26-02-2014, 01:32 AM
RE: Apologetics is bad for Christianity
Lion how old are you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 03:07 AM
(26-02-2014 12:15 AM)le_bard Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 11:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  YOU are actually the best apologist for atheism I've seen.
Your idiocy knows no bounds. You aren't exactly one to be talking about people "making fools" of themselves. You are quite THE expert in that area, Drivel.

Drich wrote: A English professor I debated from oxford thought this way
i was dying when i read that in your sig xD

When I read that I wondered if the English professor knew that he was being debated with.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
26-02-2014, 03:12 AM
(26-02-2014 01:08 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  If (evangelical) apologetics is bad for Christianity why do so many anti-theists hate apologists?

Some people are anti-theists because they were raised and conditioned from birth in a faith without any choice in the matter and they are resentful. They will remember how they were also subject to the apologetics and the effect it had on them before they broke free.
26-02-2014, 03:32 AM
(26-02-2014 03:12 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 01:08 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  If (evangelical) apologetics is bad for Christianity why do so many anti-theists hate apologists?

Some people are anti-theists because they were raised and conditioned from birth in a faith without any choice in the matter and they are resentful. They will remember how they were also subject to the apologetics and the effect it had on them before they broke free.

Not sure why but that made me think of Monkey Magic, bursting out of a shell of applogetics with "thought" and then beating shit up.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
26-02-2014, 06:40 AM

Anti-theists are usually against theists in general....

As I've posted before, most of us are up for a fair debate if it people don't spout the same apologetics since the dawn of man. Because doing so is simply ignorance on he part of the apologist and it no longer is a debate, but a school session with someone who refuses to learn but challenges the knowledge

It's only a debate if both parties are willing to let each other's opinions change their own.
If you aren't willing to change in light of learning more about what you fight for, what the hell are you doing expecting the other party to want to change?
26-02-2014, 06:52 AM
(26-02-2014 06:40 AM)le_bard Wrote:  Anti-theists are usually against theists in general....

As I've posted before, most of us are up for a fair debate if it people don't spout the same apologetics since the dawn of man. Because doing so is simply ignorance on he part of the apologist and it no longer is a debate, but a school session with someone who refuses to learn but challenges the knowledge
Seems to me that skeptics spout the same arguments over and over. For example, on every atheist forum you'll see arguments that omniscience precludes free will, and also arguments that omnipotence means "can do anything." Is that ignorance on the part of the skeptic and no longer a debate, but a school session with someone who refuses to learn but challenges the knowledge?
26-02-2014, 07:02 AM
(26-02-2014 06:52 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Seems to me that skeptics spout the same arguments over and over.

And are these same arguments ever answered according to the criteria of the skeptics (i.e. evidence and logical consistency) ?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
26-02-2014, 07:47 AM
(26-02-2014 07:02 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  And are these same arguments ever answered according to the criteria of the skeptics (i.e. evidence and logical consistency) ?
Facepalm The examples of skeptic arguments I gave are themselves logically inconsistent.
26-02-2014, 07:48 AM
(26-02-2014 07:47 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 07:02 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  And are these same arguments ever answered according to the criteria of the skeptics (i.e. evidence and logical consistency) ?
Facepalm The examples of skeptic arguments are themselves logically inconsistent.

Show us a skeptic argument which is inconsistent. Come on don't be a pussy.
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post
26-02-2014, 08:22 AM
(26-02-2014 07:48 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Show us a skeptic argument which is inconsistent. Come on don't be a pussy.
I already did. It's inconsistent to argue that omnipotence means "can do anything" when it suits your purposes (typically in a PoE discussion), but to also claim that omniscience and free will are logcially incompatible.