Appalling artcile on NPR blames anti-theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Appalling artcile on NPR blames anti-theists
Treats anti-theism as a violent trend that threatens the safety of theists. Apparently the author is ignorant of two millennia of religious history, as well as current events. This is maddening. Please share your thoughts with NPR.

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/15/386406810/...c-killings
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2015, 10:20 AM
RE: Appalling artcile on NPR blames anti-theists
Yeah -- those damned atheists... They get together every week and plot domination of the world....

Oh. wait...

That's the other guys.....

Nevermind...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
16-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Well, fuck. Maybe I should stop donating to NPR.

I always hate when a headline starts out with "Some See". It always strikes me as a license to say whatever the fuck you want, because if someone actually asks you to back your claim, you can say "Oh, that's not my stance. I'm just reporting what some others thing.".

[Who?]

Some say Christians are fuckin morons. See how easy that is? See how no one gives any credence to a statement that hollow?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
16-02-2015, 10:56 AM
To my mind, the evidence points away from a hate crime, and hate crimes are notoriously hard to prove anyway. The only thing of relevance to society is that the guy is in custody and will never see the light of day again. Three good people are dead no matter what the actual "thinking" behind his actions were. Neighbors state that he was an equal opportunity nutjob and hated / was annoyed by and was rude and threatening to virtually everyone.

I consider myself a curious person but one thing I'm never curious about is moving heaven and earth to "understand" the "reasoning" of crazy people -- or indeed, of many relatively sane people. Pay attention to and respond to what they do, not what they say or think.

I don't think differently about this guy because he claims to be (and probably is) an atheist. An atheist does not believe in any deities. Beyond that he can be a gun-toting paranoid schizo or a classic bleeding heart soup kitchen manager or anything in between.

@RobbyPants, I would not leave NPR out in the cold just over this unless you really want to cut off your nose to spite your face. NPR has always had to thread the needle of political correctness and cannot afford to be seen as "excusing" or turning a blind eye to hate crimes. Although no legitimate case for that could be made if they'd do an opinion piece similar to the one I am posting right now, perception is everything in the media world. I don't see how you could have an organization like NPR and not have it doing these kinds of tap dances.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
16-02-2015, 11:06 AM
(16-02-2015 10:56 AM)mordant Wrote:  @RobbyPants, I would not leave NPR out in the cold just over this unless you really want to cut off your nose to spite your face.

No, you're absolutely right. I was just a bit miffed when I read that. I agree that they do way more good than harm, and this is one article.
16-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Quote:a decision by the FBI to launch its own hate crime investigation in North Carolina.

Next Week's News:

FBI Arrest Billy Graham on the steps of his library in Charlotte, North Carolina.

16-02-2015, 11:45 AM
NPR has had some amazing "gaffs" lately with respect to this subject. I was mildly disturbed over their reporting on this over the weekend. Worse was, a few weeks ago, "On The Media" (Sunday media show) interviewed a Muslim (only, and NO counter-voice) and totally allowed her to get away, without the slightest "push-back", with saying that the Quran and Islam is a religion of "peace" and it's only the "extra-Quranic" texts that are violent. That is simply a pile af crap, perfectly evident by ANYONE who reads the Quran. I emailed the host, and got no reply.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-02-2015, 12:44 PM
The author states
but some experts see a new extremism developing among some atheists.
Which experts? What's the evidence for this developing trend? This is unsubstantiated, speculative 'journalism' at its worst.

Moreover
Reza Aslan says the anti-theists are few in number. But just as mainstream Muslims must confront the extremists in their communities, Aslan says, it's time for mainstream atheists to do the same.
"To recognize that there is a small fringe element that has a belief system predicated on the inherent nature of religion as insidious, as needing to be removed from society," he says.

Is that a fringe, dangerous view? I think most here believe our world will be far more livable without religion. You've just been labeled an extremist, and are suspect to being caught up in a developing trend of violence against theists. An insidious movement is one that spreads in a seemingly innocuous fashion but is in fact quite harmful. Is this not the character of religion? Must I be extremist to hold the view?

The implications of the article are absurd and deserving of apology. I would expect Fox news to draw these ridiculous connections. NPR needs to do their homework on the anti-theist movement, and provide an article with context when issuing its apology to its audience.
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post
16-02-2015, 01:00 PM
They actually named Richard Dawkins as someone "extremist atheists" look to, in the piece on the air. Sad

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Quote:but some experts see a new extremism developing among some atheists.
News to me. Please, do tell.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?