Apatheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2012, 06:32 PM
RE: Apatheism
(18-10-2012 05:57 PM)Vosur Wrote:  A real eternity in a real hell is just not an option. Not one that any sane person could choose just for the sake of standing firm on his apatheistic view.
Apatheism does not adress the question of whether or not there is an afterlife, merely the question of whether or not there is a god. An Apatheist's answer to the latter question would be "I don't give a damn either way (and I will live my live accordingly)". The existence of hell does not necessarily follow from the existence of god. That being said, if it was proven that heaven and hell exist and that I had to choose between endless torture and eternal bliss, obviously I'd go for the latter one.

Sorry. I didn't mean to dismiss your thread premise. What I'm saying is we have moved beyond the need for discussions about these concepts, and definitions, and our positions with respect to these discussions at all.

Do we need to discuss our position with respect to pink unicorns ? No.
The ancient human notions of Yahweh, sin, afterlife, heaven, hell, "evil" etc etc are just so debunked, and outdated they just require no consideration at all. They are dismissed. Some of them are interesting, for historical reasons, (only), and useful in understanding how human ideas got to where they are, but they require no position with respect to them be named, or established. The idea that human pea brains, could could cook up even a remotely accurate idea of a god, when we don't even know what 95-99% of this universe is made of, is just simply ridiculous.

Whether the Biblical concept of Chaos vs Order, (which is what the "morality play" of the Garden myth really is) is employed, or not, we are STILL left, either way, with being our authentic selves. With or without religion, one arrives at the same position. Be your (real) self. So all of religion is irrelevant. One arrives at the same place from either direction. As we have discussed, the Tao, the Christian "Dark Night", (the highest level of Christian "prayer and "contemplation", the scientific "we don't know yet", Agnosticism. A-theism, Apatheism, KC's elect or not elect, even Egor's Universal Consciousness, ALL leave one on a practical basis, all in precisely EXACTLY the same place. Be your best self. So why fight over definitions ? That's why I say, "who cares" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
I'm an agnostic. We cannot know if there really is a teapot orbiting the sun.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2012, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 07:16 PM by Vosur.)
(18-10-2012 06:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's why I say, "who cares" ?
That's exactly what an apatheist would ask. Wink

Though I do get your point. It's more about finding the right label when you're in the position of having to choose one. In the end, I agree with Neil deGrasse Tyson who said that "At the end of the day, I'd rather not be any category at all".

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
18-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Wow, am I the only one who isn't an apatheist?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
18-10-2012, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 08:26 PM by fstratzero.)
I'm a gnostic atheist. Who holds the general position that religion is psychologically damaging, and detrimental to society.

I think apatheism is a great way to the erosion of secular society.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
18-10-2012, 08:39 PM
My wife prefers to side on apatheist. She's told me many times she doesn't really believe, but just doesn't care whether or not there's a deity of any sort. For the longest time she just has called herself agnostic. One day she was reading and did some research on the term and went... "Hey, honey, check out this... there's a word for not giving a shit about the whole thing. Apatheist... pretty much describes me to the T."
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
18-10-2012, 08:42 PM
(18-10-2012 08:39 PM)Logisch Wrote:  My wife prefers to side on apatheist. She's told me many times she doesn't really believe, but just doesn't care whether or not there's a deity of any sort. For the longest time she just has called herself agnostic. One day she was reading and did some research on the term and went... "Hey, honey, check out this... there's a word for not giving a shit about the whole thing. Apatheist... pretty much describes me to the T."

I personally think that whether or not a deity exists is a very important thing, not only to base your reality off the information, but just to know the implications and deny this deity morally if I judge him unfit for his duty, either as a master, or as a father.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
18-10-2012, 08:47 PM
(18-10-2012 08:42 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I personally think that whether or not a deity exists is a very important thing, not only to base your reality off the information, but just to know the implications and deny this deity morally if I judge him unfit for his duty, either as a master, or as a father.
What do you think would change in your life if god's existence would have been established as fact?

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
18-10-2012, 09:09 PM
(18-10-2012 08:47 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 08:42 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I personally think that whether or not a deity exists is a very important thing, not only to base your reality off the information, but just to know the implications and deny this deity morally if I judge him unfit for his duty, either as a master, or as a father.
What do you think would change in your life if god's existence would have been established as fact?

How about the acceptance of god, following it's religion, and participating in it's worship.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
18-10-2012, 09:11 PM
(18-10-2012 09:09 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  How about the acceptance of god, following it's religion, and participating in it's worship.
Why would you want to do that?

18-10-2012, 09:15 PM
(18-10-2012 09:11 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 09:09 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  How about the acceptance of god, following it's religion, and participating in it's worship.
Why would you want to do that?

In the hypothetical sense it was real. It would then be in my best interests to do so. To reach heaven and prevent eternal damnation.

-Baron d'Holbach-