Ape strength

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2015, 02:39 AM
RE: Ape strength
(27-03-2015 03:20 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(27-03-2015 02:51 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The last one I built is a custom use 12 gauge rifle - which spits out a saboted 300 grain 50 caliber bullet at 2100 fps. -- for over 3000 ft/lbs of energy. I've cored deer at 250 yards with it.

It'd be plenty to take down a gorilla..... Not that I know anybody who'd want to........
So you assembled it or did you actually invest in the machinery necessary to actually fabricate all those parts? Buying parts and putting them together isn't manufacturing, it's assembly and anyone with the ability to read can do that.

Ahhh a "purist" are you???

No -- I don't have a rifling draw broach table. So no - I don't draw my rifling. And - no -- I don't have a gun drill setup for my engine lathe. It's not something I'd use.

Are they a big mystery to me?? As a retired prototype machinist - no, not really.

Do I build every screw? Nope - I buy those. I don't feel like wasting my time building inferior threads. Yes - your single pointed cut threads are inferior to those that are built on slide table compression forming machine that increase the density of the threads as they're formed.

Do I build the receivers of the guns I build? No - I don't -- I don't really feel like going through the hassle -- Someday I might want to sell one of these puppies - and if they're not built under BATF guidelines - it's just possible that I'd run afoul of that agency. It's much easier and less worry to simply buy and modify any receiver I need that's "legal".

And -- the biggest sin of all -- I don't dig the ore out of the ground, refine it myself and alloy it into the steel I need for the project....

I'm not that fucking anal....

OK??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2015, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2015 02:49 AM by Azaraith.)
Point was, the gun doesn't make you at all a badass as you imagine yourself to be. It's an invention of someone else's and is something any of our species can just as easily acquire. Who gives a shit if your one of the millions capable of scrounging up enough resources to get one. Bragging about the ability is asinine in that light. Ya ain't special because of it, nor is it impressive that a gun can kill an ape.

The thread was about natural strength of the animal, not its ability to invent firearms.

Better without God, and happier too.
28-03-2015, 02:56 AM
(28-03-2015 02:45 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  Point was, the gun doesn't make you at all a badass as you imagine yourself to be. It's an invention of someone else's and is something any of our species can just as easily acquire. Who gives a shit if your one of the millions capable of scrounging up enough resources to get one. Bragging about the ability is asinine in that light. Ya ain't special because of it, nor is it impressive that a gun can kill an ape.

The thread was about natural strength of the animal, not its ability to invent firearms.

Where did you get the idea that I claim to be a badass???

As far as I can see - that's simply YOUR faulty conclusion.

My point was I'm NOT a huge physical specimen capable of ripping off faces -- but, I'm smart enough to still be at the top of the fucking food chain.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-03-2015, 03:00 AM
Bringing in your "I can pull 10lbs trigger hurr durr" comment was the bragadocio I was referring to. I don't think anyone in this thread really is unaware of the existence of guns or their ability to kill apes. The "yeah apes are strong, but we're #1 cuz guns" bullshit isn't really adding anything, it just seems laughably insecure, as if anyone wasn't certain of the fact that we're far more advamced than other species...

28-03-2015, 03:05 AM
I guess they don't have humor on your planet...

Sorry about that....

28-03-2015, 03:08 AM
"Oh wow, did you know tuna can swim 45mph?"

"Ha LOL, speedboats are so much faster!"

Yep, right. Sounds like a really good joke right there.

29-03-2015, 06:29 PM
(27-03-2015 09:55 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...s-science/

Quote:Humans Evolved Weak Muscles to Feed Brain's Growth, Study Suggests

We humans may be weaklings by nature.

Humans appear to have evolved puny muscles even faster than they grew big brains, according to a new metabolic study that pitted people against chimps and monkeys in contests of strength.

The upshot, says biologist Roland Roberts, is that "weak muscles may be the price we pay for the metabolic demands of our amazing cognitive powers."

Here is the actual study.

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/art...io.1001871

Let's get the thread back on track. I think this study has interesting implications for (non-human) ape strength. Ape brains have remained the same size for millions of years, so natural selection had no reason to tinker with their muscles.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2015, 08:09 PM
(29-04-2012 12:10 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I came across a humorous blog entry detailing the reason why apes are so much stronger than humans:
That's like coming across a blog entry detailing the reason why birds are so much smaller than ostriches

ostriches are to birds, as what humans are to apes.
29-03-2015, 08:54 PM
(29-03-2015 08:09 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(29-04-2012 12:10 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I came across a humorous blog entry detailing the reason why apes are so much stronger than humans:
That's like coming across a blog entry detailing the reason why birds are so much smaller than ostriches

Yes, humans are apes, but it's clear everyone who has commented knows what I was referring to: humans and modern non-human primates. No need to split hairs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2015, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015 10:25 PM by Stevil.)
(29-03-2015 08:54 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 08:09 PM)Stevil Wrote:  That's like coming across a blog entry detailing the reason why birds are so much smaller than ostriches

Yes, humans are apes, but it's clear everyone who has commented knows what I was referring to: humans and modern non-human primates. No need to split hairs.
I'm great at pointing out the obvious, but there are many theists who get all troubled at the suggestion that humans are apes.

Anyway, all this arguing has made me hungry, think I'll swing by a dairy and get me a banana.