I didn't want to say anything but... obviously, some things are environmental...
[Image: dolly.jpg]
You might want to think about that Erx, the next time Dolly visits.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Naughty Dolly! That looks so much like her when she was a little younger. Heart

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Dog breeds change VERY quickly because they are easily manipulated for those characteristics. A breeder can breed many many generations of dogs over his or her lifetime, selecting for size, topline, bite, slope of the forehead... Anything at all. A champion pug or pekingese now has a way more squished nose than one even 50 years ago.

I have a Shetland Sheepdog. A sheltie in the 30's had about as much hair as a border collie. Now they are giant puffballs... Totally inconvenient for a working dog, but how many shelties are still needed to here sheep? So they breed them to be pretty. Mine has ZERO herding instinct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hex00WjSo...ata_player

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
19-08-2012, 07:51 AM
(18-08-2012 05:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 04:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Since his...uummm...operation in June, Chop won't be successfully mating with anything. Tongue

Poor Chopper got chopped. Weeping No wonder he's grumpy.Consider

Lady's dubious lineage undoubtedly makes her more wolf-like. Those spaniels had their killer instincts bred right out of 'em. Mostly.

Chop was grumpy before being chopped.

Lady is definitely leader...if Chopper gets too rough with the pup, Lady kicks his ass. And beware to the bunny, bird, squirrel, or any other creature that ventures into the yard. Lady is on them, she is fast and corners well so the critter ends up trapped inside the fence, she know not to let them near the gate which is their only way in through a small space under it.

Chop's survival instincts consist of checking the food bowls several times a day, he's not chasing a tasty treat. If bowls are found empty, he comes and looks at me and bats his eyes. Effective but still not wolf-like.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post