Anyone up for a chat? :)
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Anyone up for a chat? :)
Hey everyone,

Contrary to what you might think - at least if you look at my posting history - I actually want to participate in a lot of the discussions on here.

I don't have time to post that frequently though, and since threads tend to move on in one way or another before I get a response typed up, I would like to try out this slower-paced format.

Anyway, in terms of what to discuss I was thinking something along the lines of religion in human evolution or religion and society/culture, but I'm also cool with suggestions that hone in on specific religions, time periods or religious phenomena Smile

Looking foreward to hear from you!
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2016, 09:25 PM
RE: Anyone up for a chat? :)
Much of the 'religion as part of our evolution' discussion devolves into the realm of plausible but difficult to demonstrate. It might well have happened that way but it's hard to show that it actually did.

The history of religion is more entertaining, at least the bits that the churches haven't managed to bury. Anything in particular that you had in mind? The origins of Christianity are good for a giggle but I've never given it any serious attention and there are a number of people on here who know a lot more about it than I do. I just dabble.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
25-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Hey there Smile

Cool! I don't have anything particular in mind as of now, but truth be told I probably don't know as much about Christian religion as I ought to... So this could probably be quite educational Smile
Any favorite topic? Early church? Witchhunts? Crusades? The greco-roman influence on Christianity?
26-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Well, I don't know much about the origin of the OT so that discussion would be more of a research project for both sides. We could start by kicking around the Jesus did/didn't exist can and wander into the early church if you like.

Like I said though, I'm just a dabbler in this.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
26-04-2016, 04:13 PM
(26-04-2016 02:46 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Well, I don't know much about the origin of the OT so that discussion would be more of a research project for both sides. We could start by kicking around the Jesus did/didn't exist can and wander into the early church if you like.

Like I said though, I'm just a dabbler in this.

Sounds like fun! Let's see where it takes us Smile

So... Where do you stand on the existence of Jesus? And if he did exist; are we talking son of God or a random prophet who just happened to have good PR?
26-04-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't think that I'm a talented enough actor to play Poe well enough for the son of Gawd routine.

I figure that somebody, likely named Jesus, actually lived and is the basis of the NT. He was your run of the mill apocalyptic street preacher in Roman-occupied Judea. Nothing special and hardly Divine. He eventually got in trouble with the law and the Romans tacked him up for his pains. That put a damper on his Messianic hopes and plans because, like the movie says, "How can he be The One if he's dead?"

Things should have ended there, and indeed they did for the church that Jesus started, but Saul of Tarsus (aka Paul) hijacked the dying religion and rebranded it for the Gentiles. Pauline Christianity is what's left today. The last of Jesus' original flock likely went out in the Roman-Judean war ~60 AD.

I don't have any hard evidence for this but to my thinking there are a few reasonable assumptions for it:

- Why bother to invent a Messiah when they're thick as flies on shit? Just pick one that suits your needs.

- In all religions that we have accurate historical records for, the leaders made themselves pretty central. A Prophet, A son of God, The Enlightened One, etc. It simply isn't in the nature of somebody that power hungry and narcissistic to give the limelight to a fabricated Messiah if they could have taken it themself.

There are a few hints that this is the case unintentionally recorded in the Bible but I'll save those until you've had a chance to get a word in edgewise.

---
16-05-2016, 02:58 AM
Hey mate,

I'm so sorry for the ridiculously late reply!

I spend a small week reading up on Paul, and did plan to write a reply, when I got a three weeks notice that I had find a new place to live... So I have been preoccupied getting all my stuff packed and finding a new home for me and my wife.

Anyway, I do plan to take up our discussion sometime next month, but I need to get a roof over my head first.

Thanks for the patience!

Best regards
Niels
16-05-2016, 05:30 PM
No worries, real life before internet arguments and all that. I'm sure I'll find a way to keep myself amused. Chase

Good luck with the move. Sounds like the circumstances suck but then maybe you're best off out of anywhere that chucks you out on three weeks notice. That's illegal in most civilized nations.

Take care!

---
Thread Closed