Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Apostate
What are we going to do about this?

Quote:apostate
I
noun
a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc.
• Syn: deserter, renegade, turncoat, recreant, ratter
• Derivationally related forms: rat (for: ratter), recreant (for: recreant), renegade (for: renegade), apostatize, apostatise, desert (for: deserter)
• Hypernyms: quitter
II
adjective
not faithful to religion or party or cause
• Similar to: unfaithful

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2014, 06:24 PM
RE: Apostate
apostate |əˈpäsˌtāt; -tit|
noun
a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.
adjective
abandoning a religious or political belief or principle.

Probably nothing.

What do you mean "we"? Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
24-05-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2014 08:13 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
I did have something to say here but fuck it. What's the point?
[+] 7 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
24-05-2014, 08:47 PM
The definition mixes religion and politics - kind of supports my "atheism is a political doctrine" theory.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
24-05-2014, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2014 09:02 PM by Losty.)
You have us a word and a definition. What would you have us do about it? Lynch the dictionary man?

Here's what my dictionary says.

apos·tate
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈpäs-ˌtāt, -tət\
Function: noun
: one who commits apostasy

apos·ta·sy
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈpäs-tə-sē\
Function: noun
1 : renunciation of a religious faith
2 : abandonment of a previous loyalty

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
24-05-2014, 09:02 PM
You're going to have a problem here, too.

Quote:Proselytism /ˈprɒsəlɨˌtɪzəm/ is the act of attempting to convert people to another religion or opinion.[1][2] The word proselytize is derived ultimately from the Greek language prefix προσ- (pros-, toward) and the verb ἔρχομαι (érchomai, to come) in the form of προσήλυτος (prosélytos, a new comer).[3] Historically in the Koine Greek Septuagint and New Testament, the word proselyte denoted a gentile who was considering conversion to Judaism. Though the word proselytism originally referred to Early Christianity (and earlier Gentiles such as God-fearers), it now refers to the attempt of any religion or religious individuals to convert people to their beliefs, or any attempt to convert people to a different point of view, religious or not. Proselytism is illegal in some countries.[4]

24-05-2014, 09:05 PM
(24-05-2014 09:02 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  You're going to have a problem here, too.

Quote:Proselytism /ˈprɒsəlɨˌtɪzəm/ is the act of attempting to convert people to another religion or opinion.[1][2] The word proselytize is derived ultimately from the Greek language prefix προσ- (pros-, toward) and the verb ἔρχομαι (érchomai, to come) in the form of προσήλυτος (prosélytos, a new comer).[3] Historically in the Koine Greek Septuagint and New Testament, the word proselyte denoted a gentile who was considering conversion to Judaism. Though the word proselytism originally referred to Early Christianity (and earlier Gentiles such as God-fearers), it now refers to the attempt of any religion or religious individuals to convert people to their beliefs, or any attempt to convert people to a different point of view, religious or not. Proselytism is illegal in some countries.[4]

Huh

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
24-05-2014, 09:14 PM
When I have some degree of food poisoning, my body rejects it from all orifices.

Is that what apostates do with religion ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
24-05-2014, 09:18 PM
(24-05-2014 08:47 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The definition mixes religion and politics - kind of supports my "atheism is a political doctrine" theory.

Uhhhhhnnnno. The word or does not "mix" religion and politics.

The conjunction and does directly conflate religion and politics... as you seem to have done.
However, the conjunction or merely conflates the two words within the set of examples representing a definition. If anything, the word or actually provides a distinction between the two examples: religion or politics. Between; as in between separate things.
Yes, the miracle of the conjunction. Heart I love you Jack Sheldon.

TrainWreck, if you see atheism as a political doctrine, that is entirely up to you. Throughout centuries, people have used religion to support all kinds of ridiculous shit. No doubt you harbor similar notions of hijacking the term atheism to support some erroneous and/or nefarious garbage lining the layers of fat between your ears.

When you figure it out, don't bother announcing it here; the fucks anyone gives can not bee see with an electron microscope. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
24-05-2014, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 06:23 AM by Chas.)
(24-05-2014 08:47 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The definition mixes religion and politics - kind of supports my "atheism is a political doctrine" theory.

No, it doesn't.

It is about totalitarian theocracy and their psychotic cowardice.

And guess what? I'm an atheist and I'm not an apostate. So, there's that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user