Apologists for IS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Apologists for IS
I just can't get my head around some people. A guy I know online was talking today about IS and the beheading of Alan Henning.

He put their motives down to "society, poverty, terror and politics"... And actually said he doesn't think religion has anything to do with their actions.

I don't know how he can think that... When the Quran is littered with instructions to carry out the very actions we're seeing in Iraq and Syria. And I don't know how he can attribute this violence to poverty... He is very liberal in his views, I consider myself liberal too, but not to anything like that extent.

I don't know how to respond... I've explained the "no true Scotsman" fallacy to him. I'm just lost for words.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
04-10-2014, 03:19 PM
RE: Apologists for IS
Sectioned off all responses except for the OP to the Viper's Pit. Let's actually have a discussion about this.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
04-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Religion is a tool. Blaming religion for killing people is like blaming spoons for causing obesity.
04-10-2014, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 03:44 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(04-10-2014 03:27 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Religion is a tool. Blaming religion for killing people is like blaming spoons for causing obesity.

False analogy. Spoons are not necessary for the intake of food which leads to obesity, we utilize them due to social custom. More importantly, they are not the motivating factor for obesity. The religious beliefs of ISIS members, on the other hand are the direct motivators of their justification for killing people; they wouldn't likely be motivated to kill people in the absence of their religious beliefs.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 10 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
04-10-2014, 04:05 PM
(04-10-2014 03:27 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Religion is a tool. Blaming religion for killing people is like blaming spoons for causing obesity.

No, that is false.

Religion gives not only the justification to do such deeds, it is the exact REASON that those deeds are carried out. This is because those deeds to the people who do them are in full belief that what they are doing is their gods work. That if they keep doing it, they will be rewarded and those they kill will be punished somehow.

Blaming religion for killing people is like blaming over eating and lack of exercise and a bad matabolism causes obesity is a better analogy.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
04-10-2014, 04:11 PM
(04-10-2014 03:35 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  

False analogy. Spoons are not necessary for the intake of food which leads to obesity, we utilize them due to social custom. More importantly, they are not the motivating factor for obesity.

It's the sporks, it's always the sporks.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-10-2014, 04:16 PM
(04-10-2014 01:30 PM)Sam Wrote:  I just can't get my head around some people. A guy I know online was talking today about IS and the beheading of Alan Henning.

He put their motives down to "society, poverty, terror and politics"... And actually said he doesn't think religion has anything to do with their actions.

I don't know how he can think that... When the Quran is littered with instructions to carry out the very actions we're seeing in Iraq and Syria. And I don't know how he can attribute this violence to poverty... He is very liberal in his views, I consider myself liberal too, but not to anything like that extent.

I don't know how to respond... I've explained the "no true Scotsman" fallacy to him. I'm just lost for words.

Some people don't want to point fingers at religions that take peoples heads off.
Instead they will be critical of every other facet except the one that will get you killed.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
04-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Religion there created a backward society suffering from a lack of education. Fertile ground for extremists to spread rumors and put ideas in people's heads. Fear does the rest.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-10-2014, 04:46 PM
(04-10-2014 04:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  Fear does the rest.

Amen.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-10-2014, 05:19 PM
(04-10-2014 03:35 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  

False analogy. Spoons are not necessary for the intake of food which leads to obesity, we utilize them due to social custom. More importantly, they are not the motivating factor for obesity. The religious beliefs of ISIS members, on the other hand are the direct motivators of their justification for killing people; they wouldn't likely be motivated to kill people in the absence of their religious beliefs.

ISIS is waging a war to establish a state. That is their motivation. Religion is used as a tool to manipulate foot soldiers to fight for that end.