Apologist website on how to OWN us!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Apologist website on how to OWN us!
You guys come across this page?

Oh My, they've got us beat! Check and Mate! HA!

http://carm.org/cut-atheism

This is some of the most circular reasoning i have ever heard. They approach it as if we "Believe" in Atheism. A 4th grader must have created this rebuttals.

Dennis
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2011, 01:37 PM
RE: Apologist website on how to OWN us!
LMAO

I like this part: You cannot explain the origins of the universe itself...therefore God exists.

Also, what is this supposed to mean? I'm seriously asking (and looking into on my own, too):

iii.The universe cannot be infinitely old or all useable energy would have been lost already (entropy). This has not occurred. Therefore, the universe is not infinitely old.
[/i]
And "screaming blue ants" would make a great band name.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2011, 01:54 PM
3.Responding to Atheist Statements about the Bible
A."The Bible is full of contradictions."
i.Saying the Bible is full of contradictions does not mean it is so. Can you provide a contradiction that we can examine in context? There are many websites that address alleged contradictions. Here is one: http://www.carm.org.

Ehh.. sure okay.

I know of a fancy website too that explains contradicitons in the bible.. or more or less... exposes them! http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
23-09-2011, 02:16 PM
This website is antic. They don't point out any argument that god exists, they only show how atheistic is wrong. That's a childish way to lead a discussion.
23-09-2011, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2011 02:56 PM by Crucify This!.)
1.A.ii.)
"If you say that atheism needs no evidence or reason, then you are holding a position that has no evidence or rational basis? If so, then isn't that simply faith?"
Who the fuck ever said atheism needs no evidence? How do you provide evidence to support the disbelief in ANYTHING, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Many sites, including the thinkingatheist have done a spectacular job at finding flaws in religion. Atheists have their beliefs because of the lack of evidence given from apologists. The entire philosophy is based on evidence, not "faith". As Bill Maher once said: "Faith is the willful suspension of critical thinking". It is them who don't have evidence or a rational basis.

1.B.) "By using logic"

I'm sorry, what? Isn't that the opposite of what lead most theists into their beliefs (Indoctrination, fear, etc.)

2.A.ii)
If you lack belief in God, then why do you go around attacking the idea of God? If you also lack belief in invisible pink unicorns, why don't you go around attacking that idea?
Uhm, because pink unicorn apologists don't tell me I can't wear a condom, or that I can't have sex with someone of the same gender, they don't dictate political decisions or education policies and I'm not a bad person and am going to hell because I don't believe in the existence of pink unicorns. There are no social repercussions if I don't attend Sunday's Unicornology mass. There are no unicorn extremists strapping explosives to their chests to kill infidels so they can have their 72 fluffy, cute unicorns. And when was the last war you heard of when two countries didn't have the same beliefs in unicorns, so they bombed each other?

Can someone find the evidence to support the claim at 2.F ("There are many scientists who affirm evidence for God's existence through science.")? You have to appreciate the authors lack of support for his claims. THERE IS EVIDENCE, I JUST CANT FIND IT! BUT TRUST ME! lol

I find it offensive for the words "Christian" and "Research" to be on the same banner. They are simply making up arguments to fill a web page.
[+] 2 users Like Crucify This!'s post
23-09-2011, 02:45 PM
(23-09-2011 01:37 PM)zaika Wrote:  iii.The universe cannot be infinitely old or all useable energy would have been lost already (entropy). This has not occurred. Therefore, the universe is not infinitely old.
[/i]

Who the fuck ever said the Universe is infinitely old? It is approximately 14 Billion years, give or take. What a doofus.

Also: Good band name.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
23-09-2011, 03:02 PM

(23-09-2011 02:29 PM)Crucify This! Wrote:  2.A.ii)
If you lack belief in God, then why do you go around attacking the idea of God? If you also lack belief in invisible pink unicorns, why don't you go around attacking that idea?
Uhm, because pink unicorn apologists don't tell me I can't wear a condom, or that I can't have sex with someone of the same gender, they don't dictate political decisions or education policies and I'm not a bad person and am going to hell because I don't believe in the existence of pink unicorns. There are no social repercussions if I don't attend Sunday's Unicornology mass. There are no unicorn extremists strapping explosives to their chests to kill infidels so they can have their 72 fluffy, cute unicorns. And when was the last war you heard of when two countries didn't have the same beliefs in unicorns, so they bombed each other?

You have just gained a fan!!! I love this reply!

Dennis
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2011, 03:06 PM
(23-09-2011 02:45 PM)17thknight Wrote:  iii.The universe cannot be infinitely old or all useable energy would have been lost already (entropy). This has not occurred. Therefore, the universe is not infinitely old.
[/i]

The same argument can be made for battery life. I have batteries in my remote, the package says that they will soon run out of charge, however they haven't. They must be infinitely charged. By the same logic, the rapture will never occur. It hasn't happened yet, it must never happen.

Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't make it false. Of all people to understand that, apologists should (defending the rapture).

Edit: Thanks Denicio! I'm going to attack the rest of the page's logic when I get off work.
23-09-2011, 03:12 PM
(23-09-2011 01:37 PM)zaika Wrote:  LMAO

I like this part: You cannot explain the origins of the universe itself...therefore God exists.

Also, what is this supposed to mean? I'm seriously asking (and looking into on my own, too):

iii.The universe cannot be infinitely old or all useable energy would have been lost already (entropy). This has not occurred. Therefore, the universe is not infinitely old.
[/i]

Yeah, the first part is the argument from ignorance... a debate fallacy. This second part is the argument based on the second law of thermodynamics, which TheThinkingAtheist has already refuted (we're not dealing with closed systems) but it's also badly applied, as it pertains to perpetual motion machines... nothing in the universe is perpetual, and we accept that every part that has energy (like a star) will eventually lose it to use and dissipation.

Thanks for the link, Denicio. It was good for a laugh.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
23-09-2011, 03:25 PM
(23-09-2011 03:12 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(23-09-2011 01:37 PM)zaika Wrote:  LMAO

[/i]

Yeah, the first part is the argument from ignorance... a debate fallacy. This second part is the argument based on the second law of thermodynamics, which TheThinkingAtheist has already refuted (we're not dealing with closed systems) but it's also badly applied, as it pertains to perpetual motion machines... nothing in the universe is perpetual, and we accept that every part that has energy (like a star) will eventually lose it to use and dissipation.

Thanks for the link, Denicio. It was good for a laugh.

Thank you, Starcrash!

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan