• 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2012, 09:17 PM
RE: Apatheism
Great, so... is it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2012, 09:20 PM
(18-10-2012 09:15 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  In the hypothetical sense it was real. It would then be in my best interests to do so. To reach heaven and prevent eternal damnation.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid186718

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
18-10-2012, 09:31 PM
(18-10-2012 09:20 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 09:15 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  In the hypothetical sense it was real. It would then be in my best interests to do so. To reach heaven and prevent eternal damnation.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid186718

Most certainly. It wouldn't be necessarily true that theology got it correct.

However it's very existence should be enough to launch a correct religion through empirical studies of it's nature.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
18-10-2012, 09:34 PM
If a deity does exist, why would you feel the need to form a religion if thus far nothing has bothered to come give us anything convincing? Wouldn't that be doing the same thing the rest of religions have been doing? What would a "correct religion" even be?
18-10-2012, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 10:07 PM by fstratzero.)
(18-10-2012 09:34 PM)Logisch Wrote:  If a deity does exist, why would you feel the need to form a religion if thus far nothing has bothered to come give us anything convincing? Wouldn't that be doing the same thing the rest of religions have been doing? What would a "correct religion" even be?

Simply because if it is real. There would measurable effects upon the universe to which we could study. I wouldn't feel the necessity to create any religion, rather I would say religion would eventually come from the that deity empirically.

I care about the true nature of reality, and a god would most certainly change things.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
18-10-2012, 10:25 PM
(18-10-2012 09:31 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  However it's very existence should be enough to launch a correct religion through empirical studies of it's nature.
(18-10-2012 09:45 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Simply because if it is real. There would measurable effects upon the universe to which we could study. I wouldn't feel the necessity to create any religion, rather I would say religion would eventually come from the that deity empirically.

I care about the true nature of reality, and a god would most certainly change things.
You're implying that this god could be studied. That doesn't have to be the case at all.

18-10-2012, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 10:41 PM by fstratzero.)
(18-10-2012 10:25 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 09:31 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  However it's very existence should be enough to launch a correct religion through empirical studies of it's nature.
(18-10-2012 09:45 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Simply because if it is real. There would measurable effects upon the universe to which we could study. I wouldn't feel the necessity to create any religion, rather I would say religion would eventually come from the that deity empirically.

You're implying that this god could be studied. That doesn't have to be the case at all.

I'm actually asserting it quite directly. A being who cannot have any effects on the universe, isn't a god.

It should be evident for it to have an effect on the universe, there would be a mechanism by which it works. That mechanism would be observable, and therefore able to be studied.

-Baron d'Holbach-
18-10-2012, 11:12 PM
(18-10-2012 10:33 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I'm actually asserting it quite directly. A being who cannot have any effects on the universe, isn't a god.
Just because it can, doesn't mean that it has to, does it?

(18-10-2012 10:33 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  It should be evident for it to have an effect on the universe, there would be a mechanism by which it works. That mechanism would be observable, and therefore able to be studied.
Again, that doesn't have to be the case. Consider for example a deistic god who created the universe and then refrained from having any further effects on it.

19-10-2012, 01:15 AM
(18-10-2012 11:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 10:33 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I'm actually asserting it quite directly. A being who cannot have any effects on the universe, isn't a god.
Just because it can, doesn't mean that it has to, does it?

(18-10-2012 10:33 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  It should be evident for it to have an effect on the universe, there would be a mechanism by which it works. That mechanism would be observable, and therefore able to be studied.
Again, that doesn't have to be the case. Consider for example a deistic god who created the universe and then refrained from having any further effects on it.

Perhaps that is my error in assuming this god was one of christianity.

But at that point the creator from all we understand from science, would essentially be the great unbalancer of forces. Like the worlds biggest Rubes Goldberg machine engineer.

And if it's only quality is the ability to unbalance forces in a singularity then why call that god?

-Baron d'Holbach-
19-10-2012, 02:10 AM
(19-10-2012 01:15 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  And if it's only quality is the ability to unbalance forces in a singularity then why call that god?
Don't ask me, I'm not a deist. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post