Apes Can Anticipate What You Think

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Apes Can Anticipate What You Think
Even when you are mistaken.

Quote:Apes understand what others believe to be true. What’s more, they realize that those beliefs can be wrong, researchers say. To make this discovery, researchers devised experiments involving a concealed, gorilla-suited person or a squirreled-away rock that had been moved from their original hiding places — something the apes knew, but a person looking for King Kong or the stone didn’t.

“Apes anticipated that an individual would search for an object where he last saw it, even though the apes knew that the object was no longer there,” says evolutionary anthropologist Christopher Krupenye.

https://www.sciencenews.org/node/192464/

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
07-10-2016, 10:25 AM
RE: Apes Can Anticipate What You Think
Sounds like a good experiment. Lot's of people think their pet predicts what they are going to do. But I think it is a case of "micro-body language" , all that most animals really have in terms of nuanced language, and habit - clues to repeated sequences of events.

One video a saw that was really good was the counting chimps and marginal altruism. One chimp learened to count - he was offered, say, x grapes but only given them if he rapped x times. I think 6 was about the limit.

Then they tried with another chimp who had not learned to count yet. First chimp sat behind him, looking over his shoulder. The rear view camera showed chimp one surreptitously tapping two's shoulder with the correct number to try to help him. Chimp one appeared to know he was cheating

Can't find it on yt but other counting and altruistic chimp videos there.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
07-10-2016, 11:16 AM
(07-10-2016 10:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Sounds like a good experiment. Lot's of people think their pet predicts what they are going to do. But I think it is a case of "micro-body language" , all that most animals really have in terms of nuanced language, and habit - clues to repeated sequences of events.

One video a saw that was really good was the counting chimps and marginal altruism. One chimp learened to count - he was offered, say, x grapes but only given them if he rapped x times. I think 6 was about the limit.

Then they tried with another chimp who had not learned to count yet. First chimp sat behind him, looking over his shoulder. The rear view camera showed chimp one surreptitously tapping two's shoulder with the correct number to try to help him. Chimp one appeared to know he was cheating

I tend to think that counting, among others, is part of the primate's repertoire. That it has a survival value. You want to know how many belong to a rival group, if there is enough of a delicacy to go around and that kind of thing.

Which reminds me that counting is not a skill beyond the much maligned bird brain.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
07-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Too bad that research into the ways animals perceive and process info is just in it's infancy.

My work with police dogs opened my eyes to the differences in perspective, what info is gathered and how it is gathered.

I think that, once we understand these things, it will open a whole new world to us. Dogs read such nuances of body language that we are not aware much of it exists, for instance. If dogs could communicate what they smell, it would change our whole justice system. Dogs can pick up on scent particles we don't even know exist. Dogs are aware of our health issues and in some cases are used to help predict seizures etc.

And these are just the dogs, and just some of the things we are aware of. So many different animal species out there who evolved to tune into things we are oblivious to.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
07-10-2016, 12:08 PM
(07-10-2016 11:16 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(07-10-2016 10:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Sounds like a good experiment. Lot's of people think their pet predicts what they are going to do. But I think it is a case of "micro-body language" , all that most animals really have in terms of nuanced language, and habit - clues to repeated sequences of events.

I tend to think that counting, among others, is part of the primate's repertoire. That it has a survival value. You want to know how many belong to a rival group, if there is enough of a delicacy to go around and that kind of thing.

Which reminds me that counting is not a skill beyond the much maligned bird brain.

I have heard that African greys are the most intelligent of birds - seems they might compare with chimps and dolphins.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post