Anyone read this one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Anyone read this one?
A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing

By: Lawrence M. Krauss

I was thinking of buying this one in the next couple days and was wondering if it was worth it. I do like listening to him talk in his video's so that's already got me liking him. Just wondering what some of you may have thought about the book.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 05:31 AM
RE: Anyone read this one?
Sorry, but I haven't read it. I'd like to tho. Tell us what you think Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
03-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Given that the premise of the book is that it all started with nothing and it's going to end with nothing, I thought... sigh! What's the point? What's the point of living? What's the point of anything? What's the point of buying the book?
bigger sigh!

03-03-2012, 01:38 PM
(02-03-2012 08:23 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing

I was thinking of buying this one in the next couple days and was wondering if it was worth it. I do like listening to him talk in his video's so that's already got me liking him. Just wondering what some of you may have thought about the book.

I just started reading it. I have A.D.D. when it comes to reading books, so it may take me a while to read it all the way through. He blatantly states in the introduction that he has a bias against religion. He also mentions that the debates that he has had with creationists in the past have helped him strengthen his arguments.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
06-03-2012, 03:57 PM
(03-03-2012 01:38 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 08:23 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing

I just started reading it. I have A.D.D. when it comes to reading books, so it may take me a while to read it all the way through. He blatantly states in the introduction that he has a bias against religion. He also mentions that the debates that he has had with creationists in the past have helped him strengthen his arguments.

I have the same issue sometimes, with reading that is, I did get the book. I started reading it but I have so much studying to do I don't have time to sit and read it like I want. I read that part you mentioned, I knew he was this way from his video's on youtube.

— idiot adjective

06-03-2012, 10:15 PM
(06-03-2012 03:57 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  

I have the same issue sometimes, with reading that is, I did get the book. I started reading it but I have so much studying to do I don't have time to sit and read it like I want. I read that part you mentioned, I knew he was this way from his video's on youtube.

I haven't been all that aware of who this guy is. But last night I was watching an episode of "How The Universe Works" and realized he's been one of the main contributors to the series. He's one smart dude. I'm looking forward to your book review. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-03-2012, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 12:59 PM by Clint Barnett.)
(06-03-2012 10:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-03-2012 03:57 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  

I haven't been all that aware of who this guy is. But last night I was watching an episode of "How The Universe Works" and realized he's been one of the main contributors to the series. He's one smart dude. I'm looking forward to your book review. Big Grin

Seth posted a video yesterday on facebook. It's Lawrence and Richard talking back and forth. It's very entertaining. He explains a little about what his book is about also.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to North Carolina today, wife's father is in bad shape. Anyway I'll have 14-16 hours to read when I'm not driving so hopefully I can fill y'all in Smile

— idiot adjective

08-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Ok, so I was able to get through about half of it (it's not very big). I would say the book is a mix between history and physics. He gives a lot of history on who first proposed the various theories pertaining to the big bang and how they were improved upon by later scientists. He talks at length about the evidence that supports the big bang, but not about the event itself. Dr. Krauss mentions stuff like red-shift, cosmic microwave background radiation, dark matter / energy, and quantum physics. Two of the neatest things that I have learned so far are: 1) Massive bodies like clusters of galaxies are so heavy that they bend light, making it possible to see magnified images of galaxies located further out into the universe; 2) Everyone knows that looking at stars in the night sky is like looking back into time because it takes a very long time for that light to reach us. Well, we should theoretically be able to look out far enough to see the light from the big bang, but cosmic microwave background radiation makes this impossible. It absorbs light like paint on a wall so that you can't see past it. I believe the book said that we can only see some 300,000 light years out into the universe. This is because it was around this time that matter was in a plasma-like state. It only began to take on the properties that we know today when it began to cool.

Even though the book is dumbed down for the general populace, I’m man enough to admit that some of the material goes over my head. I find biology to be a much simpler subject to grasp.
14-03-2012, 05:29 AM
I was thinking of picking this up too, I have a lacking up understanding of physics but I've listened to him speak and I think I'd be interested in reading it. But I also haven't read Cosmos yet...
31-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm half-way through this still. I have been studying and such so I don't have enough time to read for enjoyment.

— idiot adjective