23-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Anyone see this fake Magellan quote?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiPEP9qJVoXmmdsRVqbrM...0taFGq2-0S]

It's fake, for a multitude of reasons.

Anyone see it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 02:31 PM
RE: Anyone see this fake Magellan quote?
(23-10-2013 02:18 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiPEP9qJVoXmmdsRVqbrM...0taFGq2-0S]

Anyone see it?

I have seen that, it's misatributed rather than false. I think Galileo said something close to that effect not Magellan but you know what they say.

You can never trust quotes on the internet. - Abraham Lincoln

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-10-2013, 02:45 PM
(23-10-2013 02:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 02:18 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiPEP9qJVoXmmdsRVqbrM...0taFGq2-0S]

Anyone see it?

I have seen that, it's misatributed rather than false. I think Galileo said something close to that effect not Magellan but you know what they say.

You can never trust quotes on the internet. - Abraham Lincoln

I thought it sounded dodgy too! Magellan was the one who founded the Church in the Philippines. Also, (and I think they knew this during Galileo's time as well) a Greek experiment in Alexandria found that the Earth was a rough spherical shape, if not the sphere we know today, and I believe that both scholars would have been aware of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes
23-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Yea, the Greeks calculated the circumference of the earth around 200 BCE.

I guess someone forgot. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-10-2013, 03:06 PM
actually everyone knew at that time the earth was round, they even knew its size. Columbus thought it was smaller and that's why he set sail to find a better route to Asia, he was a dumb lucky motherfucker... Or so I read somewhere Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-10-2013, 03:09 PM
(23-10-2013 03:06 PM)nach_in Wrote:  actually everyone knew at that time the earth was round, they even knew its size. Columbus thought it was smaller and that's why he set sail to find a better route to Asia, he was a dumb lucky motherfucker... Or so I read somewhere Tongue

I am not sure of this but I have heard that one of the great Greek mathematicians actually predicted the 2 western continents based on some formula for volume.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Poor Catholics...

Undecided

They really get a bad rap when everyone else is much worse.
23-10-2013, 03:31 PM
(23-10-2013 03:26 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Poor Catholics...

Undecided

Well the Catholic church was very nasty when it held power. It did as much to stunt human advancement as possible. Between the Inquisitions, the witch burnings, the anti-science decrees during the beginning of the enlightenment, the crusades, the horrible corruption and outright dishonesty the Catholic church has rather earned the reputation it has. Oh and this is not even mentioning the aids epidemic in Africa and the endemic pedophilia.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-10-2013, 03:42 PM
(23-10-2013 03:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 03:26 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Poor Catholics...

Undecided

Well the Catholic church was very nasty when it held power. It did as much to stunt human advancement as possible. Between the Inquisitions, the witch burnings, the anti-science decrees during the beginning of the enlightenment, the crusades, the horrible corruption and outright dishonesty the Catholic church has rather earned the reputation it has. Oh and this is not even mentioning the aids epidemic in Africa and the endemic pedophilia.

AIDS == Catholic Church?
No. It's the sexy Africans who are spreading AIDS.

Pedophiles == Priests?
No. Less than 4% of the worlds Catholic priests have been accused (and that includes fakers trying to make easy money) and fewer actually committing it.
That's a better statistic of pedos than most Protestant churches.
Everything else sounds plausible, though.
23-10-2013, 03:44 PM
(23-10-2013 03:42 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 03:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well the Catholic church was very nasty when it held power. It did as much to stunt human advancement as possible. Between the Inquisitions, the witch burnings, the anti-science decrees during the beginning of the enlightenment, the crusades, the horrible corruption and outright dishonesty the Catholic church has rather earned the reputation it has. Oh and this is not even mentioning the aids epidemic in Africa and the endemic pedophilia.

AIDS == Catholic Church?
No. It's the sexy Africans who are spreading AIDS.

Pedophiles == Priests?
No. Less than 4% of the worlds Catholic priests have been accused (and that includes fakers trying to make easy money) and fewer actually committing it.
That's a better statistic of pedos than most Protestant churches.
Everything else sounds plausible, though.

Ah but the Catholic church has spread false information claiming that Condom use CAUSES aids.

As to the endemic pedophilia yes only 4% (and the estimates are actually closer to 10%) of the total priests were involved but the entire bureaucratic system in the church protected them.