Anyone watch the Scalia interview with Piers Morgan ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Anyone watch the Scalia interview with Piers Morgan ?
I was prepared to hate Scalia. I don't at all. I like him. I was impressed with Scalia. At least he seems consistent, and intellectually honest.
Although he basically undercut his entire position in his first sentence, by saying we have a right to what is "reasonable" under the Constitution. He instantly put the entire enterprise into the realm of subjectivity ? No ?
He also says he reads the Federalist Papers to look at original, (legislative) intent. Then says looking at other, later, docs for that is not good. ? Interesting his best friend on the court is Ruth Bader Ginsberg. I can see that.
(He made up lame excuses for the incompetent Thomas, however).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2012, 07:42 AM
RE: Anyone watch the Scalia interview with Piers Morgan ?
(19-07-2012 07:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I was prepared to hate Scalia. I don't at all. I like him. I was impressed with Scalia. At least he seems consistent, and intellectually honest.
Although he basically undercut his entire position in his first sentence, by saying we have a right to what is "reasonable" under the Constitution. He instantly put the entire enterprise into the realm of subjectivity ? No ?
He also says he reads the Federalist Papers to look at original, (legislative) intent. Then says looking at other, later, docs for that is not good. ? Interesting his best friend on the court is Ruth Bader Ginsberg. I can see that.

I missed this! I love to listen to Scalia even when I disagree with him (often). Did he specify later docs that shouldn't be considered? I know he is and Originalist and so he does not tend to like to cite foreign courts (on non international issues). I find he, Breyer and Ginsburg to be the most intelligent people on that bench.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
19-07-2012, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2012 04:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Anyone watch the Scalia interview with Piers Morgan ?
(19-07-2012 07:42 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(19-07-2012 07:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I was prepared to hate Scalia. I don't at all. I like him. I was impressed with Scalia. At least he seems consistent, and intellectually honest.

I missed this! I love to listen to Scalia even when I disagree with him (often). Did he specify later docs that shouldn't be considered? I know he is and Originalist and so he does not tend to like to cite foreign courts (on non international issues). I find he, Breyer and Ginsburg to be the most intelligent people on that bench.
I suspect it will be rebroadcast on the weekend. He did not specify "later things", just said that there is far less of that now, and counted it as one of his major accomplishments. I can see why he doesn't like Roe v. Wade. It will be interesting to see what he does in Prop 8. He says it's not up to him to make things turn out ok, just to interpret the text. It's the legislature's job to fix things.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.