Anyone use ancestry.com?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Anyone use ancestry.com?
I'm really stuck trying to trace my mother's side of the family. I've gone through every online source that's free and then I hit a wall. I need some advice.

My mother had some unusual circumstances in her life. She seemed to be unofficially adopted by the man whom she called her dad and he may have been her actual birth father. I suspect he was but she always said he wasn't. The story she told me is that her real mother couldn't take care of her because a sibling contracted German measles and ended up blind and deaf (this was before the vaccine was invented) so my mom was given to her step? father and never had any more contact with her real mother. The only thing I have to go on is her real mother's maiden name, Florence Young, and my mother told me Florence was born in the UK and immigrated to Canada by ship but she didn't know what year this happened. There are hundreds of Florence Youngs on ship manifests.

My mom had three birth certificates. Two were Canadian and one was from Missouri. The Missouri certificate was obviously forged. Her father forged all kinds of documents throughout his life, mostly to get work during the Depression. He would come down to the US to work on the railroads for a while using forged papers and then go back up to Canada to work on the Canadian Pacific Railroad.

I've tried for the last 15 years to find out where she actually came from but I'm stuck. Now I'm thinking of trying ancestry.com. Don't know if that's a good idea or not. Thoughts, ideas?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2016, 04:10 PM
RE: Anyone use ancestry.com?
(01-03-2016 03:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm really stuck trying to trace my mother's side of the family. I've gone through every online source that's free and then I hit a wall. I need some advice.

My mother had some unusual circumstances in her life. She seemed to be unofficially adopted by the man whom she called her dad and he may have been her actual birth father. I suspect he was but she always said he wasn't. The story she told me is that her real mother couldn't take care of her because a sibling contracted German measles and ended up blind and deaf (this was before the vaccine was invented) so my mom was given to her step? father and never had any more contact with her real mother. The only thing I have to go on is her real mother's maiden name, Florence Young, and my mother told me Florence was born in the UK and immigrated to Canada by ship but she didn't know what year this happened. There are hundreds of Florence Youngs on ship manifests.

My mom had three birth certificates. Two were Canadian and one was from Missouri. The Missouri certificate was obviously forged. Her father forged all kinds of documents throughout his life, mostly to get work during the Depression. He would come down to the US to work on the railroads for a while using forged papers and then go back up to Canada to work on the Canadian Pacific Railroad.

I've tried for the last 15 years to find out where she actually came from but I'm stuck. Now I'm thinking of trying ancestry.com. Don't know if that's a good idea or not. Thoughts, ideas?

I used 23 and me, it was vey helpful to find lost famlly members- and it would point out any genetic matches online too. They send a kit to take a swab sample from your mouth. I really enjoyed finding new relatives. I used it because my grandfather was adopted, and so I found out his side of the family. I have met many new relatives.
01-03-2016, 04:27 PM
(01-03-2016 04:10 PM)carol Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 03:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm really stuck trying to trace my mother's side of the family. I've gone through every online source that's free and then I hit a wall. I need some advice.

I used 23 and me, it was vey helpful to find lost famlly members- and it would point out any genetic matches online too. They send a kit to take a swab sample from your mouth. I really enjoyed finding new relatives. I used it because my grandfather was adopted, and so I found out his side of the family. I have met many new relatives.

How does a 23 and me DNA swab test lead one to family members. I don't understand. I know it can pinpoint where.... say..... in Ireland one's ancestries were from but how does it connect you up with family members or dead relatives?

01-03-2016, 05:06 PM
I was going to use/pay it, but discovered a few select libraries (public) and the State Historical Society have computers that link to it, and many other resources, free, at some of their computer stations. I thinks it's OK, but the way they try to rope you into monthly fees is pretty stupid.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-03-2016, 07:35 PM
(01-03-2016 04:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 04:10 PM)carol Wrote:  I used 23 and me, it was vey helpful to find lost famlly members- and it would point out any genetic matches online too. They send a kit to take a swab sample from your mouth. I really enjoyed finding new relatives. I used it because my grandfather was adopted, and so I found out his side of the family. I have met many new relatives.

How does a 23 and me DNA swab test lead one to family members. I don't understand. I know it can pinpoint where.... say..... in Ireland one's ancestries were from but how does it connect you up with family members or dead relatives?

It does not just tell you where your ancestors come from, it also connects you to genetic relatives. 23 and me is a very popular genome test, and not too expensive, so many people are doing it, much more than I would have expected. Some only do it to find out the genetics, but many are also looking for relatives. Even if she found one or two relatives, there is a way to message them, so she can find out family names and more information. Many people post family trees on the site too, so if you find a distant cousin, and look at the family tree, you will see where you are connected. Also, you can message people when you find a common surname. The site automatically posts people you are related to, and you decide to connect with them if you want to. I get new relatives every month or so and they send an email to tell me. It is very user friendly too, and a fun place to explore...at least for me.
14-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Grrrrrr. Angry Jesus fucking christ. I'm about to pull my hair out. I finally joined Ancestry.com and still can't find out who my mother's mother and father was. I spend probably 5-6 hours a day looking for her parents and it's a huge brick wall.

Here's the problem. My step-grandfather worked on the railroad as a railroad engineer in the US and Canada. He traveled all over the place and would be gone for a month's at a time. When he was around 55 years old he moved up to Canada from Missouri to a small town around the year 1922 or so and went to work for the Grand Trunk Railroad which became the Canadian Pacific Railway. Sometime around 1923 or so he brings back a little girl from god know where and raises her as his own. This is my mother. Where he got her from is a mystery. He badly forged a birth certificate so she would have some sort of documentation. It's from Missouri. He once told her that her mother was from England and her mother's name was Florence Young. That's all I've got to go on. I've gone through hundreds of Florence Young's on passenger lists coming on ships from the UK and there's no way to know which one might be my mother's mother. She was probably a bastard child or some orphan, who knows.

I've tried to trace my step-grandfather's travels on the railroad through old employee records but those have been destroyed. My mom thought she was probably born in Canada because her stepfather was traveling across Canada throughout the time she would have been born.

The only thing I have that belonged to my actual grandmother is a sweetheart bracelet with a flowery initial "F Y " for Florence Young on the back of it. I wore it on my wedding day.

This has been a huge mystery in our family for so long and with the internet and online genealogy I thought I could solve it. It's so frustrating.

Just wanted to vent a little.
Angry

15-03-2016, 05:47 AM
I watch the Ancestory.com commercial on TV - the one where the guy goes on about being German -- then doing a DNA test and finding out he's actually Scottish.

So what???

Did he lose IQ points, did his dick get smaller? Did he suddenly quit drinking schnapps and start guzzling single malt???

Probably not. (although, some goofballs probably put so much into such trivial matters, they might).

Ultimately --- the majority of humanity incorrectly traces it's origins back to place. But, unless you're tracing it back to the Rift Valley -- you're actually picking a point in time - arbitrarily and saying -- "I'm from here" --- and getting it wrong. Your ancestor that came from (wherever) was an immigrant to that place.

If you want to be as correct as possible -- we're all refugees that came from Africa.

That time your great, great, great, great (ect) grandpappy was in Scotland was just a vacation that went long.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-03-2016, 05:48 AM
(14-03-2016 02:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Sometime around 1923 or so he brings back a little girl from god know where and raises her as his own. This is my mother. Where he got her from is a mystery. He badly forged a birth certificate so she would have some sort of documentation.

So, you could be missing royalty? A lost heir to a fortune? The skeletons in someone's closet?

I did the geneology thing a few years back. I found some things, but ran into obstacles like you did. Did not do ancestry.com cause of the monthly fees.

Did you try searching Ellis Island's database?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
15-03-2016, 02:08 PM
(15-03-2016 05:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I watch the Ancestory.com commercial on TV - the one where the guy goes on about being German -- then doing a DNA test and finding out he's actually Scottish.

So what???

Did he lose IQ points, did his dick get smaller? Did he suddenly quit drinking schnapps and start guzzling single malt???

Probably not. (although, some goofballs probably put so much into such trivial matters, they might).

Ultimately --- the majority of humanity incorrectly traces it's origins back to place. But, unless you're tracing it back to the Rift Valley -- you're actually picking a point in time - arbitrarily and saying -- "I'm from here" --- and getting it wrong. Your ancestor that came from (wherever) was an immigrant to that place.

If you want to be as correct as possible -- we're all refugees that came from Africa.

That time your great, great, great, great (ect) grandpappy was in Scotland was just a vacation that went long.

It's more a matter of solving a mystery than anything else. My mother just kinda dropped outta the sky one day. I'd like to know what the circumstances of her life were that made her mother give her up or whatever happened, and how she was given over to a man (probably a widower) who at age 55 her raised her. And he was a rather absent father at that. He was on the railroad for months at a time he would hire housekeepers to take care of her. The housekeepers would skip town and leave her alone at 6 or 7 years old with nothing to eat. She would get so hungry that she would go down to the train tracks and find chunks of coal that fell of the coal car and eat them.

I don't really care about the rest of my ancestors beyond the my mother's mother and father. I just want to know who they were. All she ever had was a forged birth certificate.

15-03-2016, 02:17 PM
(15-03-2016 05:48 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(14-03-2016 02:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Sometime around 1923 or so he brings back a little girl from god know where and raises her as his own. This is my mother. Where he got her from is a mystery. He badly forged a birth certificate so she would have some sort of documentation.

So, you could be missing royalty? A lost heir to a fortune? The skeletons in someone's closet?

I did the geneology thing a few years back. I found some things, but ran into obstacles like you did. Did not do ancestry.com cause of the monthly fees.

Did you try searching Ellis Island's database?

Yes, I have looked at the Ellis Island database but the only possible name I have to type in is Florence Young. There are hundreds of Florence Youngs in their database and anyway she supposedly immigrated to Canada. My mother was raised in Canada so I'm looking at Nova Scotia ports. I'm now trying to find a database of Canadian Bastardy Bonds....a list of children born out of wedlock. It's a needle in a haystack.