Apatheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2013, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2013 01:20 PM by kim.)
RE: Apatheism
(30-05-2013 12:40 PM)Korin Wrote:  What is difference between Ignosticism and Apatheism?

Ignostics feel that, since not enough is known about what a god might be, it is given far too much credit. Even giving a shit about a god is giving it far more power than is necessary or even deserved. The god or a god is completely irrelevant.

Not giving a shit about god or a god, would be apatheist but that would afford it too much relevancy for an ignostic. An ignostic already knows we're ignorant of this god thing, so fuck it - what we don't know, isn't going to be worth getting our panties in a bunch.

Yes, one can be both and there are ignostic apatheists such as myself; if there is a god, it's irrelevant and I don't give a shit.
If I find something irrelevant, there's nothing to debate but, if I don't give a shit about something, I can debate it and still end up not giving a shit.

So much has to do with people giving too much power or credit to this imaginary thing. If it's imaginary... if it's irrelevant, there's nothing to debate. However, if I just don't give a shit about it, I can debate it and still end up not giving a shit. The apatheist in me does the debating.
Apatheism works both ways; many theists are apatheists as well.

Sorry about the redundancy... I'm dealing with a weird eye issue. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2013, 01:05 PM
(30-05-2013 12:40 PM)Korin Wrote:  What is difference between Ignosticism and Apatheism?

I don't know, who gives a shit?

That's the difference.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2013, 01:10 PM
(28-05-2013 07:58 PM)Korin Wrote:  Apatheism because 'I don't care'. - who agrees that Apatheism should be accepted here too, because it's people who just don't give a rat ass about religion. But me personally, I believe in Confucianism as a philosophy but in religion I'm agnostic .

Anyways apatheists are welcome, and this usually isn't their favorite place to be.

There is a lot of argument with Theists in this section. The Casual Coffeehouse, and other sections are where you'll find your fellows.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
30-05-2013, 02:06 PM
I probably fit into this category happily for a few decades but never cared to pick a label. I wasted enough of my time detoxing myself, so your "struggle" is your own business and problem. However .....
The politics of religion in the US and negative influence of Islam have made it difficult to be quiet or indifferent.
If I merely remain quiet leaving the bs unchallenged, it provides too much credibility to those spouting nonsense.
If you want to believe crap, that's your right, but I'm not willing to let the idiots with microphones go unchallenged.
So, I listen to podcasts, read books and engage in challenging the assumption that everyone agrees with Christianity or any other religion.
30-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Apatheist describes me as well. Some of the most fervent and passionate atheist are those who were raised in a strict dogmatic religion and then broke free and realized how disabled they were mentally and emotionally. How could they not express anything but contempt for theists and call them out on the subject?

For myself religion was a void that never entered my childhood except at Christmas. It was a distant world, something that seemed strange and totally uninviting. My attempts at debate with theists fall flat. I don't have the fire for it but now and again I give it a try.

So is Apatheist pronounced like the word "app" as in application??

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
30-05-2013, 04:17 PM
In recent days I've been leaning towards this

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
30-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Whatever philosophical label you choose, if you live your life without reference to a supreme being who supposedly cares what you do or think, then IMO you are "practically" an atheist.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
[+] 1 user Likes Abdul Alhazred's post
30-05-2013, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2013 08:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-05-2013 07:49 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  Whatever philosophical label you choose, if you live your life without reference to a supreme being who supposedly cares what you do or think, then IMO you are "practically" an atheist.

I like it. Thumbsup

I consider myself a practical atheist. I'll pretend to believe anything if it provides an advantage. I mean hell, I've got 35+ years of experience in just pretending to believe to "be". Pretending anything after that is a fucking cakewalk. Fake it 'til you make it. It just works, bitches. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
30-05-2013, 08:23 PM
(30-05-2013 07:49 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  Whatever philosophical label you choose, if you live your life without reference to a supreme being who supposedly cares what you do or think, then IMO you are "practically" an atheist.

Yeah, but... my Gwynnies keeps me from eating people's faces. I don't know, but I heard that's a plus.

As for "apatheism;" sux. Once heard that apathy is the opposite of love. I got too much fucking love. Another thing I got, which is similar, but quite distinct; is ambivalence. Like, I wanna kill 'em, but, that's bad. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
30-05-2013, 08:30 PM
(30-05-2013 01:05 PM)kim Wrote:  

Ignostics feel that, since not enough is known about what a god might be, it is given far too much credit. Even giving a shit about a god is giving it far more power than is necessary or even deserved. The god or a god is completely irrelevant.

Not giving a shit about god or a god, would be apatheist but that would afford it too much relevancy for an ignostic. An ignostic already knows we're ignorant of this god thing, so fuck it - what we don't know, isn't going to be worth getting our panties in a bunch.

Yes, one can be both and there are ignostic apatheists such as myself; if there is a god, it's irrelevant and I don't give a shit.
If I find something irrelevant, there's nothing to debate but, if I don't give a shit about something, I can debate it and still end up not giving a shit.

So much has to do with people giving too much power or credit to this imaginary thing. If it's imaginary... if it's irrelevant, there's nothing to debate. However, if I just don't give a shit about it, I can debate it and still end up not giving a shit. The apatheist in me does the debating.
Apatheism works both ways; many theists are apatheists as well.

That's too complicated. I can understand the agnostic position; I can even agree we're all agnostic - I met god, it ain't to be understood - and ignostic seems to fall into a similar pattern... but apathy? Nah.

What I think, that I think many atheists miss or overlook, is that "god" is a modicum of communication. A lot of sheeple are afraid that the "big bad atheist" is "just out for himself" - ridiculous, i know, but reducing their "god concept" to a function of their identity... kept me from killing some, perhaps. Thumbsup

It is "not bad" to "recognize something beyond the self," and that seems to be the baseline reassurance a lot of theists need. :/

(Yeah, lots of "scare quotes." I'm scairt. )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]