Anyone use ancestry.com?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2016, 02:41 PM
RE: Anyone use ancestry.com?
You should try census records for Missouri and Federal. I found a good bit of info that way on my family. (PA not MO) If you know the town your father lived in.

You could also try the company he worked for. Sometimes old records get digitized and such. Many people are into the railroad thing, so you never know what you may find.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2016, 02:45 PM
I used it. Found many branches on my mothers side. My fathers side I could only find my grand-mothers. "Luckly" For me my grandfather is still alive so I asked him for further information on his familys past so I could find the liniague of our name. Unforchantly he doesn't know anyone beyond his own parents.

Apparently My great grand mother married a Prodestant when the family was Roman Catholic. And disowned them. When he was a young boy a old man used to come around their property to "tend the garden" He would play with them but if he saw the parents he would leave. A little disturbing when one thinks about it. But according to my Grampy that was his grand father. He wanted to know his grandchildren, but because of the family values and distance that was wedged between between him and his son he wasn't allowed to see them.

I would like to find out more about that branch of the family as it's my family name. Ancestry.com needs dates and locations to further expand it's search.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
15-03-2016, 02:59 PM
On the other hand it is simply possible that the records you're looking for don't exist. Which would rather tend to complicate the search...

... this is my signature!
16-03-2016, 05:45 AM
(15-03-2016 02:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(15-03-2016 05:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I watch the Ancestory.com commercial on TV - the one where the guy goes on about being German -- then doing a DNA test and finding out he's actually Scottish.

So what???

Did he lose IQ points, did his dick get smaller? Did he suddenly quit drinking schnapps and start guzzling single malt???

Probably not. (although, some goofballs probably put so much into such trivial matters, they might).

Ultimately --- the majority of humanity incorrectly traces it's origins back to place. But, unless you're tracing it back to the Rift Valley -- you're actually picking a point in time - arbitrarily and saying -- "I'm from here" --- and getting it wrong. Your ancestor that came from (wherever) was an immigrant to that place.

If you want to be as correct as possible -- we're all refugees that came from Africa.

That time your great, great, great, great (ect) grandpappy was in Scotland was just a vacation that went long.

It's more a matter of solving a mystery than anything else. My mother just kinda dropped outta the sky one day. I'd like to know what the circumstances of her life were that made her mother give her up or whatever happened, and how she was given over to a man (probably a widower) who at age 55 her raised her. And he was a rather absent father at that. He was on the railroad for months at a time he would hire housekeepers to take care of her. The housekeepers would skip town and leave her alone at 6 or 7 years old with nothing to eat. She would get so hungry that she would go down to the train tracks and find chunks of coal that fell of the coal car and eat them.

I don't really care about the rest of my ancestors beyond the my mother's mother and father. I just want to know who they were. All she ever had was a forged birth certificate.

That's legit....

It's like planetary gravity.

The closer you are to the source, the more effect it has on you. The sun and moon directly affect life on earth by driving the winds and tides.

The stars?? The only thing they affect is astrology.

It's like that when discussing a person's "ancestory". What your great, great, great, great, great grandpa did has about as much effect on you as your zodiac sign.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-03-2016, 08:02 AM
I have an extremely uncommon surname—all 6 with that name in the Victorian (Aus) White Pages are relatives of mine.

I tried to use Ancestry.com to track down my forbears and found it to be a totally worthless exercise. As far as I could see, it's just a money-making setup that doesn't even pretend to guarantee meaningful results. I wouldn't go as far to call it a scam, but it's certainly borderline IMHO.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
19-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I used it to find out what happened to my Great Grandfather Ruben, and his brothers during and after WWI... Turns out he was rejected by the Army due to his "bad teeth", but was accepted as a reservist.

His brother Idwal joined the Royal Navy in 1915 and served on two or three different Diadem class cruisers, patrolling the Atlantic until he was demobbed in 1919.

After the war, they all joined their father John down the Vron Colliery. Idwal lost a hand in a tunnel collapse and spent the rest of his working life as a hospital porter.

[Image: ppd-10-44comp.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post