Apophis 2029 or 2036?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Apophis 2029 or 2036?
Searched the threads for this topic and didn't find anything on it but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion...

American and Russian scientists are not in full agreement with eachother on the asteroid called Apophis. Which they think will have a near earth flyby (close enough to brush against our atmosphere) in 2029. The Earth's gravitational pull will alter the asteroids orbit around the sun just enough that on it's pass in 2036 will actually hit Earth. Apophis is about 400m wide (size of the Rose Bowl). Here are some quick videos on the subject...

and this news report on it...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2011, 08:10 PM
RE: Apophis 2029 or 2036?
What? This guy?

[Image: peterwilliams2_480.jpg]

It's just a character from a TV show, Dude. No need to be afraid.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-12-2011, 08:20 PM
If it was going to hit us, i doubt they would tell us untill very near the time so as not to cause a panic.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
22-12-2011, 08:40 PM
(22-12-2011 08:20 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  If it was going to hit us, i doubt they would tell us untill very near the time so as not to cause a panic.

Sorry, "they" can't keep it a secret. First off, professional astronomers are unable to keep secrets. Second, the thousands and thousands of amateur astronomers won't keep secrets.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Still somthing to keep an eye on...

They'll have a chance to refine their data on this rock in 2013...

99942 Apophis Wiki

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
22-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Our instruments and understanding of physics (with those sort of distances involved) aren't good enough to have accurate predictions that far into the future. If the sun evaporated just a little of that asteroid and slightly altered its course it would have a huge impact on where it ends up 20 years from now.

If I was there right now and gave it a push it's final position in 20 years would be altered significantly. Probably enough to miss the planet by a long shot. If it does get close it might be a great idea to alter its trajectory enough to have it safely orbiting earth or our moon.

Then we can mine the hell out of it and learn allot in the process. Once we are done with it it can be sent flying into Mecca or the Vatican (I don't discriminate with religion) in a controlled de-orbit burn. That way some religious folk have a new rock to worship!

Of course I wouldn't want to kill anyone so they would all get a few months warning to evacuate if they so desire. Better not put me in charge of the space programme!
- Am I being serious here? I'll let YOU decide Big Grin

OK... enough mucking around... time for me to get some work done...
[Image: asteroid-2011-MD.jpg]

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss