Anyone tried mormon.org/chat? I did

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 11:03 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm doing my best to be respectful but I've been talking for forty minutes and can't see any logic.

Here's the convo so far, if you'd like an entertaining read. I'm letter N, and Kyle is letter K, and Isaac is letter I

N
why do you believe what you believe
10:52 PM
is it at all possible that jesus christ could not be real
10:53 PM

Now chatting with Kyle & Isaac
I
Hello
10:54 PM

K
Hey Nick!

N
if yes, then y do you believe what you believe? if no, how can you be so sure

K
We truly believe that Jesus Christ is real and alive. He is the Savior and Redeemer of the world.
10:55 PM

N
that's not what i asked though. Is it at all possible, even the slightest chance, that he may not be real?
10:55 PM

K
No, I think there is plenty of things that point that He is indeed real.
10:56 PM

N
what rational things point to him being real?
10:57 PM

I
The Bible as a record. Koran talks of Christ.
10:59 PM

N
as far as i know there's no evidence of jesus christ being real. What kind of things would point to him being real?
10:59 PM

I
The Book of Mormon, and other ancient records have records of him.
11:00 PM
He is just as real as any emperor of Rome.

N
So why should i believe that the book of mormon, the koran, and gospel are credible
11:00 PM
but there's evidence for the emperor of rome as far as i know there's no evidence of jesus, which is why i asked what kind of things point to him being real
anyway why should i believe the book of mormon or the koran is there anything that points to the book of mormon being real/credible
11:02 PM

I
Why not.
11:02 PM

N
that's unsettling what do you mean why not?
11:03 PM
I mean no disrespect but "why not" is not a logical answer. why not believe in the Koran?
instead of the book of mormon
why not?
which brings me full circle to my original question why do you believe what you believe?

K
Because I have received a witness that it is true over the process of my life. It isn't something I can tell you about and have you believe. It doesn't work like that. It requires an effort on the part of the seeker to prayer, ponder, and ask God if He lives and if His Son Jesus Christ did indeed come into the world to die for us.
11:06 PM

N
Hmmm interesting let me process that for a sec
11:08 PM
so you had a devine revelation? if so, do you mind if i ask the story of your devine revelation?
11:09 PM
the mind is an incredible powerful thing, is it at all possible this experience could have been something other than a devine revelation from god. Maybe you scared yourself after a scary movie, or you had an adverse reaction to some medicine, a loved one died and made you psychologically venerable, etc. etc.
11:12 PM

K
No, this wasn't just a one time deal. This has been process of doubts, prayers, experiences, blessings and witnesses the affects of the power of God in my own life and in the life of others. You are right, it is. But this isn't just something from the mind Nick.

N
how could you be so sure it was, in fact, a message from god.
Again with all do respect, what would be an example of an eye-witness effect of the power of God? Is it possible, even the slightest chance, that these things could have been something other than a sign of god?
11:15 PM

K
No worries whatsoever. It is something more than the ordinary though at times it can be subtle. And i like I said it is important for one to experience it themselves. It can come through the spirit bearing witness to the body. Have you ever tried to sincerely communicate with God before Nick?
11:19 PM

I
Sure it could be. That is why it is so important for each one of us to personally find out if it is true.
11:24 PM

N
I'd be happy to discuss that after but what would be an example of the power of God subtle or not? Does mormonism require a devine revelation? because I haven't had one and I'm trying to understand why people believe what they believe
11:24 PM
so how do you know it's true? what's your evidence? you've yet to give me an example. If you don't want to give an example that's 100% completely fine but i ask you to do me the courtesy of being up front and let me know if you would like to share the experience or not. I'm desperately trying to put myself in your shoes and I can't help but feel that this convo is going in circles
11:27 PM

K
I understand. And I thank you for being upfront about what you are saying. It really helps. I think the best thing I can do to help you understand how we believe on can receive answers (and how I have received answers) is share with you a short video series (3 videos about 3min each. I think that will help paint a picture for on what I am talking about then I could discuss a little more my own personal experience. Would that be okay?
11:30 PM

N
yeah no problem
11:31 PM

K
Alright, sweet. Let me get it. One moment.
11:32 PM
Part 1: The Light of Christ
Part 2: Discerning Light
Part 3: Spirit of Revelation
Those are the three parts.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2014, 10:51 PM
RE: Anyone tried mormon.org/chat? I did
I would had pointed out their fallacies in a more refined and direct manner. But interesting anyway, a lot of what they said is basically along the lines of what every believer says these days.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
24-09-2014, 11:00 PM
N
Honestly I don't really want to watch those, can you sum them up at all? It's getting late. How do you receive answers from god? and how do you know there answers from god and not natural phenomena?
11:40 PM

K
God answers prayers the power of the Holy Ghost or other times referred to as the spirit. This can come as enlightening thought. This spirit can bring warmth, peace, joy, and other positive feelings. But though many will say that it could be your mind or your feelings, the part is in following what you are prompted to do. As you do so, you begin to see that they aren't just that but inspired. You begin to say things, be places or do things that wouldn't happen if you don't follow those promptings. As a missionary in Chile there are many times we felt the need to talk to a certain person only to find out that they are wanting to take their own life or you knock on a door where a person was praying for someone to come to help them.
11:46 PM

N
So because you decided to go on a mission with your church to help others, you ran into enlightening situations. Isn't is possible that if you were to go on a mission with, lets just say, the american red cross to help others, that you would have ran into very similar situations. Don't get me wrong I think helping people is great, but all I'm hearing is because you went out to help people, people were helped. You're setting the bar pretty low when it comes to answers from god. I don't think that's a very proof. I gotta go man it's getting close to midnight. You should question everything man. There may be a god there may not be there's no harm in saying that, because quite frankly that's the honest, indisputable truth. Hell there may be a flying spaghetti monster that rules the universe. Who knows, but "why not" is not a logical reasoning for anything.
11:56 PM

K
Thanks for sharing that Nick. It wasn't just that mission though for me that allowed me to believe in God. But many things before and after. That was an example. God works in sample and simple means. And many times that confounds the wise. I do question everything. Just becuase I beleive in God doesn't mean that. I invite you thought to try to know yourself. Pray. Study the scriptures apply it in your life and see what happens. You can't deny it until you try it Smile Thanks for coming on. Great chat. I got to go now too. So have a wonderful night!
11:58 PM

I
Thanks for coming onSmile
11:59 PM

The chat Session has ended.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
24-09-2014, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014 11:14 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
little did he know i grew up on religion but that's it, for what it's worth. Any cirques? comments? simplifications? likes/dislikes? improvements? anything

25-09-2014, 08:21 AM
I lost interest after he started talking about divine revelation. But yeah....pretty much no real reasons until he just gives up and starts going by personal experience. Dodgy

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
25-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Same ol same ol. To feel/know/speak to God you have to form a "relationship" with him that requires praying to him and looking for him.

It's never a situation where evidence is presented and then you believe. You have to believe first then get the evidence.

Self-fulfilling.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
25-09-2014, 10:18 AM
I would also point out that people from different religious faith feel the same exact spiritual closeness to god so how do you know your religion is the correct religion. I would tell them to that emotional feelings of closeness to a god aren't proof of god.

I would also tell them that the gospels weren't written until decades after the life of Jesus.

I have to say, you were very pleasant and nice to these guys.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-09-2014, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2014 03:50 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
(25-09-2014 08:26 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Same ol same ol. To feel/know/speak to God you have to form a "relationship" with him that requires praying to him and looking for him.

It's never a situation where evidence is presented and then you believe. You have to believe first then get the evidence.

Self-fulfilling.

confirmation bias for anything that's 'plausible evidence' of god. e.g. The rain held off until JUST after i got into my house....thanks god for not letting it rain on me ...barf. You'll have me interested when you have solid documentation that the laws of physics have been broken. Same ol Same ol.

If anyone knows were to find something on this, I would like to find some devine revelations stories debunked...like mythbusters style lol

25-09-2014, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2014 10:22 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
(25-09-2014 10:18 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  how do you know your religion is the correct religion

It took me 20 min to get to the point that he relies on devine revelations, and he only shared one devine revelation in that whole 70min. That would've been another 45min at least. Lol. Maybe if i run into a situation with someone willing to have a respectable chat I'll ask them that. Ask them if they've even read the koran, or can tell me the basics of it.

25-09-2014, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2014 03:40 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
(25-09-2014 10:18 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I would also point out that people from different religious faith feel the same exact spiritual closeness to god ....... I would tell them to that emotional feelings of closeness to a god aren't proof of god.

This is something that's intriguing to me. The psychology behind these feelings. I'd be interested in learning about some of the craziest things people honestly believe and why and how the brain is capable of believing in these things so sincerely. Such as, fortune teller readings, people's ability to talk with the dead, ghosts, sasquatch, lochness monster, and so on.

Again, if anyone knows where to find something on this, let me know. A video or article or something.