Anyone still undecided?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2016, 04:07 PM
RE: Anyone still undecided?
(20-09-2016 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 05:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Care to say why you think so?

The use of parallel syntax emphasizes the contrast between the two positions.

Huh

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2016, 05:26 PM
(20-09-2016 03:44 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 01:20 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-dem-p...ied-221709
Thanks, that seems to be the right video.

(20-09-2016 01:20 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I'm not being cutesy, I'm busting your balls because you did the same thing as I did and you tried to take me to task for it.
I didn't do the same thing you did. You claimed that Bernie never said she isn't qualified when he actually did and decided to interpret his words to mean the opposite of what he said instead of admitting that you were wrong after I initially pointed out your error. I never asserted that Sanders doesn't support Clinton or that he isn't stumping for her, I countered your opinion that he wouldn't support her if he didn't think she was qualified (an opinion you repeated further down below) by offering an alternative explanation for why he would still do it. It would be one thing if you used my words against me in the proper context, but your repetitious use of them in the wrong context only serves to annoy me.

(20-09-2016 01:20 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I interpreted his air quotes, which everyone here knows why he was using them, because he didn't really mean it.
As far as I can tell, you're the only one aside from me who has voiced his opinion on the matter in this thread. It's probably a good idea to refrain from speaking for everyone in a situation like that and to be content with only speaking for yourself.

(20-09-2016 01:20 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  You in turn interpreted why you think he is stumping for her and endorsing her, so I told you that your interpretation means nothing. The fact is, he has endorsed her and he is putting his full weight behind her. You don't do that if you think she isn't qualified.
That's an opinion, not a fact. As I've said before, the damage a Trump presidency would inevitably cause to the goals of his progressive movement could be enough to convince him to back her even if he thinks that she isn't qualified.

And that is your opinion, is it not? I'll leave it here with you. You're a slave to the pedantic and it grows tiresome. The fact that he walked it back and said she was qualified is enough for me to prove my point, that he is telling his supporters she is qualified and deserves their vote.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Anyone still undecided?
Yeah I'm undecided if I'll go Johnson, Stein, some other, or actually even be able to get the opportunity to vote as I'm moving states and had filled out stiff but not gotten the mail back yet

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-09-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm writing in Santorum. If he was good enough for me in the primary he's good enough for me in the general.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Does being undecided because you plan on not voting at all count? If so, yeah, I'm undecided.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
20-09-2016, 09:19 PM
(20-09-2016 08:42 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Does being undecided because you plan on not voting at all count? If so, yeah, I'm undecided.

If you're not voting then you've decided.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
20-09-2016, 09:25 PM
(20-09-2016 09:19 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If you're not voting then you've decided.

A good point Shy

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
20-09-2016, 09:59 PM
(20-09-2016 09:25 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 09:19 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If you're not voting then you've decided.

A good point Shy

To quote the greatest band that ever was ... If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

----
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
20-09-2016, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2016 06:06 AM by DLJ.)
(20-09-2016 05:25 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 04:28 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  really what are you really deciding really weather trump will

1. turn half the world against the united states and spark ww3

2.will split the united states up sparking a second civil war

3.will be a lame duck loud mouth who will betray his supporters and spend the next 4 years running a freak show to stroke his inflated ego till eventually he's voted out then rights a book blaming everyone else for his mistakes

"Those are not mutually exclusive"

True he may do all three at once or much much worse Sad

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-09-2016, 11:34 AM
(19-09-2016 10:02 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I'd like to make a case for not voting for Johnson/Weld. If your concern is having someone who seems to be in touch with what we are going through as a country and someone who is prepared and will be prepared on Day 1, then you clearly can't vote for this ticket. The man had no idea what Aleppo was. But even if you give him a pass and just say it was a brain fart, though I have no idea how he could not know that, he then today said in an interview that he was grateful that no one got hurt in the New York/New Jersey bombings over the weekend. Seriously? 29 people went to the hospital. While I know he meant to say no one was killed and everyone looks to be recovering fully, the weed has fried his brain. He probably doesn't realize it yet, but he is lucky he didn't qualify for the debates because he would be made to look like the idiot he is. Also, Carl Bernstein reported Weld is considering dropping out because he is afraid their ticket might actually be the reason Trump could win. That they would serve as a catalyst to his campaign. While they have denied this, Bernstein doesn't report lightly and he took down Nixon for Zeus' sake. Far too many things wrong with this ticket.

I'm not voting for Johnson because I think he can win, I'm voting to show that I'm NOT supporting the election circus that produced Hillary and Trump. I agree, Johnson has problems, but I believe there are virtuous ideals within the Libertarian philosophy that I'd like to see become more mainstream, and the best way to show my support of them is to actually show up and vote. If I were in a swing state though, I might not feel comfortable (with Trump winning) enough to do this, but in CA, my vote will undoubtedly have ZERO effect on the winner of this election. I'm looking long-term.

(20-09-2016 12:55 AM)mrgr8avill Wrote:  I'm still undecided. With all the damage "Us v. Them" has done in the political arena of this country in the last 20-some years, we stand to get more divisive and less capable of compromise as we move ahead. We now talk about entire sessions of "lame duck" congresses, and it's growing more and more impossible to see the concept of patriotism over politics taking hold anytime soon. Trump getting elected may just be the thing necessary to burn our current concept of national politics down. From the ashes, we might learn to value compromise and maybe even get a third and fourth viable party that blends the current social ideals of one party with the fiscal ideals of another, such that one doesn't need to accept the socioreligious viewpoints of the Republicans to vie for fiscal conservatism, or accept the concept of Big Government to maintain social freedoms. Maybe Trump would condense the decades of pain necessary to affect real change and condense it into four short years of chaos and hell.

Then again, using dynamite to clean the carpets may not be the brightest idea. So, which is better - 4-8 more years of no real change going down the road of unsustainable debt and political infighting and the "K Street White House (which, by the way, I assign blame to both parties)," or four years of utter chaos followed by what will undoubtedly be a massive shift in the relationship between the American voter and national politics? Trump may be a catalyst of real change by the nature of how horrible he will be as president - offset by the possibility that the powderkeg might be so large that we do irreparable harm.

I readily agree that virtually nothing about Trump suggests that he will be a good or effective president, but the potential for change is tempting...

THIS, EXACTLY. I do hate Trump, passionately, but I can't help but hope that IF he wins, he could be so disastrous (just not nuclear-war-disastrous) that he inspires some fixes to our political climate, including the election process, corruption, and the increasing party divides (mostly caused by the growing "independent" voter base IMO, but media plays a large role as well).

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post