Apologist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
AW: RE: Apologist
(04-02-2013 05:21 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Vosur.

Thanks for that.

So an apologist, much like what KC is saying, is anyone that defends their position?
Yes.

(04-02-2013 05:21 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Perhaps you can help me. I've always perceived a pejorative sense to the term. Is that because connotatively it is something leveled against the religious, or that attempting to justify one's position, whatever it is, is base? Or have I just read too much into the pejorative issue? I ask this question in particular because I have at times been accused of being an apologist and, in context, it seemed like the individual was attempting to insult me.
I suppose there are those who use the term pejoratively, but I personally use it only descriptively. It's not any different to me than calling a programmer a programmer.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
RE: AW: Apologist
(05-02-2013 02:55 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I suppose there are those who use the term pejoratively, but I personally use it only descriptively. It's not any different to me than calling a programmer a programmer.

Well, the programmers at Microsoft sure owe us all some apologies. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-02-2013, 03:59 PM
RE: Apologist
Devil's advocate.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
05-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Apologists of all persuasions seem to feel pretty certain, whether based on scientific logic or spiritual intuition.

Apologies if this opinion offends you. Smile
05-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Hello.
Devil's advocate.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
06-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Hey, Vosur.

Thanks again.

So I'm an Agnostic apologist and you're an Atheist apologist?

Hey, Chas.

I wanted to lol you but I got an error 404 message Cool

Hey, Woof.

Is certainty a necessary quality of Apologists?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
06-02-2013, 08:29 AM
(05-02-2013 02:04 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Dom.

Thank you very much for your crappy elaboration... wait...

So does that mean that an apologist is someone that defends a position that you disagree with?

I suppose that my extension question would be, would it be possible for an apologist to change your mind?

Matt
An apologist is someone defending a religious position I disagree with. (Because I disagree with all religious positions)
I have not heard of apologists involved in other than religious discussions.
Religious apologists cannot change my mind unless they can produce a god for me to inspect. Or, better yet, for the motley crew here at TTA to inspect. That I'd love to see!
If there were non religious apologists, they might change my mind on their topic, given that I can accept the premise of their argument.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Hey, Dom.

So someone is an apologist only if they defend religion because you disagree with all religion?

If that's the case, then why use the term at all? It seems to blanket cover all religious people.

Also, for you, is there any value judgement made? Ie, do you have some sort of feeling towards these apologists?

Matt
06-02-2013, 09:02 AM
To me apologist means someone who I dunno... like *righteously* defends their position. e.g. good king Harry the Eighth of Angular land, before he was excommunicated for cutting his wives heads off (or did that happen after?) was famously awarded the title of 'defender of the faith' by the then pope for writing some random essay as part of his school homework. It's seen as *right* to show the unbeliever the *truth*... or rather, to *defend* the faith from the *attacks* of the heretics...

To me an apologist is one who defends their position from a sense of rightness to do so, rather than from a sense that the position is correct, if you catch my drift. An apologist doesn't *investigate* or *test* as a scientist would, the goal is not to *check* if the statement is correct, the goal is to *convince other people* that it is correct, and this is a *right* thing to do.

That's my take on it... my personal definition for the word. Congruent to anyone else's ?
06-02-2013, 09:14 AM
(06-02-2013 08:36 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Dom.

So someone is an apologist only if they defend religion because you disagree with all religion?

If that's the case, then why use the term at all? It seems to blanket cover all religious people.

Also, for you, is there any value judgement made? Ie, do you have some sort of feeling towards these apologists?

Matt
I never heard the word apologist in any context other than religion. Hence I assume it's a religious term until I come across it's usage in some other way. (And you didn't want us to look things up).
Value judgement? Not really, I suppose they differ from each other just like everyone else in this world.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man