Apatheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2013, 10:09 PM
RE: Apatheism
My wife generally goes by "Apatheist" - she's not a fan of the label. She also mostly just doesn't give a shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2013, 10:37 PM
(30-05-2013 08:30 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's too complicated. I can understand the agnostic position; I can even agree we're all agnostic - I met god, it ain't to be understood - and ignostic seems to fall into a similar pattern... but apathy? Nah.

What I think, that I think many atheists miss or overlook, is that "god" is a modicum of communication. A lot of sheeple are afraid that the "big bad atheist" is "just out for himself" - ridiculous, i know, but reducing their "god concept" to a function of their identity... kept me from killing some, perhaps. Thumbsup

It is "not bad" to "recognize something beyond the self," and that seems to be the baseline reassurance a lot of theists need. :/

(Yeah, lots of "scare quotes." I'm scairt. )

I don't know... I've met a few theists who call themselves theistic apatheists. They seem to give about as much of a shit as I do - zero.

By simply not acknowledging god or religion, I feel I don't give either any power. However, as of late I fear I've probably been doing a bit more reading than is good for my apatheism. I find myself forming debate ideas as if I actually give a shit. Dodgy I'm not sure if giving a shit is good for ignosticism, either... it might be giving the whole god thought too much face time.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
01-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Kim, it may not be that you're so much giving god face time as you are thinking now about the things humans do for god and religion. That's the only reason I give a crap. I'd like to be more apathetic but living where I do, people won't leave you alone about it. Between that and the right wing fundies having so much political power and vilifying atheists, that's why I get pissed off. If I lived in a country or region that didn't care so much about it and react the way they do when/if you tell them you don't share their belief, it wouldn't be a big deal. But I could potentially lose my job, and I've seen that look people get when you tell them. You automatically lower in their estimation, no matter what your other qualities or accomplishments.

When you meet new people here, right after "where do you work?" and "what do you do?" people ask, "where do you go to church?" It makes it hard for me to be apathetic, though I hope to be one day!
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
02-06-2013, 10:33 AM
(30-05-2013 10:37 PM)kim Wrote:  
(30-05-2013 08:30 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's too complicated. I can understand the agnostic position; I can even agree we're all agnostic - I met god, it ain't to be understood - and ignostic seems to fall into a similar pattern... but apathy? Nah.

What I think, that I think many atheists miss or overlook, is that "god" is a modicum of communication. A lot of sheeple are afraid that the "big bad atheist" is "just out for himself" - ridiculous, i know, but reducing their "god concept" to a function of their identity... kept me from killing some, perhaps. Thumbsup

It is "not bad" to "recognize something beyond the self," and that seems to be the baseline reassurance a lot of theists need. :/

(Yeah, lots of "scare quotes." I'm scairt. )

I don't know... I've met a few theists who call themselves theistic apatheists. They seem to give about as much of a shit as I do - zero.

By simply not acknowledging god or religion, I feel I don't give either any power. However, as of late I fear I've probably been doing a bit more reading than is good for my apatheism. I find myself forming debate ideas as if I actually give a shit. Dodgy I'm not sure if giving a shit is good for ignosticism, either... it might be giving the whole god thought too much face time.

Does "I love my Gwynnies" give Gwyneth Paltrow power?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
(02-06-2013 10:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Does "I love my Gwynnies" give Gwyneth Paltrow power?

It gives some semblance of power to those who would seek to glorify Gwyneth Paltrow such as management and advert people - those with loathsome and unscrupulous designs of using Gwyneth for their own selfish needs. Angry

Love needs no glorification, no coercion.
Love IS Gwyneth / Gwyneth, Love.
The division of two or the one by a third, diminishes the two and certainly the one.
The one is as unimportant as two love is void. but religion is tertiary.

Living the change one wishes to see for all. I don't give a shit on their behalf. To live the change; for there to be no power is to give none. I am atheist. I should probably get a dog. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Like cjs, I find myself reacting more to the overtly bothersome religiosity of some members of the US culture, than caring about proving anyone right or wrong. But every so often some clown pushes my buttons, and I opt to shut down the conversation rather than wasting my time in discussion. If something polite like "I don't care to discuss YOUR religion" goes unneeded, something like "have I given you any sign that I care to hear your religious views?" Probably works. Profanity is probably the next escalation point.

I'm thinking more about being stuck on an airplane than something said to someone at work, or a potentially-repeating social encounter. Most people faced with a blank stare and no verbal response to their remarks, give up the line of discussion.

However, because religious contamination seems more in my face these days, I am increasingly interested in honing my skills and communicating a non-theist view of reality more clearly. "I think your religion is bullshit" doesn't quite cut it.

I am not interested in training to be a prize fighter or debater for the sport of it. It's not worth my time. However, I would like to get better at concisely and firmly stating a world view that provides no cover for religion, but can be expressed in a positive, and thought-provoking fashion.
[+] 3 users Like closet.atheist's post
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
That said, visiting parts of the world where religion is ignored by a majority of the population is refreshing.
[+] 3 users Like closet.atheist's post
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
(02-06-2013 11:36 AM)kim Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 10:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Does "I love my Gwynnies" give Gwyneth Paltrow power?

It gives some semblance of power to those who would seek to glorify Gwyneth Paltrow such as management and advert people - those with loathsome and unscrupulous designs of using Gwyneth for their own selfish needs. Angry

Love needs no glorification, no coercion.

Love does need expression. Do I not use Gwyneth for my own selfish needs?

02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
(02-06-2013 12:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Love does need expression. Do I not use Gwyneth for my own selfish needs?
Ew.

I care not for the entirety of humanity rather, prepare for evolution.

It's the fucking and fighting; the destruction that is religion. This evil seeks only to degrade intimacy of the beautiful thing; the beautiful self.

This is fakery beyond the selfish need, beyond the beautiful self; This is the Evil of Man.

This is why I am. Shy Atheist.

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
(02-06-2013 12:46 PM)kim Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 12:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Love does need expression. Do I not use Gwyneth for my own selfish needs?
Ew.

Lolz. Big Grin