Apatheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 11:45 AM by fstratzero.)
RE: Apatheism
My friend Chris from facebook

Quote:I don't really care to call myself an Atheist anymore, and here's why: I don't believe in goblins. I also don't feel the need to give a name to all people who don't believe in goblins, just because there might be people who do believe in goblins. I similarly do not go out and seek a brotherhood of goblin deniers. Most atrocities committed in the name of religion are completely against the teachings of that religion, which makes me think they would be committed anyway. A group of like minded people is always going to be an echo chamber where ideas get more and more extreme if there's nothing or no one to moderate them (see: politics). There are a lot of people who like Nickelback, but I'll be fucked if they admit it on the internet, because the internet took a vote and Nickelback is the worst band in the world. I don't like Nickelback because I think they are bland and soulless, but they are hardly the worst thing in the world. But without people ever challenging that idea, it becomes more and more groupthink, and reality gets suppressed more and more. It happens in everything. People can't say they think Wrath is the best WoW expansion, because the BC elitists will tell them it's because they're casual noobs. People can't say they liked the new Star Wars movies or they aren't true fans. Don't go out of your way to surround yourself with people who think just like you, because it suppresses your ability to think. Ever have an idea that sounds great, and you tell it to someone and they poke a hole in it immediately, and you go, "Oh, right. I didn't think of that"? If you're not afraid to be yourself and you treat others with respect, you'll forge lasting bonds with people whether or not you believe in an old man in the sky who wants you to cut your penis and kill your first born, sell your daughter into slavery, kill your neighbor for trimming his sideburns, and drink the blood of his human son to repent for all of man's wickedness.
Basically the whole thing is

"I don't like ingroup/outgroup bias"
"I like other people who think differently"
"I assume that all atheists are the same"

I did respond to him and let him know that, NO we are not a homogenous group at all!
We do all think differently, and have many other crazy ideas to go over with one another.

But
I feel like his whole tirade is a selective abstraction. Not every
atheist is a science/logic nerd. It helps but there is an entire world
of different ideas in the community aside from religion.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
16-02-2013, 11:48 AM
(16-02-2013 11:12 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  My friend Chris from facebook

Quote:... a brotherhood of goblin deniers.

Yep. Feels that way to me a lot of the time, too. Shy
(16-02-2013 11:12 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  "I assume that all atheists are the same"
I don't know about that... Consider what do you mean?

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
16-02-2013, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 12:00 PM by fstratzero.)
(16-02-2013 11:48 AM)kim Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 11:12 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  My friend Chris from facebook

Yep. Feels that way to me a lot of the time, too. Shy
(16-02-2013 11:12 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  "I assume that all atheists are the same"
I don't know about that... Consider what do you mean?
"Don't go out of your way to surround yourself with people who think just like you, because it suppresses your ability to think."

This part.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
16-02-2013, 12:17 PM
(16-02-2013 11:53 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  His whole echo chamber argument, which boils down to a slippery slope fallacy.

Not necessarily.

I think that giving excessive lip service or wasting brain waves on something completely irrelevant to the existence of human beings just empowers that very thing.

I don't know.
I don't want to know.
I don't give a shit.
Ignostic Apathiesm Drinking Beverage

I've been an atheist all my life but really until I got into the internet atheist community, I didn't know what all the fuss was about... and now I do. Maybe your friend is just disillusioned and thinks he can't "don't know" anymore because now he "knows"

You might inform him that's pretty much taken care of with Ignosticism; you can know but the thing that you know, is that you don't know and any inference or implication is irrelevant.

All the really cool ignostics are also apatheist so... ya know. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
16-02-2013, 02:45 PM
(16-02-2013 12:17 PM)kim Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 11:53 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  His whole echo chamber argument, which boils down to a slippery slope fallacy.

Not necessarily.

I think that giving excessive lip service or wasting brain waves on something completely irrelevant to the existence of human beings just empowers that very thing.

I don't know.
I don't want to know.
I don't give a shit.
Ignostic Apathiesm Drinking Beverage

I've been an atheist all my life but really until I got into the internet atheist community, I didn't know what all the fuss was about... and now I do. Maybe your friend is just disillusioned and thinks he can't "don't know" anymore because now he "knows"

You might inform him that's pretty much taken care of with Ignosticism; you can know but the thing that you know, is that you don't know and any inference or implication is irrelevant.

All the really cool ignostics are also apatheist so... ya know. Drinking Beverage
Thanks for your response it's been very helpful.

-Baron d'Holbach-
16-02-2013, 04:34 PM
It is easy to say you would not change... When you are sure that there is no God. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
16-02-2013, 05:31 PM
(16-02-2013 04:34 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It is easy to say you would not change... When you are sure that there is no God. Drinking Beverage

Nah, not really. If I was sure there is a god, what difference would it make?
If it wanted to kill me, there's not much I could do about it. I'd just die. Which I was on my way to doing, anyway.

Burn in some Hell kind of place after death? Thought we were talking about living.

I'm very sure I don't know what goes on after death and I know for a fact that I do not care.
But if someone insists, we can further this discussion after death... that should resolve the matter sufficiently. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-02-2013, 08:18 PM
(16-02-2013 05:31 PM)kim Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 04:34 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It is easy to say you would not change... When you are sure that there is no God. Drinking Beverage

Nah, not really. If I was sure there is a god, what difference would it make?
If it wanted to kill me, there's not much I could do about it. I'd just die. Which I was on my way to doing, anyway.

Burn in some Hell kind of place after death? Thought we were talking about living.

I'm very sure I don't know what goes on after death and I know for a fact that I do not care.
But if someone insists, we can further this discussion after death... that should resolve the matter sufficiently. Drinking Beverage
And I know for a fact your answer would be different if you were religious.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
16-02-2013, 10:02 PM
(16-02-2013 08:18 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  And I know for a fact your answer would be different if you were religious.

Don't know that - never was religious.
How do you know for a fact something inside another person's mind?

20-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Think kim first introduced me to the term "ignostic apatheist" and I like it. I'm going with it. Smile

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.