Apatheism now!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Lightbulb Apatheism now!
When I first signed on to an atheist forum I posted that I wasn't an atheist with some explanation of why which I no longer remember the reason. I was bombarded with posts explaining that if I believed no god exists or denied gods existence I was defacto an atheist.

I wasn't convinced but accepted that definition but was never completely comfortable with it and have posted on this and other atheist forums as an atheist. I still felt uncomfortable but couldn't explain my feelings. Now I can.

First of all I am not and never have been an atheist. True as a child I was sent to Sunday School but I never thought of religion outside church. Religion was for Sundays but not the rest of the week. All the religious speak had no relevance to my life especially since all the stories of Christ and "his love" for me didn't make sense to me. The bible was a story that had little if any impact on my life or beliefs.

In any case religion while there was unimportant to me. God was there but made little sense to me. So I accepted the premise but not the reality which, of course, was only a myth though at the time wasn't what I thought.

For years whenever I had to fill out a paper that asked what my religious affiliation was I responded "Protestant" when I really felt no religious affiliation.Weeping

God was only a concept and as such was only peripheral to my life not really real.

I was already an atheist but unable to accept that label for the connotative reasons. Then I (for whatever reason(s)) decided to sign up with some atheist forums. I was comfortable discussing pros and cons of God(s) and religion in general because atheism seemed most nearly my view of life. Still I wasn't completely comfortable with the concept; something just wasn't quite right with atheism as a designation of my beliefs.

A few days ago I began to question what my real beliefs were; I wasn't, by far, a theist nor an agnostic, but the view left over was still atheism. But that still didn't feel right. The whole thing seemed to be a black or white situation and I am disturbed by black and white solutions (regardless of the situation). I felt there must be another way to think about God and religions. Finally I came upon the answer; it had to be that neither theism nor atheism could be a viable answer. As I thought about it I came to the conclusion that the whole question was irrelevant to my life.

As it turned out yesterday Mar. 5 that someone posted that they were an apatheist. Not knowing that word (I'd never heard nor read it before) I looked it up on Wikipedia and sure enough the definition was exactly what I was and am feeling.

I looked it up in Wikipedia and found this: "An apatheist is someone who is not interested in accepting or rejecting any claims that gods exist or do not exist. An apatheist lives as if there are no gods. The existence of god(s) is not rejected, but may be designated irrelevant.".

That is how I feel God(s) can be neither proved nor disproved so a deity is totally irrelevant to my being. BTW as far as I am concerned the bible is as much myth as any other myth, Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse or any other "religion" or belief.[Image: EqJx3tQ.gif?zoom=2]

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Ro3bert's post
05-03-2017, 02:02 PM
RE: Apatheism now!
(05-03-2017 01:43 PM)Ro3bert Wrote:  I looked it up in Wikipedia and found this: "An apatheist is someone who is not interested in accepting or rejecting any claims that gods exist or do not exist. An apatheist lives as if there are no gods. The existence of god(s) is not rejected, but may be designated irrelevant.".

Yup. Apathy is a valuable life skill on any number of different irrelevant topics. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-03-2017, 02:05 PM
What if you're too apathetic to call yourself an apatheist?

[+] 7 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
05-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Apatheists of the world! Don't Bother! Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 10 users Like morondog's post
05-03-2017, 02:16 PM
I was effectively an apatheist for most of my life because religion was just never a part of it. I didn't believe in any god but the people I dealt with pretty much either also didn't believe or kept it private.

As the religious right in the US got more and more vocal I began to feel that it was important to counter the nonsense. There are far too many who will take advantage of apathy to push their agenda onto others. To that end I'll openly identify as atheist any time it comes up. I'm lucky that it still isn't an issue in most cases.

In the end, what you call yourself isn't that important. I use 'atheist' for anybody that doesn't accept a claim that a god exists so, by my definition you are one. Some reserve the word for people who believe that no god exists and by that definition you may not qualify. Call yourself whatever you like, just be honest about what you do and don't believe as much as you can.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
05-03-2017, 02:18 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought : "Wait! There's someone who thinks bees are deities?" Unsure
[Image: 23d4810116a37b2667b67117cb42ee30.jpg]

The I realized - Consider no, that would be an apitheist

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 5 users Like Rockblossom's post
(05-03-2017 02:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  Apatheists of the world! Don't Bother! Tongue

I'm thinking of starting a procrastinator's club... if I get around to it I might consider inviting the apatheists.

ETA: not sure I care though

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
(05-03-2017 02:16 PM)unfogged Wrote:  don't believe as much as you can.

Have unfaith

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
05-03-2017, 02:20 PM
(05-03-2017 02:05 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  What if you're too apathetic to call yourself an apatheist?

I guess you are just sitting in your recliner staring into space doing nothing.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
05-03-2017, 02:26 PM
I'm also an apatheist, welcome to the club! Benefits include... I'm too lazy to look them up right now.

I'm an ignostic, and it sounds like you might be too. The position states that God is incoherent and/or unfalsifiable and as such is a nonsense/irrelevant proposition. Goes well with the whole apatheist thing Tongue

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post