App promises to double your reading speed or more.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 11:22 AM
App promises to double your reading speed or more.
http://elitedaily.com/news/technology/th...0-minutes/

Seems interesting and it didn't take me long to get the 400 wpm 500 was a little fast for me but I think if I actually tried it I could get there and beyond. Read a 1,000 page book in 10 hours? The makers of this app say it is possible.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
08-03-2014, 11:43 AM
RE: App promises to double your reading speed or more.
Why would I want to do that? I wouldn't be savoring or even tasting anything, I'd just be ingesting it. Do not want. No

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-03-2014, 11:45 AM
(08-03-2014 11:43 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why would I want to do that? I wouldn't be savoring or even tasting anything, I'd just be ingesting it. Do not want. No

I know what you mean. I read fast anyway and if anything I like taking my time with a good book. It could be more useful for a textbook or something that you just want to get through quickly.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
08-03-2014, 12:33 PM
That was pretty fun. So it sounds like the company is going to have their software integrated into other reading apps right? Like kindle may one day give you the option of turning on this feature for speed reading? That I could get on board with.

Edit: I was worried it would be an app that just teaches you how to speed read. I felt like if that was the case I'd loose out on some reading comprehension. But the way they present the words for you felt natural, and I felt like I still had full comprehension.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
08-03-2014, 12:55 PM
(08-03-2014 11:22 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://elitedaily.com/news/technology/th...0-minutes/

Seems interesting and it didn't take me long to get the 400 wpm 500 was a little fast for me but I think if I actually tried it I could get there and beyond. Read a 1,000 page book in 10 hours? The makers of this app say it is possible.

it would be nice,cuz my reading speed on my pc is drastically slower than reading a real book

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
08-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Hum... No thanks. It gets the info into the old brain OK. Just not for me... Reading isn't *just* about getting the info. It's about enjoying it. Absorbing it. I would definitely never read a novel this way. And textbooks require thought *around* the topic, not just the words on the page, so that's no go either.

Grumpy old man mode engaged Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
08-03-2014, 03:07 PM
I usually read a book wich contains around 700 pages in 4-5 hours depending on the size of letters if there's no distraction and if the book is exiting,but i only process the main details and if i'm done i give it slow read to get all the details.

08-03-2014, 03:32 PM
According to http://www.readingsoft.com/ i read with a speed of 1085 wpm.
I answered 9/11 quistions about the test correctly.
This is is fast as i can read w/o severely limiting my comperhension of the text i think

08-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I have this skill of pressing on the "next page" button on my phone and grasping the main idea at the glimpse of each page flying by, when I read online novels of little but still a little interest.

Convert that to WPM, should be like 12000 (Chinese words, on average 2 characters) /min, need no app, cost me nothing.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
08-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I took a speed reading class in high school...of course it wasn't nearly as high tech. But I still use the concepts with certain things that I need to get the gist of quickly. But for pleasure reading I read every word.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy